Whirling dervish

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Also of note, a Fighter4/Barbarian1/Dervish10 is significantly stronger than Fighter5/Dervish10 (and even moreso with Whirling Frenzy, which I think thankfully we don't allow in LEB yet).
Just to make sure, you're meaning that in the manner that Fighter level 5 is effectively empty? Or are you combining rage and dervish dance here (which can't be used together)?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Just to make sure, you're meaning that in the manner that Fighter level 5 is effectively empty? Or are you combining rage and dervish dance here (which can't be used together)?
Yes, I mean that Fighter5 is empty, so the Barbarian level gives more HP and skills, plus movement.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Good. I thought you did, but it was a bit ambiguous.
Yep. Also, there is a nonzero possibility that the Fighter/Barbarian/Dervish will run out of dances and still have a fight left for a Rage. And I didn't even remember the +2 Fort save (level 5 Fighter has no save boosts)

Bront

The man with the probe
DrZombie said:
You guys decide. It's a good PrC, and it gets quite harsh after ten levels, but then again it is a ten level prestige class, on par with most if not all ten-level prestige classes, or with a straightforward non PrC'd character
(it means letting go of +5d6 sneak attack damage, for instance, which at level 15 with a rogue means 4 sneak attacks at +9/+9/+4/-1 at 1D6+8D6 against a lvl5ftr/10derw +18/+18/+13/+8 at 1D6 and once a day +18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+13/+8/+8 at 1D6 for one round .That means the rogue would do more damage if he hits once in any round then if the dervish hit every attack in his once-a-day super slasher attack.
But we all know that by the time either of them got to the enemy it would allready be 'destructed' by the 15th lvl cleric or polymorph any object'ed into a frog by the 15th lvl wizard, to say nothing of the 15D6 maximised fireball by the sorceror :D )
So, besided the +9 difference in attack bonus, you're also missing the fact that the base weapon should be doing more damage by that point (Idealy a +3 weapon, or a +2 weapon with an extra, like flaming). So that 1d6 becomes instead 1d6+3 or 2d6+2. That, plus the chances to hit, make it quite a bit more powerful, as you need to factor in the chances to hit.

Plus, the dirvish can use that power at any time, as opposed to a rogue, who can do it at will, but needs to be in the right position, which is hard to do with a full attack against most sane opponents.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases