Unconverted Dragon magazine creatures

Big Mac

Explorer
Dulsi (from The Piazza forums) tells me that there was an African Beholder in Dragon Magazine 215. I can't find it in your index, so don't know if it has been converted or been missed. Can you please add it to the appropriate lists when you have time.

(In case you are interested in the original context, here is his original post from the Planar Beholder thread in the Planescape forum of The Piazza. He is the same guy who found the Zombie Beholder from SJA1 Wildspace, so I think he knows his eyestalk from his elbow. ;) )

If you need a page number please ask and I'll ask him to look it up (or surf over and ask him directly).

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Way ahead of you on that ;). I scoured the Piazza thread when you first mentioned the zombie beholder, spotted the mention of African beholders and checked Dragon 215. There isn't a stat block for an African beholder there, instead, it is mentioned only that African beholders have the same variant abilities as Nyame's avatar, and those variations are described. That's enough for the African beholder to get added to the index, but not quite enough to make the cut for a listing as an unconverted creature. (There is enough info there to make a conversion possible, but in cataloguing the unconverted creatures from Dragon, I haven't usually included minor variations.)

Big Mac

Explorer
Way ahead of you on that ;). I scoured the Piazza thread when you first mentioned the zombie beholder, spotted the mention of African beholders and checked Dragon 215.

I thought you might, but also thought it was possible that you wouldn't. I should have posted my earlier comment at the same time as the SJ beholder comment (in the other thread). I was in a bit of a hurry at the time, then realised that this one might get missed.

There isn't a stat block for an African beholder there, instead, it is mentioned only that African beholders have the same variant abilities as Nyame's avatar, and those variations are described. That's enough for the African beholder to get added to the index, but not quite enough to make the cut for a listing as an unconverted creature. (There is enough info there to make a conversion possible, but in cataloguing the unconverted creatures from Dragon, I haven't usually included minor variations.)

Hmm. It must be hard to know where to draw the line. :confused:

I don't have that Dragon. Are the African Beholders supposed to be Nyame worshipers (or servants of Nyame)? If they have a strong tie-in to a non-beholder god, that could make them an interesting addition to a game that features beholders.

Off the top of your head, how many minor variations do you think exist? Is it in the dozens, hundreds or thousands?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I don't have that Dragon. Are the African Beholders supposed to be Nyame worshipers (or servants of Nyame)? If they have a strong tie-in to a non-beholder god, that could make them an interesting addition to a game that features beholders.
The variant stats provided in the article are actually for Nyame's avatar, with a note that those stats are also applicable to African beholders.
Off the top of your head, how many minor variations do you think exist? Is it in the dozens, hundreds or thousands?
A few hundred, would be my estimate. Possibly several hundred, depending on how generously you want to count variations. Most of the variations were captured in the index, but I'm sure there are plenty that I missed or just didn't seem significant enough to warrant indexing.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We've knocked off a few of these recently...

Dragon #133: Diopatra, Neries
Dragon #191: Faerie Phiz
Dragon #261: Trow (Myth)
Dragon #262: Sohmien

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk,

To help you catch up, here are the ones that can be removed from the list:

Dragon #35: Dominations - Outsider; Virtues - Outsider
Dragon #133: Eurythoe - Vermin; Glycera - Vermin; Vanadis - Vermin
Dragon #137: Astrapotherium - Animal; Bear, Deinotherium - Animal;
Dragon #176: Armored Predatory Fish - Animal
Dragon #191: Faerie Phiz - Fey
Dragon #251: Bloodstinger - Dragon;
Dragon #262: Trelon - Aberration
Dragon #270: Burrower - Construct; Roller - Construct

Shade

Monster Junkie
A few more now converted...

Dragon #35: Angels of the Ninth Order - Outsider
Dragon #42: Apollyon - Outsider;
Dragon #122: Chemosit - Outsider; Getiet - Monstrous Humanoid;
Dragon #131: Greater Aboleth - Aberration;
Dragon #270: Arcanosheen - Construct; Power Tree - Construct

Shade

Monster Junkie
We've finished the following:

• Dragon #26: Goat Demon - Undead; Vampire-Spectre - Undead
  • Dragon #54: Boggart - Fey;
  • Dragon #118: Spider Cat - Magical Beast
  • Dragon #138: Shock Bones - Undead
  • Dragon #190: Alicorn - Magical Beast; Bay unicorn - Magical Beast; (You didn't have the black unicorn listed, but it turned out rather different from the Faerunian version)
  • Dragon #239: Boggart - Fey;
  • Dragon Annual #2: Crystal Skeletons - Undead
  • Dragon #250: Diving Beetle, Giant - Vermin;
  • Dragon #255: Golem, Nyraala - Construct

Remove ads