Scifi anime movies

tecnowraith

First Post
Does anyone know if there any good scifi anime movies? I looking for like space action and adventure with some cool aliens. Not looking for series or OVAs though. Anything similar to Dune or Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick would be cool.

Sir Brennen

Legend
One I caught recently on cable was Kaena, a computer animated movie from France (so I don't know if you'd technically call it 'anime'.) Here's the IMDB movie blurb:
Kaena

AXIS, a gigantic coiling plant, stretches high above the clouds... At its center is a village whose people are in mortal danger because Axis is withering... it's sap is drying up. The people beg their gods for help... but to no avail. Compelled by a mysterious force, Kaena, a rebellious, high-spirited teenage girl will defy the High Priest and her people's ancestral beliefs to take the perilous journey through the Axis and discover what dark secrets lie beyond the clouds... A dying world, an evil force, a terrible secret...
Another one, part of my own small anime collection, is Appleseed (2004 version), which is a bit more post-apocolyptic than the "fantastical" type stuff you're requesting. Still worth a look. Computer animated using motion capture, but made to look 'hand-drawn', it has a interesting smoothness to character action not found in traditional cel animation.

JEL

First Post
Just movies, huh?

Right off hand, my first recommendation would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars. It's a prequal to the OVA series and pretty much stands by itself. It's a great film and has the most incredible space battle ever, set to Ravel's "Bolero."

Super Dimensional Fortress Macros: Do You Remember Love? is a re-telling of the TV series and an excellent film in its own right.

Space Fantasy 2001 Nights is a more hard SF story about space exploration, so has little in the way of fighting or action, but the story is excellent.

Crusher Joe is an awesome space adventure story with some of my favorite action scenes. The Dirty Pair movies (both Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair are based on stories by the same author) are also a lot of fun.

They Were 11 is another more hard SF film and it's a drama piece rather than action, but still highly recommended.

Macross Plus pretty much has it all: great animation, excellent music, action and a great story. It doesn't really require any knowledge of the Macross universe to enjoy.

Other titles:
Voice of a Distant Star/Hoshi no Koi
Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Toward the Terra
Beyond the Clouds
Memories

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases