Give me something to do

Oryan77

Adventurer
Land Outcast said:
is he basically to buff the crafty Tiefling sorceress & her 6 Mezzoloth brutes?
Yes, exactly. The Tiefling is the NPC that I know for a fact the party will all target. So I want the cleric there to protect her & the Mezzoloths. But, if the PC's prove me wrong and go for the cleric, it would be nice if he was on defense and just protected himself against their attacks...that would allow the Tiefling more time to focus her attack.

Will he fight?
Probably not. I'm picturing this guy as being the pain in the butt that just keeps thwarting the PC's offensive attempts. He would be the NPC that the player's would complain about, "Stop that stupid cleric so we can actually DO something!" The more he can just move around confidently and heal his allies when they need it, the better.

[quote[will he be an important opponent (what do I do with Con and Str?) [/quote]I'd say if he can thwart the Evards spell, focus more on Con than Str. He'll be more of a defensive/protective guy than a brute force guy. I'm picturing a skinny Githzerai that wears full plate but the plate is loose on him as if his armor is too big for his thin frame.

didn't left me much space to work with (actually a githzerai cleric 7 is CR 8 "by the book", and is the only way to acquire Spell Immunity or Freedom of Movement -vs Evard's-, I thought of instead giving him scrolls, but his budget was too low)
Yeah, ECL 8 is fine if it means getting a top notch spell. This encounter is much too high for the PC's as it is...but I plan to have a Neutral Thri-kreen NPC that works for the Tiefling end up switching sides in the middle of combat to fight for the PC's against his Tiefling leader. The Thri-Kreen will even the EL up and I don't think an extra level on the Gith will matter much.

Canaan

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Finished with the epic trio... whew...

Thank you so much, Land Outcast! I really appreciate it!

I'm going to do a write up of the session. It will contain MAJOR HELLA spoilers for my story hour readers, but there's no evidence they lurk on this thread. I figure it's the least I could do :)

Canaan

First Post
Land Outcast, the foe that the Corrupted Master of the Black Rose is going up against is a Half Earth Elemental Fighter (20) who wields a Silver Trident of Thunder and Lightning as his primary weapon (yeah, confused Half Earth Elemental--actually there's a whole plot line going on there with the fusion of the Earth and the Air, but I digress).

In light of that, I was thinking that he would totally whoop the Master of the Black Rose's arse, unless the Master was able to disarm and grapple him first. Now, this player hates flying and grappling foes (also PC has an aversion to flying and can't fly anyhow). But I still like the grappling concept, as long as its not the primary ability and so on. So, I was thinking....

What would happen if instead of DR/Silver, the DR was without exception (like a barbarian) and instead of Monk levels, he was a Fighter or Barbarian and he had the Legendary Dreadnaught prestige class from EPH and perhaps the Reaping Mauler prestige class from CAd or CW. And if it was still Infused with some aberration that made its torso extra long and gave it the ability to sprout 2 additional arms at will and perhaps a 5th arm from the navel. It collected the souls within its body of those that it bested in combat, such that their faces and hands could be seen trying to escape through the creature's torso.

I'm thinking a cross between that monstrous creature from Mortal Combat and that scene in Nightmare on Elm Street (I forget which one) when Freddie shows a victim all of the children he killed by lifting up his shirt. Maybe its like a will save or your stunned for a 1d4 rounds. Perhaps the creature has a special Clutch of Orcus attack or something, whereby it takes 2 rounds to rip out its victim's heart and eat it.

What would such a creature look like?

Land Outcast

Explorer
@Canaan: The reaping mauler class won't do any good -it was included in a first draft-, it just gives a +2 to grapple checks, some nifty abilities (of low Fort save), and that's it.
Now, this one creature still needs to be equipped, as I mentioned, therefore bumping his AC (at least by +13) and attacks (at least by +8 attack and damage). Also, with fast healing 10, and the ability to make disarm checks at 15 ft, I think that trident won't last much in the fight.

See his jumping and climbing bonus (combined with his speed), could easily remain out of reach.

I don't have the ELH (Dreadnaught), and about the soul drinking just add this:
Any opponednt killed has his soul sucked into the Master, who gains an extra HD. Typical soul drinking consequences about resurrection, raise dead, and wish.

Of course, if after you equip it you see it won't work, just tell me so and I'll write up something new from scratch (easier than fixing something old). I usually don't make epic critters 'cause they end up under/over powered most of the time.

[sblock=Jah'Ahleel... (CR 7)]
Jah'Ahleel
Male Githzerai Cleric [Luck & Protection domains?]
Medium Humanoid (Extraplanar)
Init +2;
Senses Darkvision 60 ft.;
Listen +4, Spot +4
Languages: ?
----------------------------------------------------------------
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 21;
(+9 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Shield)
hp (max) 77 (7d8+21);
Saves [SR 13]
Fort +5 (5 class, 3 Con)
Ref +5 (2 class, 3 Dex)
Will +9 (5 class, 4 Wis)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee
Mwk Trident +5 melee (1d8)
Ranged
Mwk Trident +5 ranged (1d8)​
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Attack +5; Grp +5
Atk Options
Special Actions
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Spells per day: 6/5+1/4+1/3+1/2+1; DC 23+Spell level; CL 7th
0- [6 0-level spells]
1- Bless, entropic shield (d), shield of faith [x4] (7 minutes, +3 AC)
2- shield other (d), resist energy [x4] (70 minutes, resist 20)
3- dispel magic, wind wall, protection from energy + protection from energy (d) (70 minutes, absorb 84)
4- Recitation (complete divine), spell immunity + spell immunity (d) (70 minutes, the idea is to use Divine Spellpower to get CL 8th and gain immunity to 2 spells, including Evard's Black tentacles)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities (32 pts):
Str 10 (2pts)
Dex 14 (0pts + 6 racial)
Con 16 (10pts)
Int 10 (4pts - 2 Racial)
Wis 18 (10pts + 2 racial)
Cha 12 (4pts)​
Feats:
Divine Spellpower (Complete Divine, turning check bonus to CL, +3 to the check)
Skill Focus (Concentration)
Improved Turning

