How to Write a Story Hour (by el-remmen)

pogre

Legend
Worthy of a bump for the solid advice.

It seems like the SH section has slowed a fair amount in the last few months. I hope others are encouraged to give it a shot.

ellinor

Explorer

It seems like the SH section has slowed a fair amount in the last few months. I hope others are encouraged to give it a shot.

We have!
To follow El-Remmen's sage advice about pimpage, my .sig has a link to the story hour that Ilex and I are writing (following the exploits of the Halmae group, which includes some alums from piratecat's game and jonrog1), entitled "A Rose in the Wind: A Saga of the Halmae."

Thanks, El-Remmen!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I hope you will forgive me and indulge my bumping my own thread, but it has been three years since this was near the top and figured some newer SH writers may be looking for advice.

Alternately, not being a regular around here anymore, I am curious if anyone finds any of my advice out of date or if there is anything that has developed in the meantime.

Happy gaming!

Sic_Pixie

First Post
Forgiven; it is a damn good read and I had wished I had read it prior to starting my own. I made some of the mistakes you outlined. Posting too long a post too early on for instance; moderated the enthusiasm now though. Still have not figured out how to link to my own SH in my Sig though. Oh well I am sure I will figure it out in time.

SH’s are a lot of work and thank you for your post.

Sic

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Stickified.

Even for someone experienced writing game accounts, this is still food for thought. Well done.

Maybe I should bother to make my stuff available for dl eventually. But right now no patience for it ;)

GordyK

First Post
I'm currently in the process of publishing my own D&D Campaign. Completed it will be roughly 200-300 pages. One question I have is, I'd like to add pictures of my own dungeons I have created into my book. Is there a simplified way to doing this without distorting things. I want a feel much like a D&D campaign published book. I use open-office at the moment. Any help?

For me it was a combo of a long time out from players and also lack on commentary / support. I'm back to doing Storyhours but still wish there was more support. I know I'm NOT a professional writer by any means but I like think myself imaginative and funny. But that is the nature of Storyhours here.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I agree on the support issue, I make it a point to comment on all the stories I manage to read and expect the same from others. I sometimes rather do something else than write SHs if I'm not sure it gets read by anyone else but my players. I still get it done but it's going much slower.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases