Inspire Courage Optimization

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Rystil Arden said:
Looks like you're definitely right--of note, the Dread Pirate bonus would not be doubled by Words of Creation, though.

I agree. And frankly, I probably wouldn't want Words of Creation anyway. I think the build works fine without it, and the restrictions of that feat are too much for what you get. But, some people might like it.

Mistwell

I added this item to the list:

Badge of Valor (Magic Item Compendium pg. 208). Price (Item Level): 1400 gp (5th), Body Slot: Throat. Caster Level: 5th, Aura: Moderate (DC 17) abjuration, Activation: Immediate (mental), Weight: --. When you activate the badge of valor, you and all allies within 60 feet gain a +2 bonus on the next save you or they make against a charm or fear effect before the start of your next turn. If you have the bardic music ability to inspire courage, you can activate the Badge of Valor to increase the bonus granted by that ability by 1 for the duration of its effect. A Badge of Valor functions three times per day. Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, remove fear, possession of a piece of the set. Cost to Create: 700 go, 56 XP, 2 days.

This item is part of the Regalia of the Hero set of magic items. The other two items in the set would also be useful, for a Marshall/Bard build.

hong

WotC's bitch
Sound of Azure said:
Courage, the Optomised Dog?
attachment.php

Mistwell

Added this new useful item for this build, from the Magic Item Compendium:

Crystal Echoblade
Price (Item Level)" 4,310 gp (9th)
Body Slot: - (held)
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) evocation
Activation: -
Weight: 4 lb.

A crystal echoblade normally functions as a +1 longsword, but is enhanced by your musical ability. If you use your bardic music ability while wielding the weapon, the blade resonates in harmony, dealing additional sonic damage on each attack equal to half your bard level.
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bardic Music
Cost to Create: 2,000 go (plus 310 gp for masterwork longsword), 160 XP, 4 days.

The MIC says "You can increase the enhancement bonus of these weapons or add more special properties just as you would for any other item." Great! So, let's enhance it with the Harmonizing ability, a +1 ability from MIC:

Price: +1 bonus
Property: Melee Weapon
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint (DC 17) Illusion
Activation: --; see text

A harmonizing weapon accompanies you in song if drawn, granting a +2 competence bonus on Perform (sing) checks.
In addition, if you hold a harmonizing weapon when you begin a bardic music effect, the weapon can continue the effect for you, allowing you to focus on other efforts. One round after you begin a bardic music effect that allows or requires continued use or concentration (including inspire courage, countersong, fascinate, inspire competence, inspire greatness, song of freedom, and inspire heroics), the weapon picks up and continues the performance flawlessly for 10 rounds, until you start another bardic music effect, or until you command it to end as a swift (mental) action.
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, ghost sound, bardic music.
Cost to Create: Varies.

So, a Crystal Echoblade of Harmonizing would be 10,310 gp. And it eliminates the need for one of the other feats that this build was likely to take (Melodic Casting), while significantly bumping your own damage up.

The Bow of Songs is now also reduced in price in the MIC. It's now in the 12,000+ range, which makes is decent.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Quartz said:
That Vest seems pretty powerful. Doesn't it have a HD limitation (q.v. Practiced Spellcaster)? Should it?

Bumping your level for purposes of inspire courage only isn't all that big a deal. It's essentially +1/+1 to inspire courage, sometimes.

Sejs

First Post
Quartz said:
Doesn't it have a HD limitation (q.v. Practiced Spellcaster)? Should it?

No it doesn't, and no it shouldn't.

If it had the max=your HD limitation it'd only be worthwhile to multiclass bards. As was said, it's basically just a +1/+1 to one facet of bardic music anyway.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I think this was mentioned before, but mind blank prevents morale bonuses from working, right?

It's a pity that a character optimized for inspire courage will find their ability useless at high and epic levels, when the other party members get this particular protection. Is it quite definite that mind blank works in this way? I seem to recall some debate about whether it interfered with telepathic bond, but I don't recall how that discussion turned out.

Still, thanks to Mistwell for compiling these tips.

Remove ads