Is Wraithstrike the wrong level?

wildstarsreach

First Post
I've been having a dicussion on another list and with my gaming group. I play a Duskblade and of course Wraithstrike from the complete adventurer has come up. One of the other playercame up with that wraithstrike is most similar to True Strike. This is a first level spell. Wraithstrike is a swift action which is akin to a quickened spell. Theoretically this should be a 5th level spell alone. Now Wraithstrike affects a whole series of attacks, not just the next attack role as True Strike does. Touch AC's are anywhere from 5 to 40 lower standard AC's. Should this spell be realistically at about 6th or 7th level for correct estimation of spell power or does someone have a good defense of why it should be as it is at 2nd level?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wraithstrike is not just the wrong level--it is simply broken at any level against a wide variety of opponents (particularly big dragons). It might be acceptable at 8th or 9th level, but that just means the Eldritch Knight takes longer to break it.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Rystil Arden said:
Wraithstrike is not just the wrong level--it is simply broken at any level against a wide variety of opponents (particularly big dragons). It might be acceptable at 8th or 9th level, but that just means the Eldritch Knight takes longer to break it.

Or when used by big dragons - do you want to face a young adult red power attacking for +15-19 on 5 attacks? every round?

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Or even worse, using Improved Combat Expertise and still dumping some into Power Attack, netting a hefty chunk to AC and still hitting with everything...hard.

Did I mention Arcane Strike too?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
Or even worse, using Improved Combat Expertise and still dumping some into Power Attack, netting a hefty chunk to AC and still hitting with everything...hard.

That's also partially a problem with ICE for high-HD creatures. For instance, an intelligent T-Rex with ICE instead of one of some of those worthless Toughness feats can pump its AC to unreachable levels for its supposed CR while still hitting with its bite.

Still, definitely agreed on the Wraithstrike-for-dragons part

Sejs

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
So, for some reason I thought Arcane Strike was a swift action to activate, and thus would have some saving grace regarding possible interaction with Wraithstrike. But I wasn't sure, so I thought it best to check.

Upon checking.. nope, free action. *shakes head, boggles* Wait a second.. free action, untyped bonus, only the to-hit bonus is capped. Uh, am I crazy here, or is there the possibility that someone with Arcane Strike can just go thermonuclear and vent like mad?

Now granted, no DM in their right mind would let that fly, but still. Can't believe that one slipped under my radar up until now.

Sejs

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
That's also partially a problem with ICE for high-HD creatures. For instance, an intelligent T-Rex with ICE instead of one of some of those worthless Toughness feats can pump its AC to unreachable levels for its supposed CR while still hitting with its bite.

Corollary - any intelligent T-Rex with ICE is required to wear a top hat and a monocle.

And possibly spats.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases