Chariots, attacking and wheel blades.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Got a PC who suggested the idea of a gnome PC, riding around in a cart pulled by a pair of riding dogs. Thought it was an cool idea and a nice visual, so said 'yes'.

Then, he sent me this email:

"What're the rules for charging a cart into someone, and what happens when I inevitable ask to put wheelblades or scythes on it?"

And I realised, I have no damn idea. And additionally, don't know how you handle a cart in combat. :eek:

I recall reading somewhere that chariot driving involved Handle Animal checks, but I can't even find that.

Here's a few questions:

Are there proper rules for this that I've missed? WoTC ones preferably...

1) Would you use the DCs for ride checks?

2) Does a chariot provide cover to the rider?

3) What happens if you drive a chariot into someone?

4) Can you fit wheel blades - what would they do?

5) 2 dogs pulling the chariot - how does this complicate things?

My thinking:
[sblock]
1) Yes.

2) Yes, but if the cover causes an attack to miss, then it damages the chariot.

3) Really not sure. Overrun? Trample? Attack as a weapon of some sort, using chariot riders BAB.

4) Add some damage to the above?

5) Not sure.
[/sblock]
Thanks very much people. :)

Arnwyn

First Post
Sadly, without the books on hand, I can't give direct quotes.

But the rules for chariots, etc in combat are found in the 3.0 Sword & Fist. They may also be reprised in the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide.

The rules are pretty decent, actually.

My (wild guess) answers, based on what I (partly) remember:

1) Sure, but I think that there are DCs in S&F.
2) Agree with you.
3) Overrun.
4) Can't remember - see S&F and/or A&EG.
5) Nothing much, as long as the dogs can pull the weight. Overrun rules covers the rest.

Last edited:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
There are rules in the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide

1.) The DC's in A&EG are based on handle animal, they seem about right.
2.) These rules are also in A&EG, a chariot would give half-cover and take damage if it causes a miss.
3.) A&EG treats it as a Ram attack which does damage based on vehicle size and weight (for your example should be 3d6) and the vehicle takes damage in return when it rams but as long as you're running down creatures rather than hitting objects it's much less.
4.) This wasn't covered in A&EG but I'd say call it an area effect in the 5ft square on either side of the chariot for the appropriate damage with a reflex save to avoid.
5.) Strictly speaking by RAW they each need a five-foot space. A&EG handles it by having the creatures take up two spaces & the chariot can follow either one of the animals. (Personally given my own experience with the closest real world equivalent of a medium wardog the St. Bernard & Mastiff, which includes using them to pull a broken down compact station wagon) I'd rule that both could fit into a single 5ft wide space since they'll be restricted by the maneuverability of the chariot anyway.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases