Minnesota Gamers - Something You Should Be Aware Of - (LGS Rant)

JesterPoet

First Post
I found out yesterday that our Friendly Local Gaming Store, The Source, in Falcon Heights Minnesota is not as "friendly" as they would lead us to believe. Yesterday my friend tried to return an UNOPENED $60 board game (Marvel Heroes) that he had purchased for me, for which he had a receipt. He was told that The Source will not refund money on ANY returns, but will only give store credit.

I confirmed this with one of their employees via e-mail, as I was AMAZED that this could be their policy. An unopened game, with a receipt is not returnable for a refund? It is true. Here is the response I got:

"Thanks for your e-mail yesterday. I'm genuinely saddened by the fact that you are so disappointed with us regarding your friend's purchase at our store and our return policy.

Unfortunately, because of a multitude of reasons, our return policy is firm.

We understand the consequences of this policy and appreciate your patronage from years past. Furthermore, we wish you the best of luck wherever your path takes you."

I wanted to make sure everyone knows how little The Source values our business. For years I have made a special effort to purchase some gaming materials at The Source in order to support them, under the inaccurate belief that I was supporting a "mom & pop" enterprise, who would offer me better customer service than the online stores who would give me MUCH better prices.

I've now learned that this is a joke. I've learned that there is NO REASON to shop at The Source, and for that reason I never will. I am completely done with The Source. I will do my shopping online, and from other gaming stores in Minnesota (of which there are some).

I urge you to take this to heart and take your business elsewhere. I think if you take a moment and truly consider this policy, you'll realize how asinine it really is. I can go to a mom & pop hardware store, and return a circular saw I bought there, even after I've opened and used it. Why can't I return a board game that is still in the shrink wrap, with a receipt, to a "mom & pop" game store?

Save your money, buy online. Marvel Heroes at The Source is $59.99. At Fairplaygames.com it is $41.95. Online you don't pay tax, and can even avoid the minimal shipping charge if you buy enough games at a time. But even with shipping it is cheaper. There are other games with an even bigger price disparity, plus, gaming books are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper from a multitude of sources online. Plus, I can return my items for a full refund at any of these stores.

I make an effort not to bad-mouth places unless I think I really got a bad deal from them. In this situation, I think that is really the case. I think the image that The Source presents is a sham, and that they don't deserve our loyalty. You, obviously, have to make your own decisions, but I really hope you take this to heart, and avoid doing business with them.

Last edited:

Teneb

Explorer
Wow. I guess I was under the impression that returns for store credit are fairly commonplace. I've only been to the source a few times, but the folks there seemed quite friendly and I was satisfied with their selection. I can understand you not liking the policy and perhaps even not shopping there; the response just seems a little overboard to me.

Out of morbid curiosity, why did your friend buy the game from you only to turn around and take it back to the store?

Zerovoid

First Post
Well, it would be nice to get a cash refund I guess, but I'm not sure what's so bad about this. If you're a gamer, you're probably going to buy something at The Source sooner or later anyway, so what does it really matter whether you got money or store credit? I'm not going to stop shopping there on principle based on this.

JesterPoet

First Post
Zerovoid said:
Well, it would be nice to get a cash refund I guess, but I'm not sure what's so bad about this. If you're a gamer, you're probably going to buy something at The Source sooner or later anyway, so what does it really matter whether you got money or store credit? I'm not going to stop shopping there on principle based on this.

Because after 5 years of shopping regularly at the store, I think I deserve better customer service.

Actually, I think anyone who goes out of their way to shop at a store rather than online deserves better customer service than that. I've spent more money with them just to support their business. Don't I deserve good customer service in return? Cash returns (or, more accurately, a refund on the credit card it was purchased on) are pretty darned commonplace nowadays.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I don't shop at places that don't allow cash returns, at least for unopened merchandise with receipt. But ultimately I cannot see a single reason to shop at a regular LGS. Amazon just freakin' kills them in every way, shape, and form. If Amazon doesn't have it then I just go to the source and buy online from the game maker.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
JesterPoet said:
Because after 5 years of shopping regularly at the store, I think I deserve better customer service.

Actually, I think anyone who goes out of their way to shop at a store rather than online deserves better customer service than that. I've spent more money with them just to support their business. Don't I deserve good customer service in return? Cash returns (or, more accurately, a refund on the credit card it was purchased on) are pretty darned commonplace nowadays.

Returns for store credit on cash purchases are very common. Even with the receipt. A lot of stores don't carry a lot of cash for change. At the mom and pop run software store I worked at 10 years ago, refunding a $60 game was something we wouldn't be able to do for cash. Store credit was fine. And if you had the same credit card it was purchased on, we were able to run a credit transaction on it. But cash? Never.

LOTS of small businesses operate like this.

JesterPoet

First Post
billd91 said:
Returns for store credit on cash purchases are very common. Even with the receipt. A lot of stores don't carry a lot of cash for change. At the mom and pop run software store I worked at 10 years ago, refunding a $60 game was something we wouldn't be able to do for cash. Store credit was fine. And if you had the same credit card it was purchased on, we were able to run a credit transaction on it. But cash? Never.

LOTS of small businesses operate like this.

Well, we had the same credit card it was purchased on. It still wasn't a viable option for them.

And I've shopped at TONS of small stores where cash returns were perfectly acceptable. I've even had a store mail me a check, which was fine.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases