OGC Repository

Vaxalon

First Post
Wouldn't it be great if there was an OGC repository, where various publishers could collect the OGC they've published in various works?

First, it would make it easier to use OGC and know where it came from.

Second, if someone were plagiarizing OGC and using it without attribution, especially if they were trying to publish it as non-OGC material, it would be more readily apparrent.

It would create less redundancy, as you can see what has already been covered, and use it rather than recreate it.

What do you think?

Vaxalon

First Post
I could probably maintain it, but only if documents were submitted, rather than having to scan through things for OGC myself.

I don't have a place to host it, given that the bandwidth requirements are likely to be substantial.

Vaxalon

First Post
Well, here's the issue I was up against:

I'm developing material for possible publication, and I wanted to save myself some work by using OGC, when it existed, to handle certain situations, and I thought it would be useful to have it centrally located.

Having read the other thread, it does seem problematic.

I think that this would be an excellent thing for the proposed redesign of EN World. Rather than becoming a mere publicity tool for publishers, it would become an excellent resource for the community.

Monsters and such could go to Creature Catalog, and I doubt it would be difficult to create OGC feat, magic system, and spell repositories -- perhaps grouped by publisher.

Publishers already have a good relationship with EN World, and would be able to trust that their OGC would be treated in a reasonable manner (and I have read the entire thread that Eric referenced -- those that have will understand what I am talking about).

Vaxalon could even maintain it :D and the bandwidth problem would be solved...

NeuroZombie

Explorer
This would be a great idea except for one problem, by giving all OGC material to the general public, it would severly cut into the profit margins of all d20 publishers.

Lost profit=no (or drastically less)new material.

I don't see the industry standing behind such an initiative.

If it was handled properly, it might be feasible. Even though you don't have to ask the publisher in question according to the license, it might be policy on this repository to do so.

Also, I doubt it will cut into sales of books much at all (in fact, I would argue the opposite) -- for the content to be popular enough to be placed in the repository, a lot of people will have bought the book already, and I would imagine that OGC rules will drive the sales of setting material that takes advantage of it, since most DMs have limited time for creating their own campaign material. I really feel that, if it were handled properly (which is why I suggest EN World take a hand), this could be a win-win for the d20 publishers and the community.

Further, it is almost inevitable that some kind of repository will be created -- it would be wise of the d20 publishers to beat others to the punch and help set up a friendly system to share OGC in such a way as to prevent negative side effects.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Personally, if I were a publisher, I would only go for it if a) I could pick and choose what to add to it of my content, and b) it were industry only. If its purpose is to be an aid to other publishers, that's one thing, but for it just to gather it up for mass consuption, then I would be far less interested.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases