Build me a KNIGHT!

bestone

First Post
Hey there, never played one before (or much of anything really), my party thus far consists of a cleric/rogue, a sorcerer, a wizard, and a dual wielding fighter. Figured a nice defensive knight would fit in nicely here

heres the kicker, we are evil!! odd never played an evil campaign before

I get to start out at level 3, and can be any race i want (assuming it doesnt have too high of an ecl of course)

And the stats i rolled were pretty good, 18 15 14 13 11 9
3.5k gp

so, please help me build a nice defensive knight!!

thanks in advance, any help greatly appreciated

Last edited:

TheGogmagog

First Post
There isn't much to building one, it's esencially a fighter with all your extra feats pre-selected for you. The two PHII shield feats make a nice synergy with the knights extra shield bonuses. After that power attack and improved toughness.
I am playing one and put a 10 in charisma. By 6th level you don't miss the exta challenge per day. The lower DC to challenge isn't a big deal either. you don't want all the mobs attacking you, just enough to take the heat off the rest of the group. If theres one BBEG you will just be using the basic fighting challenge for attack and damage anyway.
Stats would be normal for any fighter, Str, Con, Dex, Int, Cha, Wis

Wish

First Post
Well, if you can use a dwarf variant that gets +2 con and -2 dex, that'd be pretty solid. (Most of these are campaign world specific, such as to Forgotten Realms or Arcanis.) That way you could keep your charisma from having a big penalty, and wearing heavy armor you don't need that much dex.

Otherwise, human is a pretty good bet.

Stalker0

Legend
Everyone says go Shield with a knight, but in a lot of ways a reach weapon is better for them.

The synergy with bulwark of defense is heinous.

Here's how it works:

You get into melee with a creature using your reach weapon (10 foot). The creature takes a 5 foot step to attack you. But, since the space he's moving through counts as difficult terrain, he cannot take a 5 foot step. He has to take a move action, which provokes an AOO. So, you take your AOO, and he gets 1 attack (remember no full round attack).

Now, you take a 5 foot step back and get your full compliment of attacks. Rinse and repeat.

bestone

First Post
EVIL! i like hrmmm, i may have to just do that

Can you use a smaller sized twohanded reach weapon in one hand, is there any feat that lets you wield a two-hander in one hand?

Last edited:

TheGogmagog

First Post
Yes, improved trip is a good rout also. Plus with the 3.5 rules two handed weapon is essencial if you want to be anything but a meat shield.

However, do read Stalker0's senario and bulwark of defense carefully. If they don't start thier action in threatened squares it's not difficult terrain. So someone could charge past your threanened square just fine. Except for your attack of opportunity and improved trip of course.

Going half orc (or whole orc?) would probably be alright. Let your charisma stink. What are you losing, +2 attack/damage once or twice a day vs one opponent, people don't want to attack you so often.... what are you gaining +2 attack/damage all day long. At higher levels you will still have enough challenges to take advantage of the additional +3 attack/damage.

I'd still consider taking the shield feats for when you need to turtle up and let the casters do the damage.

bestone

First Post
what do you think of using a bastard sword? we're using optional proficiency rules from unearthed arcana, so i could take one, then use a sword and shield, if the need arises, i'll just drop the shield and use the bastard two handed

Oh also, i figured i could carry a short longspear on my back, for 1 handed reach

Remove ads