Skills
Concentration +16 (10 Ranks Class, +3 feat, 3 Con)
Knowledge (Religion) +5 (5 Ranks Class)
Spellcraft +5 (5 Ranks Class)

Turn/Rebuke Undead: 4/day, turning check +4 (2 knowledge religion, 1 Cha, 1 Improved Turning).
Inertial Armor: +4 force armor bonus as long as he remains conscious.
Psionics:
3/day - Daze (DC 11), Feather fall, Shatter (DC 13). CL 7

Possessions: +1 Fullplate, Heavy Steel Shield, Mwk Trident, Mundane ranged, Mass cure moderate wounds scroll (2d8+11)[x2], 900gp

00-Spell Immunity on him and tiefling (Evard's + Electricity spell) [-2 turning checks]
00-Protection from energy (Acid) on him and tiefling
00-Resist energy [x4] on Mezzoloths
0.5-Shield of Faith on him, tiefling, and 2 mezzoloths
01-Wind Wall
02-Shield other on the tiefling
03-Recitation
04-Dispel Magic? [Divine Spellpower at +7 to make the check]

Hope it fits the bill
[/sblock]

Canaan

First Post
Land Outcast said:
@Canaan: The reaping mauler class won't do any good -it was included in a first draft-, it just gives a +2 to grapple checks, some nifty abilities (of low Fort save), and that's it.
Now, this one creature still needs to be equipped, as I mentioned, therefore bumping his AC (at least by +13) and attacks (at least by +8 attack and damage). Also, with fast healing 10, and the ability to make disarm checks at 15 ft, I think that trident won't last much in the fight.

See his jumping and climbing bonus (combined with his speed), could easily remain out of reach.

I don't have the ELH (Dreadnaught), and about the soul drinking just add this:
Any opponednt killed has his soul sucked into the Master, who gains an extra HD. Typical soul drinking consequences about resurrection, raise dead, and wish.

Of course, if after you equip it you see it won't work, just tell me so and I'll write up something new from scratch (easier than fixing something old). I usually don't make epic critters 'cause they end up under/over powered most of the time.

Thanks for the input, Outcast. I'll run the crunchy bits this evening and see what it looks like!

chakken98

First Post
"Out of the shadows it came, eyes that bored though me like nothing I've felt before," pausing to drink "he weild a large weapon on his back, a bastard sword I believe. He told me to inform you that you time is at hand"

CR 13-17

Oryan77

Adventurer
Land Outcast said:
Jah'Ahleel... (CR 7)
What an awesome combination of spells & feats! I just finished copying this info onto my NPC sheets. I really like the idea of using Divine Spellpower, that's nasty and exactly what I was looking for.

This encounter looks like a really rough fight. The NPC's have protected themselves against the party exactly like I wanted. Thanks man!

Land Outcast

Explorer
What an awesome combination of spells & feats! I just finished copying this info onto my NPC sheets. I really like the idea of using Divine Spellpower, that's nasty and exactly what I was looking for.

This encounter looks like a really rough fight. The NPC's have protected themselves against the party exactly like I wanted. Thanks man!
You'll make me blush man, stop it... ;)
But I'm somehow proud of including Recitation (Complete Divine) in the spell list, effectively giving the tiefling's spells a +2 bonus to the DC and a -2 penalty to the enemy spells.
Team Synergy.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Land Outcast said:
You'll make me blush man, stop it... ;)
But I'm somehow proud of including Recitation (Complete Divine) in the spell list, effectively giving the tiefling's spells a +2 bonus to the DC and a -2 penalty to the enemy spells.
Team Synergy.
Oh man, haha....I actually had to drop that spell and was going to switch it out with something else (not sure what yet). I use the Spell Compendium book and they nerfed that spell in that book. It now gives the bonuses but it no longer gives penalties to the enemy. I was disappointed about that :\ I could use the version from Comp. Divine but then the party Cleric is a powergamer that knows all of the spells from the Spell Compendium...he'll throw a fit since I told him he can only use spells from the PHB and SC.

If you have another spell suggestion, I'm all ears. Should I go with the 4th lvl cure spell?

Land Outcast

Explorer
Ouch... so the spell was nerfed in a book not in my possession?
Damn...

*looks through his Complete, Faerun (Wall of Pain from Shining South looked nice but the -2 penalty is only within the wall), Draconomicon, BoVD, PHBII, Stormwrack, Heroes of Horror, Fiendish Codex I*

It's the only spell which seems appropriate for the situation... (there are good 4th level cleric spells, but for this *theme* Recitation was benchmark)
A candidate, is the old and loved Cure Critical Wounds 4d8+7 healing power.

Remove ads