The Elfish Gene - Another attack on gamers

BaldHero

First Post
Wik said:
Ah, people can write books about anything.

For example, I just released my autobiographical memoirs about fighting in the Vietnam War. In it, I talk about how my platoon (that is what they're called, right? Platoons?) adopted a little Vietnamese Boy we named Ralph. We did a big fundraiser to send Ralph off to an American College, and eventually, we raffled off a nurse.

Oh, wait. That was an episode of M*A*S*H*

In any case, one book ain't gonna hurt anything.

Nope, that wasnt M*A*S*H*. Couldnt have been.
M*A*S*H* took place during the Korean war.
At least that's what Hawkeye told me.
L.

Wik

First Post
Yeah, well. Hawkeye was in 'Nam, man. He carried around a +3 longbow. Everyone thought he was nuts.

...until we encountered The Predator...

...Read all about it in my book, "Vietnam for Dummies!", due out on bookshelves April 2007.

Banshee16

First Post
Hussar said:
HOw is this an attack on gamers when it's written about how a gamer had problems growing up as a gamer? Like none of us ever hid our hobby? Like none of us ever felt kinda weirded out when people asked us what we did on a Saturday afternoon? Looks an awful lot like the Forty Year Old Virgin to me.

That's a good point. I'm probably not your stereotypical gamer myself, but I have many memories of hiding the hobby. One thing I've realilzed is that far more people than I ever though either play, or have played. My oldest friend was the football quarterback on his high school team, and I never mentioned anything about the game to him. Until one day, visiting him after being away for a few years, I noticed the rack of Drizzt novels on his bookshelf, and the booted up copy of BG II on his computer. Other friends in University I hid the hobby from, only to learn afterwards that they themselves played, but had hid the hobby from me. We were already friends, and to find out that they play also was cool. In my office, a tonne of my coworkers either currently play, or have played before. Most of us had no idea about each other's interest in the game, because people are so busy hiding it.

Admittedly, the passtime is kind of silly. Pretending to be elves and dwarves and such, on the surface level, does seem weird. But I look back on it, and it gave me an outlet for my creativity, taught about teamwork and preparation, and helped keep me out of drugs and stuff during my teenage years. None of these are bad things.

Maybe the book will be funny...so long as it doesn't perpetrate stereotypes.

Banshee

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Nifft said:
Cricket has fans? Like, actual living ones?
Heh - are you high?

I'm no fan of cricket, but I do live in Australia, where we are presently hosting the English team for the traditional Test cricket series for the Ashes. You can't get away from cricket!

There are ten full members of the International Cricket Council - Australia, England, South Africa, India, New Zealand, the West Indies, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, and Bangladesh - representing roughly 1.58 billion people, or about 24.3% of the world. That's about 5.25 times as many people as there are in the United States.

Cricket is the most popular sport in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, which total about 1.44 billion people. It's also the dominant sport here in Australia and in the British Caribbean, the West Indies. It's the second most popular sport in the world, after soccer.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Tequila Sunrise said:
Ugh, this is disgusting. Elfs? Dwarfs? Learn English syntax before you write a review!
Tolkien invented the "-ves" plural for "elves" and "dwarves".

I prefer it myself, despite disliking Tolkien, but "elfs" and "dwarfs" are not incorrect plurals.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Hussar said:
HOw is this an attack on gamers when it's written about how a gamer had problems growing up as a gamer? Like none of us ever hid our hobby? Like none of us ever felt kinda weirded out when people asked us what we did on a Saturday afternoon? Looks an awful lot like the Forty Year Old Virgin to me.

I don't know what you're talking about. I don't game.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Nifft said:
Cricket has fans? Like, actual living ones?

Anyway... like others have said, the write up makes it look more like a memoir than a thinly veiled attack, so it could be good fun... if anything, I expect the attacks on the UK education system to be the scathing part.

Cheers, -- N

Sure there are real, living ones. Our Prime Minister has made "liking cricket" a condition of citizenship in our country. :D It is pretty popular around much orf the commonwealth, though. Personally I mainly like it when we can kick the butt of the old Motherland... like we just did. :D :p

You are right, the book does look good. I guess I was exasperated by the hand-wringing and panic that seemed to be shown initially in the thread and didn't read the review thoroughly enough. :\ I'll have to keep an eye on it.

pogre

Legend
I have never understood why some gamers care if the game is popular or dies. I have the core rules, I have the ability to bring non-gamers into my gaming group. If WOTC ceases tomorrow we will keep playing. If the hobby dies with us, that's ok. I don't see a lot of people throwing Tali dice around these days either.*

*Unless they're playing FVLMINATA of course!

Remove ads