A Warlock-Like Psionicist

I was kind of wondering if anyone had looked into this, or worked on this?

I was thinking of adapting the Warlock to be a bit more like a psionicist (his at-will powers have a more psychic feel to them rather than a dark magical feel). Perhaps by giving him powers like telepathy, ego whip, id insinuation...

Thoughts? Assistance? Advice?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Sounds cool! I'd be happy to help with Invocation balance (call them "Talents" or "Sciences" for ye olde-schoole Psionics feel). The unlimited use nature of [Psionic] feats help a lot with the feel, too.

The hard decision is: what do you use to replace the Eldritch Blast?

Cheers, -- N

frankthedm

First Post
Nifft said:
Sounds cool! I'd be happy to help with Invocation balance (call them "Talents" or "Sciences" for ye olde-schoole Psionics feel). The unlimited use nature of [Psionic] feats help a lot with the feel, too.

Cheers, -- N
Telepathic mindshreding: An ability that does comparable subdual damage to the eldritch blast, No ranged touch, will save for half.

or

Telekinesis: at will, weight limited by character level.

Nifft said:

Cheers, -- N

I had the idea that maybe instead of it being an Eldritch Blast, it could simply be a Psionic Blast instead. Yeah, I know it is kind of a cop-out but...

Basically the Psionic Blast could serve as a carrier for the old-school 5 psionic attack modes: Id Insinuation, Ego Whip, Psychic Crush, Mind Thrust, and Psionic Blast.

Unfortunately, one of the old attack modes was already called Psionic Blast, so we need to think of a different name for our replacement for Eldritch Blast.

But that's just a thought.

frankthedm said:
Telepathic mindshreding: An ability that does comparable subdual damage to the eldritch blast, No ranged touch, will save for half.

or

Telekinesis: at will, weight limited by character level.

Also good ideas...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hmm. Mind-affecting effects get noticeably weaker at high level, particularly as attacks. The Warlock's Eldritch Blast can only be resisted by SR, so let's make the Psilock's attack only resisted by either SR or DR.

Telekinetic Strike would make a nice at-will power.

It would function exactly like Eldrich Blast (in terms of damage), but would have some different Augmentations.

Least:
- Mind Strike (Strike Augmentation) -- your strike deals d10s, but is [mind-affecting] with a Will save for half
- Pyrokinetic Strike (Strike Augmentation) -- your strike deals +2d6 Fire damage
- Telekinetic Push (Strike Augmentation) -- for every 5 points of damage, you push your opponent back 5 ft.
- Telekinetic Spear (Shape Augmentation) -- your strike range extends to 250 ft.

Lesser:
- Cryokinetic Strike (Strike Augmentation) -- your strike deals +1d6 Cold damage, may slow target
- Lingering Ectoplasm (Strike Augmentation) -- your target is entangled in ectoplasm
- Telekinetic Maneuver (Strike Augmentation) -- instead of damaging your opponent, you can attempt to trip, disarm, bull rush or grapple him with your TK Strike.
- Telekinetic Beam (Shape Augmentation) -- your strike takes the shape of a 60 ft. line

Greater:
- Telekinetic Shout (Strike Augmentation) -- your strike deals Sonic damage and ignores SR
- Telekinetic Cone (Shape Augmentation) -- your strike takes the shape of a 60 ft. cone

Supreme:
- Telekinetic Burst (Shape Augmentation) -- your strike takes the shape of a 20 ft. radius burst within Medium range

- - - -

So, what kind of abilities would replace the Warlock's DR, Fiendish Resilience, and his huge capstones: Deceive Item and the one that lets him make any item with a UMD check?

Cheers, -- N

Kaodi

Hero
Give 'em resistance to mental ability damage, a special ability that allows his to automatically become psionically focused as a free action for a number of consecutive rounds, and the same two other abilities, except for use psionic device.

Also, wouldn't telekinetic damage be force damage? Maybe give them d4s instead of d6s for damage, but make their other abilities stronger...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kaodi said:
Also, wouldn't telekinetic damage be force damage? Maybe give them d4s instead of d6s for damage, but make their other abilities stronger...

Nah, it's just plain untyped damage. Unlimited Force damage would be too strong, wouldn't it? (Balance should always trump flavor text... ;) )

What level would a Force-damage Strike Augmentation be? Perhaps reduce the damage dice to d4s?

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Evilhalfling said:
change to d10's for a least power? - even mental thrust is save for none.

Consider the progression: 1d10 from 1-3rd levels, then 2d10 at 4-5th levels. The power mind thrust would be about double the dice when fully augmented. And when used by a Wilder, it would be more than double. :)

Still think it's too strong?

Thanks, -- N

Remove ads