Eschton [mature] IC - Calling Arabesu

Voidrazor

First Post
Nephtys said:
Melanoce replies in a smooth but warm tone, evoking images of complex and pleasing aesthetics.
"You honour me, Citizen, and I thank you. My real-time is never too precious to devote to you and the esteemed Citizens of our system, but your consideration is delightful. I will gladly attend in person."
She would need to construct a public persona for herself, impressions being the cornerstone of politics. A gala event would be an excellent opportunity to introduce herself into the public awareness off Otajan.
"Please, call me Argus. And thank you for ageeing to attend. I look forward to seeing you at the party. You may arrive at your conveniance. The chronomancer will be available to coordinate the timing."

[sblock]
Nephtys said:
"Indeed, [insert honorific here], your understanding is correct. It is my function in this existence to provide harmonious exchanges of both goods and ideas. Supposing your proposal is not of less then perfect harmony with the beings of this dimension I will be able to provide the service at an affordable rate. Supposing it is, the payment required will be higher. Ah, but this is all standard practice. Now let us discuss specifics, and credentials."
"Unfortunately, our ... patron would remain anonymous. An agreement being reached you shall receive payment up front. The cargo is live, technically legal, but disapproved. To be transported from a place of your choosing in system to a drop off, uninhabited system neutral dimension. Payment of 2633 CuBs (7300gp equivalent) in advance is amenable."

Nephtys said:
Is there some sort of organized counter-movement to all this communism? ;) Some sort of liberal-conservative political block with corporate financial backing? Even though the Eschaton-wide democratic process is mostly handled by direct democracy (?) there must still be politicians and propagandists who tell people what to think. And there has to be some sort of democratic check on those committes, no?

Melanoce looks into it.
There are numerous public counter-movements, but they are all small and scattered. None have corporate backing, as that would be highly illegal. Large-scale direct democracy seems to be considered by the vast majority of Autarchs to be the best available check on concentrated power. Melanoce does notice some vague indications in trading patterns that there may be some sort of Citizen-run shadow syndicate. But if this is the case, they cover their tracks extremely well.

Nephtys said:
Melanoce attempts to arrange her operations on Tran'sa Kuul in such a way that the integrity of the financial system would depend on Vermilion's precense. So that if she was forced to withdraw her assets she would cause a collapse, or at least a recession. She attempts to do this in a way that neither appears deliberate nor easily detectable to any but the most skilled economists.
How are you recruiting the board, CEO, CFO, etc.? On Otajan 5 or Tran'sa Kuul?
[/sblock]

Voidrazor

First Post
[sblock=Sayuri OOC]A couple of problems. Teleport and scry wards would cost extra. Adding them would put you less than 10% over though. LMK if you want to go over your wealth allotment to keep them. Also I rechecked mirror of mental prowess and technically it only scryes places. I would consider being able to look at 'whatever place a particular person is' to be an exapnsion of the listed abilities. If you'd like you can drop the ability to read thoughts to be able to scry on relatively well known people. Knowing the true name of someone, getting a psychic impression of them and interacting with someone would all qualify as relatively well known. Or you drop the ability to step through to gain the ability to scry on people by name or desciption bypassing 3rd level wards.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
OOC [sblock]Hee...my apologies. I got...overenthusiastic. :) As for the mirror, I re-read it, and you're right. It works like Clairvoyance with no range limit, not like Scry. Again, my bad. Is there a place Sigil could obtain a scroll of Discern Location, perhaps? She could use that to find one of the redcaps, then use the mirror to scry on the location revealed. And she has some chump change, so I think she could afford it... Anyway, I shall edit my post accordingly.[/sblock]

Nephtys

First Post
Voidrazor said:
"Please, call me Argus. And thank you for ageeing to attend. I look forward to seeing you at the party. You may arrive at your conveniance. The chronomancer will be available to coordinate the timing."

"And you may call me Melanoce. Until then, fare well."

[sblock]
Voidrazor said:
"Unfortunately, our ... patron would remain anonymous. An agreement being reached you shall receive payment up front. The cargo is live, technically legal, but disapproved. To be transported from a place of your choosing in system to a drop off, uninhabited system neutral dimension. Payment of 2633 CuBs (7300gp equivalent) in advance is amenable."

ooc: Technically Legal?

Melanoce replies, knowing full well that she would have a considerable difficulty performing the requested service. "I'm afraid I am going to have to see some documentation, something that can appear at least moderately credible before a Committee. Something that can convince them that I'm unaware of any inapproprieties. A technical formality that likely need never be used if the proper safe-guards are taken, but a necessity nevertheless."
"Speaking of safe-guards; Is the cargo hidden from magical detection?" (ooc: are there affordable ways to store the cargo (lead containers or crates?) that protects against divination?) "We cannot have half the galaxy fropping in on a rescue mission, now can we?" And the price does seem rather low for all the risks I would be required to take, don't you think?"

ooc: Diplomacy +80

ooc: Unless the Gate Key can set up temporary gates I don't see how I can manage the transportation. (Arcane) Plane Shift is a 7th level spell and she can't cast higher than 5th. Can she outsource the transportation to be handled by another company, and in that case would it be secure? Or affordable? It doesn't seem practical.
I suppose she could smuggle the cargo trough the public permanent gates, but can she do that without risk of exposure? It seems dangerous.
I had planned to use the Gate Key to set up permanent trade networks between reliable partners and clients, not to smuggle sapient spell components for anonymous kidnappers...

So, at this point the main object with this deal as far as Melanoce is concerned is to dig up as much evidence against the smugglers as possible to be used to secure more tangible political and finansial advantages.

Melanoce starts digging.

Voidrazor said:
There are numerous public counter-movements, but they are all small and scattered. None have corporate backing, as that would be highly illegal. Large-scale direct democracy seems to be considered by the vast majority of Autarchs to be the best available check on concentrated power. Melanoce does notice some vague indications in trading patterns that there may be some sort of Citizen-run shadow syndicate. But if this is the case, they cover their tracks extremely well.

How are you recruiting the board, CEO, CFO, etc.? On Otajan 5 or Tran'sa Kuul?

ooc: So the local committes are kept under check by the local Autarchs and the Eschaton-wide committes are controlled by all the Autarchs in all the democratic worlds? But obviously that's just in theory. The people cannot possibly vote on every single political action troughout their jurisdiction. They would be overburdened by choices and overwhelmed by information. So, in practice, the committes are answerable only to themselves. A sort of technocracy with democratic trappings, a tyranny of a small political elite keeping the rest of the people in comfortable passivity?
Now, is there any way to appeal directly to the masses? Any way to go over the heads of the committees and let the popular vote determine the vagaries of corporate law?

Now, this was interesting. While she had good connections within the Borogashi Metaguild she had often found them too limited in scope. If she could establish a connection with this shadow syndicate maybe she could gain a greater freedom of action. Maybe she could even facititate the Glietsel deal at marginal risk? She oscillates slowly, musing to herself. Contacting them would be a difficult matter, as it should be, but if she kept her attention in the right direction perhaps they would contact her...
-

Since Tran'sa Kuul is a relatively advanced society she does most of her recruitment locally, including the CEO. Recruitment is handled in the usual way. Since Vermilion Capital Ventures is a well known and reputable company there's no need to be too covert about it. Melanoce does some research on the candidates under consideration, a few of them are selected for interviews and a few of them are hired. Some of the members of the board are loyal and competent people she has associated with in the past, and they are mostly from off-world. But she makes sure that also the new employees will operate under her instructions (mostly by awing them with her diplomatic skill and business acumen).
-

She yawns tiredly, suffering a brief flash of annoyance at her own frailty, and takes a brief break from her work. There was still endless tasks to be accomplished, that wonderful Gate-Key she had purchased so cheaply would require a lot of work to be utilised to its potential, but that could wait a few moments more. Sixty pairs of gates, she muses, The universe at my fintips.

ooc: Am I keeping too much in sblocks? Obviously I need to hide my actions that concern other PCs, but what about the rest? What do you think?
[/sblock]

Melanoce reclines on her luxurious levitating seat and closes her tired eyes for a moment. Though she loved her work it could be tiring at times, and she was actually looking forward to a break. She rests for a few moments, then prepares herself for the party.

And departs.

Last edited:

Rino

First Post
Voidrazor said:
Despite the comfort of desolate environs, the trip provides little respite from the pressures of Citizenship. Always, there is the ghostly tug of those attempting to reach Direspirit via the Psi-web. Of the calls, the one from Argus Oloriel Starzaeon, governor of the only Core world in the massive Ixylyr-Alaeon-Otajan system, may be of the most interest. But another from Roaika'xul 69*93 may also be worth answering. An Autarch on a world many parsecs distant, Roaika'xul has offered useful information in the past, although the asking price was always too high. There is also a more mysterious contact, from an anonymous source on Bleak Lodestone, a world that web record indicate was reduced to ash some years ago.

As he walks, deciding which if any of the psychic contacts to answer, Direspirit a strangely shaped skeleton half buried in the marsh. Its difficult to tell, given the vast array of alien life-forms making up Eschaton society, but it looks like the fallen creature has an arm stuffed into the eye-socket on the unburied half of its skull.

OOC - Does Lord Direspirit allow the drow and other Autarchs access to the Psi-web? Also, is Atropos OK for the name of his world?

Lord Direspirit answers the "call" from the source from the blasted planet of Bleak Lodestone, which is of most interest at that moment. the normal calls will have to wait.

"What or who could it be that would like to talk to me from the planet that is no more. and what could it be about?" wandering about those things he looks at the wierd looking skull in the march

OOC: providing that the calls can be answered at any give time and anywhere. drow have limited psi-web acces. other Autarch have more of these privileges

Voidrazor

First Post
[sblock=Shayuri OOC]
Shayuri said:
Hee...my apologies. I got...overenthusiastic. :) As for the mirror, I re-read it, and you're right. It works like Clairvoyance with no range limit, not like Scry. Again, my bad. Is there a place Sigil could obtain a scroll of Discern Location, perhaps? She could use that to find one of the redcaps, then use the mirror to scry on the location revealed. And she has some chump change, so I think she could afford it... Anyway, I shall edit my post accordingly.
Sure, you can buy a scroll of Discern Location from someone over the Psi-web and have it delivered via you gate for list price (3000gp). You also know of a merchant on Kaydia that would probably have a druidic scroll of scrying, as well as a druidic dryad that could cast it for you. Either of those options would cost less but might not succeed. You might be able to get the dryad or someone over the Psi-web to locate the recaps in return for a favor of some sort.[/sblock]

Voidrazor

First Post
Nephtys said:
"And you may call me Melanoce. Until then, fare well."
"May every breath bring you closer to ascension Melanoce. I will see you soon." The link ends in a burst of pleasant sensations that mirror and build upon your own.

[sblock]
Nephtys said:
ooc: Technically Legal?
There are a number of things that there is no law against owning or trading, but are frowned upon by society and might even provoke action by authorities depending upon the circumstances. Examples would include dangerous nanotech, captive fey and, soul destroying weapons

Nephtys said:
Melanoce replies, knowing full well that she would have a considerable difficulty performing the requested service. "I'm afraid I am going to have to see some documentation, something that can appear at least moderately credible before a Committee. Something that can convince them that I'm unaware of any inapproprieties. A technical formality that likely need never be used if the proper safe-guards are taken, but a necessity nevertheless."
"Speaking of safe-guards; Is the cargo hidden from magical detection?" (ooc: are there affordable ways to store the cargo (lead containers or crates?) that protects against divination?) "We cannot have half the galaxy fropping in on a rescue mission, now can we?" And the price does seem rather low for all the risks I would be required to take, don't you think?"
"There will be no corporations and no Committees. Too much oversight. This will be a service rendered between individuals, so there is no need. There is no risk to you. The cargo is legal and we pay in advance. As friend, payment of 4180 CuBs (10,000gp equivalent) is amenable, with additional payments of 1672 CuBs (4000gp) for each additional transit. Initial payment is more than single use boom tube!"

OOC - Lead wouldn't do the trick. A single-use Nondetection item usable by anybody would cost 750gp. Or you could get someone to cast it for 150gp. You are certainly free to pass up the deal. You can remove a gate from the Gate Key after it has been set up. But one of the 60 charges would still be gone.

Nephtys said:
ooc: So the local committes are kept under check by the local Autarchs and the Eschaton-wide committes are controlled by all the Autarchs in all the democratic worlds? But obviously that's just in theory. The people cannot possibly vote on every single political action troughout their jurisdiction. They would be overburdened by choices and overwhelmed by information. So, in practice, the committes are answerable only to themselves. A sort of technocracy with democratic trappings, a tyranny of a small political elite keeping the rest of the people in comfortable passivity?
Now, is there any way to appeal directly to the masses? Any way to go over the heads of the committees and let the popular vote determine the vagaries of corporate law?
The barriers to getting on Committees are pretty low. It just requires some paperwork and an oath. The downside being that joining one could conceivably put one at risk of corruption charges if the appearance of impropiety should arise. Eschaton has its share of policy wonks who are quite happy to spend most of their time voting and debating. You could get a measure up for vote on the role of corporations within the IAO system. But you'd have to change current attitudes in that regard dramatically in order for it to have a chance of success.

Nephtys said:
Since Tran'sa Kuul is a relatively advanced society she does most of her recruitment locally, including the CEO. Recruitment is handled in the usual way. Since Vermilion Capital Ventures is a well known and reputable company there's no need to be too covert about it. Melanoce does some research on the candidates under consideration, a few of them are selected for interviews and a few of them are hired. Some of the members of the board are loyal and competent people she has associated with in the past, and they are mostly from off-world. But she makes sure that also the new employees will operate under her instructions (mostly by awing them with her diplomatic skill and business acumen).
OK, Vermillion puts the word out on Otajan 5 that its hiring. It will take a little while for responses to come in.

Nephtys said:
ooc: Am I keeping too much in sblocks? Obviously I need to hide my actions that concern other PCs, but what about the rest? What do you think?
I don't mind the sblocks. I'd like people to read as much of the game content as possible, and count on people's honor not to use OOC info. But no biggie :cool:
[/sblock]

hero4hire

Explorer
Avalon® said:
OOC: Just noticed that Hero4Hire hasn't posted yet.

OOC: Sorry guys. I guess I am not feeling the "Write you own beginning" thing.
I tried several times to write something, but nothing was post worthy. I think I am just to reactive sometimes when it comes to PbP.

I am going to have to drop this one. Though you guys are doing great. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases