Spell selection for an 8th level sorcerer

randomling

First Post
Hi everyone!

I'm making an 8th level halfling sorcerer for a PbP on these boards. I haven't played for a while, and I'm good with most aspects of character creation, but I need a little help with her spell selection. I've picked a list, but I'd really like some of you to have a look at it and see what you think! The idea is for her to be a combat-oriented sorcerer who has a good set of options between supporting the party and blasting the heck out of her foes. (Which I pretty much think means that Fireball and Haste are non-negotiable! :) )

Here's the list - help would be much appreciated!

0-level (8) Detect Magic, Resistance, Flare, Acid Splash, Light, Touch Of Fatigue, Disrupt Undead, Detect Poison
1st level* (5) Magic Missile, Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Feather Fall, Protection From Evil
2nd level (3) Bull’s Strength**, Invisibility***, Scorching Ray
3rd level (2) Fireball, Haste
4th level (1) Ice Storm

*I totally wasn't sure what to do with 1st level spells. She has bracers, so I left out Mage Armour. I'm not convinced by Expeditious Retreat or Feather Fall; should I take another offensive spell or something?
**Not sure whether to take Bull's Strength for the party, at a level where most characters who boost their strength will probably have magic items to help, or take something more selfish like Cat's Grace or Owl's Wisdom.
***When I have another 4th level spell I'll probably ditch this for something else (See Invis?) and take Greater Invis.

Thank you very much in advance! :)

szilard

First Post
Are you limited to spells from the PHB? As a second level spell, instead of Bull's Strength, consider Alter Self, Glitterdust, or Shatter.

When I play a sorcerer, I always try to take some spells that are extremely flexible (prestidigitation, illusion spells, alter self, shrink item, etc.).

-Stuart

Darklone

Prestidigitation is a must. Sooo many options. Dancing Lights is my favorite. Used it once to pinpoint the enemy archwizard while my bard was sitting with 0 hp next to a wall out of melee. Won the fight for us.

I'd get the Fiery Burst feat for that sorcerer. Means you can always burn someone for 3d6 damage as long as you have a fireball or level 4 spell left.

As a level 1 spell: Perhaps Kelgores bolt from PHB 2? Fits the fire theme.

Edit: Pick per spell level 1 Will save spell, one Refl and one Fort. Then one defense spell and one utility spell. That's a good sorcerer rule.

Hedgemage

First Post
I second the motion that Glitterdust be chosen. Its versatility is what makes it shine.
I'm also a big fan of the Fly spell for 3rd level. In outdoor settings its great to be off limits to melee fighters and maintain unbroken lines of effect. I'd pick fly over Haste.

Darklone

Hedgemage said:
I second the motion that Glitterdust be chosen. Its versatility is what makes it shine.
I'm also a big fan of the Fly spell for 3rd level. In outdoor settings its great to be off limits to melee fighters and maintain unbroken lines of effect. I'd pick fly over Haste.
I think Haste vs. Fly is mostly a matter of your group. If you have three archers, Haste beats anything. If you have mostly spellcasters, Fly.

Outdoor settings? Especially in outdoor settings archers can shine. I fondly remember the time when I nearly killed a wizard twiced my level with my bow because he couldn't close to fireball distance :D

Thanee

First Post
Hello randomling and a Happy New Year! :D

randomling said:
0-level (8) Detect Magic, Resistance, Flare, Acid Splash, Light, Touch Of Fatigue, Disrupt Undead, Detect Poison

No Flare, no Resistance, both are useless at this level. I'd also leave Disrupt Undead, you have better options at hurting them (and enough slots for those usually).

Get Prestidigitation, Message and then Read Magic or Mage Hand.

1st level* (5) Magic Missile, Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Feather Fall, Protection From Evil

Feather Fall is nice to have, as is Expeditious Retreat, both can come in handy, but there are other cool spells here, especially Ray of Enfeeblement, which also helps to support your companions, Identify, unless there is someone else able to cast it, Mage Armor (and drop the bracers for something more useful), having that spell also allows you to help fighters against incorporeal undead and their nasty touch attacks.

2nd level (3) Bull’s Strength**, Invisibility***, Scorching Ray

I wouldn't get Bull's Strength for the reasons you outlined already. Glitterdust is a very good choice, as is Web, or even Rope Trick (handy little spell that, when you need to hide or rest in ... err ... undisturbed).

non-negotiable ;)

4th level (1) Ice Storm

Dimension Door is damn useful, or Fire Shield, or Evard's Black Tentacles, or Summon Monster IV (d3 Apes or a Lion are not too bad at this level), or Confusion (i.e. have something to target Will saves), or Charm Monster.

You already have Fireball, Scorching Ray and Magic Missile, which you can also use your 4th-level slots for. That's enough firepower!

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

satori01

First Post
I have become fond of 2 separate 2 level spells:

Combust
and Cloud of Beguilement.

Combust is a touch attack that deals 1d6/level up to 10 dice, and if the target fails a reflex save, they catch on fire. This spell has a good damage to level out put, can easily kill things at low level, and can be delivered by Familiar at higher levels. It is a good candidate for Meta Magic feats, Reach and Empower being obvious choices.

Cloud of Beguilement, is a little gem I picked up from Neverwinter Nights 2, (though it is not implemented strictly by the rules in the CG). Creatures inside the cloud are nauseated, and must make a fort save every round once in the cloud. Even if you leave the cloud, you are still nauseated for 4 rounds . The cloud also creates concealment.

For a 2 level spell, that packs a lot of punch.

Thanee

First Post
That cloud spell is pretty nasty, considering it's only 2nd level (and Stinking Cloud is 3rd, and does pretty much the same, just with a bigger radius, which isn't always helpful ;)).

Bye
Thanee

randomling

First Post
Hi everyone - thank you so much for all your advice and thoughts! :)

I'm pretty much limited to PHB sources (since I only have access to the SRD at the moment) so I'm sticking with core spells. But the suggestions you made are great - I hadn't even noticed Glitterdust and Web!

I think this is the final list:

0-level (8) Detect Magic, Acid Splash, Light, Touch Of Fatigue, Detect Poison, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message
1st level (5) Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Mage Armour, Protection From Evil, Identify
2nd level (3) Web, Invisibility, Glitterdust
4th level (1) Confusion

If I want to hurt stuff I guess I'm going to be casting Fireball. But hey, that's what it's for. And Confusion is fun!

Thank you! :D

Remove ads