Guy at my Wife's work nailed his Testicle to a House.

Harmon

First Post
Umbran said:
I am not buying that "have to", in any real sense. There are situations when a nail gun can't be used with proper safety, yes. But that's part of why they still make these "hammer" things.

Working in positions that can not be described here I have had to (just to get the job done) take shots that I have thought- “this is f&*^in’ suicidal, but there is no room to hammer and no other direction I can fire this gun from.”

I suppose if you have never done anything like it, then you don't know what you have to do to get it done.

Job estimation is so close now a days with material values that labor is the breaker on who gets the job, so every company figures that framing will be done by gun- the fastest method to frame. (I have certification in Estimation and Project Management from the Turn Key Institute, so I kinda have an idea how to figure that much out.)

And as far as hammers go- many times you can't use them, angle, position, not having something support what you are shooting into, but as I implied- if you have never done it….

Personally- I have always disliked nail gun, because of the safety issues and the fact that I spent most of my apprenticeship nailing off shear (roof or wall), so when I could get away with no nail gun I did as often as I could, and when I was on a roll or in the rhythm I could keep pace and surpass nail gun framers with less experience.

As far as the guy noted by the OP- I understand, I know he was doing what he could to make himself safe and he would have changed everything that he had done to avoid the accident (in hind sight), just to avoid the humiliation, cause I have a fair idea of the names his co workers call him now. :eek:

Harmon

First Post
hafrogman said:
Presumably it HAS to be 'Lefty'.

Maybe, if they are nice construction workers, otherwise its names that are not so Grandma friendly. Needless to say he will be the brunt of many jokes in the coming decades whether he is present or not.

His best course of action might be to leave the area and change his name, cause he will never live this one down.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder if things like this get filed with the local building boards? If so, what DOES that look like on the blueprints?

Other possible names:

Donut.

One.

Andbolts.

Jewelie.

Planters. (or Emerald or any other company that makes snack food of a particular kind...)

Soprano

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
I'm now reminded of an NFL game that occurred when I was a kid (mid-to-late 1970s). The Packers were playing the Bears. A cornerback for the Bears named Virgil Livers was playing on special teams, and blocked a punt. As his teammates scrambled after the loose ball, Virgil stayed on the ground. Turns out he'd blocked the punt using a very sensitive part of his anatomy, and suffered a ruptured testicle as a result. :eek:

Found at a few more details (yes, it gets worse).

The company my wife works for does a lot of Pre-Fab work in the warehouse.

He was building a unit to ship on-site, Reinforcing the Studs to the Roof Beams.

Seems he has a bad back & gets tired leaning over to drive the nails into the wood, so he just straddles the beam & scooches himself along firing the Nail Gun as he goes.

The is an older-compressed air gun, runs off a house in the warehouse & Fires 6" Long Nails with a wide head & burrs to stick in the wood. It has a Safety Trigger & Fires by Pushing the Base against the wood (That fires the Mechanism).

In order to work faster, he'd put Electrical Tape around the Safety.

So, here is the breakdown of how it is supposed to go.

1. Smack Gun into Wood 3 times in a line, driving 3 Nails through Roof Frame into a Single Stud.

2. Move Gun 14 Inches to Next Stud, Repeat.

3. When you get to the Stud Close to you, Scoot back so you can Nail the Studs your Butt was previously Covering.

Here is what happened:

1. Smack Gun into Stud 3 times repeat. Due to Window Placement next Stud is nearer than normal. But, that's OK. He's still got room to Fire that Gun.

2. First Shot Goes Fine. Second Shot Slips & Fires a Nail through his Pants into the wood.

3. He's Startled, but still into his hammer-slinging routine. So, the Gun slings down, firing a Nail COMPLETLY THROUGH his Thigh & Into the wood. He is now upset & Drops the gun.

4. Gun Land in Crotch with enough Force to trigger the Firing Mechanism. BAM! Gun Fires Nail Through Jeans & Right Teticle & Into the Wood. However, unlike with his thigh, the Head of the Nail does not penetrate the Jeans. Thus, he is now Nailed to the Wooden Beam Via his Testicle.

5. Gun Kicks back with enough force to bounce OVER HIS HEAD! The Kick-Back of this weapon packs the same punsh as a Donkey Kick (or so says a works how has been kicked in the gut by a Donkey & 1 of these guns).

6. The falling gun attracts attention. As does the high-pitched scream.

7. This is when the EMT shows up (Who has a frightening number of anecdotes about trama to the groin; the one about flammable oil-based lubricants, smoking, & umm.... watching videos alone should be reason enough NEVER to SMOKE!!!!!).

8. Here was his diagonosis:

A. Minor Blunt Trauma for the Gun Falling on his Crotch.

B. Severe, non-permanent damage from SPIKE OF STEEL through Testicle.

C. Moderate Compression from Nail squeezeing Testicle to Wood.

D. Moderate Trauma from Kick-Back of Gun.

And, after what-ever the EMT's gave him, he didn't feel a thing.

And, he hasn't been back to work yet. He's on 'Medical Leave'

Gossip is the Doctor's note mentioned "Severe Swelling"

So kids.

DON'T INTERFERE WITH THE SAFETY TRIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases