WotC Re-Brands Winter Fantasy as D&D Experience

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
How many EN Worlders are familiar with and/or have gone to the Winter Fantasy gaming convention over the years? What do you know of it?

It is now called D&D Experience - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/ddxp/hotel

As I recall, this took place just outside Chicago for a while before moving on to Fort Wayne, Indiana, and then elsewhere in the East, no?

Do you think strengthening its ties to D&D, specifically, is the prelude to using it as the primary platform for the announcement and, perhaps, the eventual unveiling of 4E?

Treebore

First Post
If they keep it in VA I won't ever be going. Part of the reason I go to GenCon Indy is because of where I live (Arizona). I also do not like the Con in LA. So it may be "the" D&D experience, but its an experience I will never have.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mark CMG said:
Do you think strengthening its ties to D&D, specifically, is the prelude to using it as the primary platform for the announcement and, perhaps, the eventual unveiling of 4E?

No. I would think it might just as easily indicate the opposite.

GenCon is huge. There's a great deal of stuff going on. While really big announcements would still be noted there, smaller things could very well get lost in the shuffle. Moving D&D focus to another con means they don't have to compete for attention.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Lalato said:
Mark,
I don't know about 4E, but I do know that I'll be there playing a ton of D&D Minis. :)

--sam

Hiya, Sam!

Have you been going to other Winter Fantasy conventions over the years?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Treebore said:
If they keep it in VA I won't ever be going. Part of the reason I go to GenCon Indy is because of where I live (Arizona). I also do not like the Con in LA. So it may be "the" D&D experience, but its an experience I will never have.

I'm glad to see the folks in VA are getting a good sized D&D convention but it seems odd to make it the primary place for D&D announcements and releases. I'm sure the choice of the Indy location for GenCon had something to do with its centralized position in the USA and, thus, its ability to draw from its traditional core, from points further south and west, and to increase attendance from the East coast. They must be aware that a VA location doesn't allow maximized attendance of D&Ders.

Treebore

First Post
If they want to have a separate identity but have a draw similiar to GenCon, they definitely, in my mind anyways, need to keep it somewhere in the middle of America. The Texas panhandle would be nice, IMO. Of course then that would make things more difficult for Canadians that go to GenCon. Probably not significantly worse than going to VA, though.

Same deal for people coming from Wisconsin and other driveable distances to GenCon. However, I think they are aware of enough accurate gamer demographics to know which Con location will give them the best gamer turn out. I doubt VA is anywhere close to giving them that, though,

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases