Poll: What base classes would you prefer to see as prestige classes instead?

What base classes would you prefer to see as prestige classes instead?

• Archivist

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Ardent

Votes: 57 22.7%
  • Artificer

Votes: 70 27.9%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Bard

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Beguiler

Votes: 77 30.7%
  • Cleric

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Divine Mind

Votes: 75 29.9%
  • Dragon Shaman

Votes: 89 35.5%
  • Dread Necromancer

Votes: 109 43.4%
  • Druid

Votes: 29 11.6%
  • Duskblade

Votes: 74 29.5%
  • Erudite

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Favored Soul

Votes: 60 23.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Healer

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Hexblade

Votes: 94 37.5%
  • Knight

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Marshal

Votes: 89 35.5%
  • Monk

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • Ninja

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Paladin

Votes: 119 47.4%
  • Psion

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Psychic Warrior

Votes: 38 15.1%
  • Ranger

Votes: 55 21.9%
  • Rogue

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Samurai

Votes: 97 38.6%
  • Scout

Votes: 51 20.3%
  • Shugenja

Votes: 50 19.9%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • Soulknife

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Spellthief

Votes: 116 46.2%
  • Spirit Shaman

Votes: 66 26.3%
  • Swashbuckler

Votes: 80 31.9%
  • Warlock

Votes: 48 19.1%
  • Warmage

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Wilder

Votes: 55 21.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Wu Jen

Votes: 51 20.3%
  • Other class not listed

Votes: 32 12.7%

AFGNCAAP

First Post
A question sorta-kinda prompted by the 4E talk, but also by the PrC variants of bard, ranger, and paladin in Unearthed Arcana.

There are a LOT of base classes available for PCs, and each has its own flavor. However, is that flavor a bit too specific for use for a base class? So, the question for this poll is:

What base classes would you prefer to see as prestige classes instead?

If you would, please note why you selected the classes that you did. Feel free to add how you'd see them done for a PrC as well. I've included an "Other" category for base classes that I didn't include; if you do select "Other," please state what class not mentioned you'd like to see get the PrC treatment.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
None. I'd be happy to have base classes that are more customizable, but I don't want to wait until 6th level to be a paladin or ranger or whatever I want to be.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
diaglo said:
everything but fighting man, cleric, magic user, and the optional thief.

edit: where's the poll, mang?

Making sure I had everything I could recall... and somewhat alphabetized...

Remathilis

Legend
Cracks knuckles...

Hexblade: A fighter/sorcerer hybrid class that focuses on casting in light armor and using various curse-spells and effects.
Samurai: A fighter PrC which focuses on intimidate and TWF in heavy armor.
Favored Soul*: A Contemplative-like PrC where you take on more celestial/fiendish aspects.
Spirit Shaman: A druid PrC focusing on spirit and spirit abilities.
Healer: A divine-PrC where you sacrifice potent combat ability to be the best at healing.
Warmage: A sorcerer PrC for those about to nuke.
Dread Necromancer: As Warmage, swap to necromancy.
Beguiler: As Warmage, swap to enchantments
Spellthief: A rogue PrC for those who like to steal spells.
Ninja: A rogue/monk Hybrid PrC
Duskblade: See Eldrich Knight, Spellsword, etc.
Swashbuckler: See Duelist.

That leaves knight, warlock, scout, shugenja, wu jen, archivist, dragon shaman, and marshal.
Add Mystic (Dragonlance) as a spontaneous divine caster (to replace favored soul) and dump the OA classes. Now you have knight, warlock, scout, archivist, dragon shaman, mystic, and marshal. With a few tweaks to each, they all bring a new mechanic to the mix (knights challenge/battlefield, invocations, skirmish, divine bookcasting, auras, divine spontaneous) so they have a reason to exist.

Just my take, at least.

EDIT: Ignored the Psionic Classes (though soulknife and lurk really scream PrC) and left out Artificer (since its campaign specific, and unique).

Nonlethal Force

First Post
None. [EDIT: Thus, I didn't vote]

I don't have a problem with the plethora of base classes. I actually prefer it that way. I don't like the optional ranger, bard, paladin variants in UA.

In truth, I was actually disappointed when Dragon Magic only had 1 base class and Complete Mage had none. I think WotC is beginning to run dry. While understandable, it makes me kinda sad.

That being said, I don't have all WotC books, so I only felt obliged to speak to my experience. [Core+Complete+Dragon Magic+BoED+EPH]

brehobit

Explorer
Nonlethal Force said:
None.

I don't have a problem with the plethora of base classes. I actually prefer it that way. I don't like the option ranger, bard, paladin variants in UA.

In truth, I was actually disappointed when Dragon Magic only had 1 base class and Complete Mage had none. I think WotC is beginning to run dry. While understandable, it makes me kinda sad.
Agreed. As I mainly play lower-level games (1-8 or so) I much prefer base classes, or PrCs you can hit at 4th or 5th level. Most PrCs are a waste to me.

So fewer base==sadness.
Mark

Voadam

Legend
I'm fine with a variety of base classes including flavor specific ones. If I can see them as a viable 1st level character then I say go to it. I want the game to be able to accomodate a lot of different character concepts, so reserving specific flavor concepts to higher levels is not what I want.

Remove ads