WotC Re-Brands Winter Fantasy as D&D Experience

Vanuslux

Explorer
Mark CMG said:
Might be considered a step in the right direction from Winter Fantasy. :)

I could say Winter Fantasy with a straight face in mixed company when talking about vacation plans. Just as I can say Dragon*Con and Frolicon. D&D Experience crosses the line into Napolean Dynamite levels of dorkiness.

Aaron L

Hero
Why don't they just call it the Dungeons & Dragons Convention?

Well, I guess they were going for the whole XP point thing. It makes sense in a cutesy marketing kind of logic.

I can see an advertising slogan right now: "Level Up with the D&D Experience!"

Vanuslux

Explorer
Aaron L said:
Why don't they just call it the Dungeons & Dragons Convention?

Well, I guess they were going for the whole XP point thing. It makes sense in a cutesy marketing kind of logic.

I can see an advertising slogan right now: "Level Up with the D&D Experience!"

The fact that the name involves a pun is one of the key reasons I hate it so much.

Lalato

Adventurer
mathogre said:
I've never done an RPGA event. I've seen the RPGA pages at the Wizards site and would like to participate in their games, but never found an event near me that looked appropriate.

I can certainly roll up a 1st level character! So what actually goes on in one of these?

I don't think this is hijacking at all. We're still talking abou the same event. :)

Here's how it works...

1. You create a first level character using the rules provided by the RPGA. Here are the rules for Living Greyhawk... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/dndlg/startplaying

2. Normally, you would need to find a local RPGA group or club, but if you go to a convention, you'll find plenty of RPGA action there.

3. If you go to a convention, you'll need to sign up for the adventures you want to play. For your first RPGA adventure check to see if there are "Introductory" adventures available. These are basically 1st level adventures. If you can't find any of those, look for Adventures with an APL of 2 (the range might go higher, but if it starts at 2 you'll be ok). Sign up for as many adventures as you can fit in during the convention.

4. Before your adventure is supposed to start you'll go to a staging area for players. This is where characters of different levels can be sorted out so that parties can be made with similar levels. As a 1st level character, you'll likely be paired up with other 1st or 2nd level characters. If you bring a friend, you can probably play in the same adventure together. If you bring a whole group, you can all play in the same adventure together. RPGA will provide the DM for the group.

5. Next you'll go to the room where you'll play the adventure. Most likely this is a large convention hall that can accomodate many, many tables... and many groups just like yours.

6. After that... the adventure begins... and your party will have 4 to 5 hours to complete it.

7. After the adventure is over... you go on to the next one.

--sam

qstor

Adventurer
I went to Winter Fantasy when it was in Ft. Wayne in 2002. IIRC that was the last year it was in the Midwest. The games at D&D Experience will all RPGA games and D&D mini events.

Mike

Remove ads