+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    GM's DayCMG

Ignore Mark CMG

WotC Re-Brands Winter Fantasy as D&D Experience

How many EN Worlders are familiar with and/or have gone to the Winter Fantasy gaming convention over the years? What do you know of it?

It is now called D&D Experience - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/ddxp/hotel

As I recall, this took place just outside Chicago for a while before moving on to Fort Wayne, Indiana, and then elsewhere in the East, no?

Do you think strengthening its ties to D&D, specifically, is the prelude to using it as the primary platform for the announcement and, perhaps, the eventual unveiling of 4E?
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

Please, help boost the signal!

http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

Scout (Lvl 6)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Lalato
    Mark,
    I don't know about 4E, but I do know that I'll be there playing a ton of D&D Minis.

--sam
    EN World City Project Threads: The Free City of Mor's End

My D&D Minis and Dreamblade Have/Want List @ Hordelings.com

"Nor stony tower, nor walls of beaten brass,
    Nor airless dungeon, nor strong links of iron,
    Can be retentive to the strength of spirit." -- Wm. Shakespeare (iconic bard)

The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    D&D Associate Brand Manager, Kevin Wilson, speaking at GenCon 2006:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wilson
    "...the show currently known as Winter Fantasy will be the primary place to push D&D, and 2007 will reveal a lot";

Since it's in Virginia this year (meaning I won't be going), I think it's smart to rename it as D&D Experience.
    Looking for a convention game, custom adventure for your gaming group, or a playtest? Please join my Google Group and mailing list.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Treebore
    If they keep it in VA I won't ever be going. Part of the reason I go to GenCon Indy is because of where I live (Arizona). I also do not like the Con in LA. So it may be "the" D&D experience, but its an experience I will never have.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Mod Squad
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Umbran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark CMG
    Do you think strengthening its ties to D&D, specifically, is the prelude to using it as the primary platform for the announcement and, perhaps, the eventual unveiling of 4E?
    No. I would think it might just as easily indicate the opposite.

GenCon is huge. There's a great deal of stuff going on. While really big announcements would still be noted there, smaller things could very well get lost in the shuffle. Moving D&D focus to another con means they don't have to compete for attention.

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    GM's DayCMG

Ignore Mark CMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalato
    Mark,
    I don't know about 4E, but I do know that I'll be there playing a ton of D&D Minis.

--sam

Hiya, Sam!

Have you been going to other Winter Fantasy conventions over the years?

As always,
    Mark CMG

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    GM's DayCMG

Ignore Mark CMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    If they keep it in VA I won't ever be going. Part of the reason I go to GenCon Indy is because of where I live (Arizona). I also do not like the Con in LA. So it may be "the" D&D experience, but its an experience I will never have.

I'm glad to see the folks in VA are getting a good sized D&D convention but it seems odd to make it the primary place for D&D announcements and releases. I'm sure the choice of the Indy location for GenCon had something to do with its centralized position in the USA and, thus, its ability to draw from its traditional core, from points further south and west, and to increase attendance from the East coast. They must be aware that a VA location doesn't allow maximized attendance of D&Ders.

As always,
    Mark CMG

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Treebore
    If they want to have a separate identity but have a draw similiar to GenCon, they definitely, in my mind anyways, need to keep it somewhere in the middle of America. The Texas panhandle would be nice, IMO. Of course then that would make things more difficult for Canadians that go to GenCon. Probably not significantly worse than going to VA, though.

Same deal for people coming from Wisconsin and other driveable distances to GenCon. However, I think they are aware of enough accurate gamer demographics to know which Con location will give them the best gamer turn out. I doubt VA is anywhere close to giving them that, though,
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Scout (Lvl 6)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Lalato
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark CMG
    Hiya, Sam!

Have you been going to other Winter Fantasy conventions over the years?
    This will be my first one. I'm pretty excited. You can see the schedule of events here...

http://www.consupport.com/index.asp?Con=72

I'll be playing in the D&D Minis Limited Championship. Should be a fun weekend.

--sam
    EN World City Project Threads: The Free City of Mor's End

My D&D Minis and Dreamblade Have/Want List @ Hordelings.com

"Nor stony tower, nor walls of beaten brass,
    Nor airless dungeon, nor strong links of iron,
    Can be retentive to the strength of spirit." -- Wm. Shakespeare (iconic bard)

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast