Death Ward and Necromancers

Lela

First Post
I'm looking at creating a Necromancer on Friday and was going through the spell list, checking to see what Death Ward blocks. I ran across a few that I wasn't sure about a few of them.

Disintegration: Pretty sure no, as it doesn't say Death on it (nor is it Necromancy).

Vampiric Touch: The damage type is unlisted, so again I go with no.

Enervation: It's level drain but not "energy drain". Same thing? Different thing?

Any help would be great.

Death Ward block any negative energy effects. Enervation is specifically noted as negative energy, so it is blocked.

Reading Vampiric Touch as negative energy seems like a reasonable inference from the rules, since it only affects living creatures. (I consider reasonable inferences or looking at "the spirit of the rules" to be perfectly fine for the Rules forum, nowhere does it say this forum is only for strict constructionists.)

Lela

First Post
shilsen said:
Agreed.

As written, agreed.

Same thing.

Thanks Shilsen!

Brother MacLaren said:
Death Ward block any negative energy effects. Enervation is specifically noted as negative energy, so it is blocked.

Yep. My bad. I glazed over the words Negative Energy.

Brother MacLaren said:
Reading Vampiric Touch as negative energy seems like a reasonable inference from the rules, since it only affects living creatures. (I consider reasonable inferences or looking at "the spirit of the rules" to be perfectly fine for the Rules forum, nowhere does it say this forum is only for strict constructionists.)

I do see your point, though I'd recommend to my DM otherwise. Not so much because I'm a power gamer as I'm probably going to use Evocation as my prohibited school. I was looking to see if I could get by with am emphasis on necro. So, in the interest of some balance and all. Plus the devotion to Necromancy's mysteries can explain the flavor if needed.

Side note, so long as I'm here. Any suggestions on build and spell combinations? Looking at 6th level right now. Also, any thoughts on spells from other books?

Do you have access to Complete Arcane? Split Ray is great, because Necromancy has excellent ray spells (Enfeeblement, Exhaustion, Enervation). Sudden Empower and Sudden Maximize mean you can take down the BBEG easily.

Lela

First Post
Brother MacLaren said:
Do you have access to Complete Arcane? Split Ray is great, because Necromancy has excellent ray spells (Enfeeblement, Exhaustion, Enervation). Sudden Empower and Sudden Maximize mean you can take down the BBEG easily.

Yep! Good thought. This is my first wizard, though I've played the occasional Sorcerer and plenty of Druids/Clerics. I'm a pretty advanced player but this is a totally different animal. Sheesh.

Obviously I'll have to work up to Sudden Max and Sudden Emp but Split Ray will make a major difference.

Lela said:
Obviously I'll have to work up to Sudden Max and Sudden Emp but Split Ray will make a major difference.
Check with your DM. Sudden Max and Sudden Emp do not increase a spell's level, and do not require Maximize or Empower as prereqs. You could use them even on a spell you could not normally Maximize or Empower. This is a very powerful ability, so many DMs house-rule that you can only use them on spells you could otherwise apply the feats to.

So, yes, a 1st-level human wizard with both feats could throw a Sudden Maximized, Sudden Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement for 8-11 Str penalty, and by 5th level do 14-16. AND, because it's an ability penalty rather than ability damage or drain, it even works on undead and some constructs.

frankthedm

First Post
Death Ward and Necromancers
is much like
True Sight and Illusionists
but appears at a much lower level than
Mind Blank and Enchanters​

Blightersbane

First Post
deathward is to Necromongers what free action is to reaping maulers, true site to illusionist
oohh there has to be another good one?????

Blightersbane

Remove ads