WotC Re-Brands Winter Fantasy as D&D Experience

MarauderX

Explorer
It's been outside of DC because Crystal City has the capacity to house the event and have cheaper hotels. You can probably see the Pentagon from most of the rooms and rub elbows with the contractor/government types in the elevators.

I'll be there again this year. It is VERY RPGA oriented, and is supposedly the biggest RPGA event of the year.

I'm glad it's in VA; if GENCON is where it is every year, then I'll never be going.

I got to talk to a few of the Wizards writers in the past years. I have the impression they hate crunching the numbers for the system to ensure nothing is 'broken'. Instead it seems that the minis with stories, adventures and stats have been stressed as the Wizards focus.

I'll see how it is just to have fun, but the adventures and DMs gotta get better instead of consistently worse. Keep in mind they probably DM just for the goodies they get. I'll report back on it when it happens, but keep in mind that I do not have my fingers on the pulse of the industry.

MarauderX

Explorer
Treebore said:
However, I think they are aware of enough accurate gamer demographics to know which Con location will give them the best gamer turn out. I doubt VA is anywhere close to giving them that, though,

Try again. I would imagine any pan-handle in the midwest is worse than the middle of a metropolis.

MarauderX

Explorer
Mark CMG said:
They must be aware that a VA location doesn't allow maximized attendance of D&Ders.
Ok, more VA props coming.

It is right across the river from DC. People can drive from as far away as Chicago or Boston in less than 12 hours. NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Raleigh are relatively close, certainly drivable. You can walk to National Airport from the hotel in 15 minutes, but with the shuttle services you don't have to. The location is equiped and experienced enough with people shuttling in from anywhere in the world, let alone this country. And by population alone it is central to much more than you might think.

mathogre

First Post
When I look at the consupport site, what strikes me is that the event is suitable for the completely inexperienced and the expert, but nothing for anyone in between. If you want to learn D&D, you can. If you're into environments well outside of the core game, you too can have fun. I see nothing for me, someone who is probably a novice by now - don't need to play a beginner game but have never touched Eberron or Greyhawk, or played any minis (other than using them as markers at the gaming table).

Sure, I'm local, and have attended events at the Hyatt (nice place), but I just don't see what it has to offer me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases