Magic Item Request - Build me a cutlass

If you'd be interested.

I'm working up a blade for my own games. While the GP is over your limit, the powers are easily scalable to fit a range of levels.

So, if you'd be interested in the "Pink Cutlass of Thrax'lith, Illithid Pirate Lord of the Undersea". Let me know & I'll post it once I have it finished up.

The bard wouldn't have a problem with a Pink Cutlass would he? (if it was pretty cool that is).

Morrow

First Post
Vraille Darkfang said:
If you'd be interested.

I'm working up a blade for my own games. While the GP is over your limit, the powers are easily scalable to fit a range of levels.

So, if you'd be interested in the "Pink Cutlass of Thrax'lith, Illithid Pirate Lord of the Undersea". Let me know & I'll post it once I have it finished up.

The bard wouldn't have a problem with a Pink Cutlass would he? (if it was pretty cool that is).

Sure, post it. Lots of great ideas here!

Morrow

Sigurd

First Post
Cutlass and Thumb-ring of Villanov Mara

Villanov was not a hugely famous pirate. He was a wealthy one who died of natural causes far from the sea. Some say he had made a deal with infernal powers. Whatever the truth, he was a very careful man as this item suggests.

The Cutlass is a +2 ghoststrike weapon of fine quality. Holding it emboldens the warrior with a +1 will save.

The thumb ring is the more unique element of the set however. It is keyed to the sword such that whoever holds one can find the other. The ring can be summoned to the pommel of the sword (will save if attended) if the wielder speaks the magic words "I've had 'bout enough of this!" or its direction and distance can be sensed. The sword may not be summoned to the ring but the sword's distance and direction are always known to the ring holder.

Villanov used these items to track valuable cargo. He even sold his sword on more than one occasion only to track the purchaser and 'renegotiate' later.

The thumb ring is brass, of no great obvious value, and is in the form of a snake biting its tale. While it is a ring, it does not radiate as magic and does not take up one of the two slots available to a PC.

Sigurd

What would people price this combination at??

Wolv0rine

First Post
Kelleris said:
Well, if he's a buckler-swashing type, you could give him an Oathblade - just like an Oathbow from the DMG, but in cutlass form. Change the activation phrases for it to suit the character, and you've got a solid +2 weapon with the ability to go all-in against the enemy captain or champion or whatever, plus the flashy criticals that the bards like. It fits his combat style too, since he can spend the first round or two buffing, identify the nastiest mother on the field, and then tumble right up in his face and give him a hard time with a very (temporarily) scary weapon - against a sworn foe, an oath weapon is +5, deals +2d6 extra damage on every hit, and increases its critical damage multiplier by 1. Couple of combats with that kind of power, even in limited form, and your pirate-bard'll probably have had his socks rocked off at least once or twice...

If you're feeling more creative, you can also change the +3 enhancement bonus provided against a sworn foe (and possibly also the extra damage and better crits) into something more appropos. It's one of my favorite tricks when I'm outfitting my characters or crafting items for them.
While not the OP, I still like this one the best. :)

Darklone

The Dashing Blade
A +1 cutlass of arrow deflection, which allows the wielder to use his Charisma modifier instead of his Strength modifier to determine the damage bonus when hitting with The Dashing Blade. Also, while unsheathed it provides its user with a +5 bonus on balance, tumble, and jump checks.​

30% the blade, 70% the man;)

My vote goes to this one ;)

hamishspence

Adventurer
Reaver's Cutlass from Stormwrack?

Its a +1 wounding cutlass, Special Property: Locks to target and continues to do CON damage until a full round action is made to score a successful pin (based on opposing character's grapple) to remove the blade. So you can jab him, back off, and let the weapon kill him. Cost: 26310 gp

Maybe call it "Johnny Corkscrew" because it wriggles in the wounds (Peter Pan reference)

Wystan

Explorer
I would do the following:
+1 Cutlass of Disguise - Once per day the cutlass can be transformed into any normal object. While polymorphed it will not radiate any magic. In the full Cutlas form it is a +1 Flaming Cutlass.

Morrow

First Post
Initial Reactions

The Dashing Blade is a pretty nice idea. It does have considerable overlap with the slippers of battledancing (from DMGII), which I'm keeping in my back pocket in case I need 'phat swashbuckling bard lewt' for later in the campaign.

I have also considered the Reaver's Cutlass, although at this point it is out of my 'budget,' as are a few of the other items that have been suggested (the artifact and the abyssal bloodiron come to mind).

I like the oathblade idea and will give it some serious consideration.

Some of the cutlasses suggested are interesting, but would have been more popular at lower levels. For example the Cutlass and Thumb-ring of Villanov Mara would be much more impressive in a party that didn't have access to divinations as high as 6th level.

The vicious enhancement is appropriate, but I'm not sure that the character has such a surpluss of hit points that he'd want to take as much as 2d6 points of damage every round in combat (in the event of two successful hits on a full attack). On the other hand that does force some tough (and interesting) tactical choices.

Anyway, I could go on and on. There are lots of options to consider. Thanks for all the help!

Morrow

Remove ads