WotC Re-Brands Winter Fantasy as D&D Experience

dpmcalister

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
D&D have the D&D Experience.

Star Wars have the Star Wars Celebration.

What the hell do we have for pushing d20 Modern? :\
But D&D and Star Wars are brands that the general public are, invariably, aware of (even if they aren't gamers). d20 Modern, for better or worse, is very much outside of the mainstream, even in roleplaying circles.

Lalato

Adventurer
mathogre said:
When I look at the consupport site, what strikes me is that the event is suitable for the completely inexperienced and the expert, but nothing for anyone in between. If you want to learn D&D, you can. If you're into environments well outside of the core game, you too can have fun. I see nothing for me, someone who is probably a novice by now - don't need to play a beginner game but have never touched Eberron or Greyhawk, or played any minis (other than using them as markers at the gaming table).

Sure, I'm local, and have attended events at the Hyatt (nice place), but I just don't see what it has to offer me.

mathogre, I don't think I understand. Have you ever played an RPGA event? These aren't expert-only sorts of things. They're for novices too. All you need to be able to do is roll up a 1st level character. If you can do that, you can play in almost any RPGA event. :)

As for D&D Minis, if you enjoy the tactical side of D&D, it's a great way to hone your skills. I also find it's good for when you don't have enough people to play an actual D&D game. Besides, the minis are fun to collect.

--sam

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Maybe someday they'll have in New Orleans, a very popular convention site, but then again we as a community might not get a lot of gaming done due to everyone going to the French Quarter. Which by the way was not flooded due to Katrina, it is the highest part of the city and is definately open for business. My girlfriend and I drove down there for Christmas shopping just this past Friday and it looked normal to me and I been going there since I was a kid. I'd like to have a large D&D Con only an hour away, yeah, I'd like that a lot.

mathogre

First Post
Lalato said:
mathogre, I don't think I understand. Have you ever played an RPGA event? These aren't expert-only sorts of things. They're for novices too. All you need to be able to do is roll up a 1st level character. If you can do that, you can play in almost any RPGA event. :)
I've never done an RPGA event. I've seen the RPGA pages at the Wizards site and would like to participate in their games, but never found an event near me that looked appropriate.

I can certainly roll up a 1st level character! So what actually goes on in one of these? I'll confess to having Asperger's (high functioning autism). I don't function very well in unfamiliar situations unless I have some idea as to how things work. I can assure you that playing D&D with people (versus programming a computer by myself) was a considerable challenge to me. Programming computers is easy; being in social situations with real live people is scary if I don't know what to expect. (That said, most people find I am outwardly quite sociable and function well in social situations. I mostly hide the inside churning.)

If you care to elaborate on the kinds of things that happen in an RPGA event such as this, I'd appreciate it! If it is better split to another thread, please feel free to do so. (No need to drift off topic.)

Thanks in advance! ^_^

DonTadow

First Post
we opted not to go to this thing a few months ago. Just doesnt seem fun to have one type of dungeons and dragons played. RPGA isnt for anyone and they won't be having any independant games from what I understand.

ssampier

First Post
It seems like Wizards has been at a loss what to do with Winter Fantasy. I'm glad it has new focus.

Everyone is talking about 4.0; I am more afraid of 3.75 being released.

Vanuslux said:
"D&D Experience"? Ugh. Terrible name. I'd be embarrassed to speak it aloud.

Other names:

D&D Xtreme
D&D To Da Max
D&D XP
D&D Winter
D&D Unlimited

There are worse names. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases