Looking for Trouble [Orsal Judging][Concluded]

Manzanita

First Post
Rowan spits. He was looking forward to assaulting the keep. Now it appeared more diplomacy was in order.

"We can't just leave. This might be the place. We need to go ask them if they've seen Sir Revenir or any zombies. Perhaps we could simply ask for shelter for the night. It could be a trap, though. Maybe only a few of us should go in. Does anyone have a way to communicate if we're apart. A talking bird or something?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I almost chose to focus on such things--now that I am protected by metal, perhaps some day soon I will refocus my studies to allow for this, but sadly not now. Nonetheless, I would speak to them--even if they are initially unfriendly, I should be able to convince them. Assuming they are not of ill-intent, do each of us have gifts for their Holdmistress to exchange for her offer of shade?"

Manzanita

First Post
"Well, you shouldn't go in there yourself, darling." Rowan says to Lasair with genuine concern. "I'll go with you if need be. I've got some weapons, if we need to give a gift."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"If they are wish us ill, we should all be prepared to dance, but assuming they mean us no harm, it should be safe for a lone emissary--it would be an insult to the vhal of the Holdmistress to bring armed men as a guard, as only a vhalless coward would offer us her shade and then assault us while we were under her own protection."

Manzanita

First Post
"I would not come as a guard, but as a companion. And if the necromancer lives in that keep, I'm betting he has a very little vhal." says Rowan.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"If this is the lair of a necromancer, then we shall have to dance," Lasair agrees, "Although in that case I would have expected the undead to man the battlements rather than the living--the undead can watch continually without needing rest, and they require no comestibles or pay."

"Have we decided how we shall approach this?"

Manzanita

First Post
"Listen, sweetie, I'm not much of a dancer. If there's dancing to be done, you'll have to do that yourself. It looks like me an' Lasair will go up and check out this keep. Anyone else want to come?"

Rowan moves to Richard, and speaks to him softly. "Look, man. This will be dangerous. Look after my horse for me, will ya?" Rowan also hands Richard his bow. "I'll take my guisarme and my heavy flail. Rinya can keep my greatsword for now. I'll be expecting to see the rest of you attack and sack this place if you don't hear back from us by lunch tomorrow."

Richard Rawen

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"If this is the lair of a necromancer, then we shall have to dance," Lasair agrees, "Although in that case I would have expected the undead to man the battlements rather than the living--the undead can watch continually without needing rest, and they require no comestibles or pay."

"Have we decided how we shall approach this?"

Brushing down his mare, Richard has been listening and speaks up at ladies' question.
"I find two flaws in your logic miLady, firstly the assumption of a holdmistress. There may be no such person and even if this is not the camp of the enemy we know, it may be just as dangerous a place. You speak of this vahl, it sounds enough like honor to me. In my experience Honor is only given to those the noble class feel beholden to or afraid of. Simple folk usually have more kindness and honor than a whole bushel of nobles.
Second thing I wonder about is the undead. Havin such clear for all to see would be inviting trouble from any who saw them, most nobody would hesitate to call down the authorities or church or both upon such a place."

Realizing he's made a speech of things, Richard suddenly seems to grow self-conscious, his next words come out more quickly, and he tries to meet Lasair's eyes briefly to ascertain what her reaction is as he speaks. "We're in the wild, traveling together, armed to the teeth, is the way of things. If you can divine what the intent of those within is before battle is joined more the better... but I don't want you... erm, us, getting jumped. "
The large young man waits, still brushing Sally's flank. When the conversation is over he'll lead her to the nearby stream for a drink.

Rystil Arden

First Post
You speak of this vahl, it sounds enough like honor to me. In my experience Honor is only given to those the noble class feel beholden to or afraid of. Simple folk usually have more kindness and honor than a whole bushel of nobles.

"Then I would have none of your honour," Lasair replies, "All folk worthy of respect have vhal, though fewer do so in these lands that I have seen...still, I have seen vhal in noble lords and ladies and in simple tradesmen, merchants, and peasant-folk, and even in bandits. But if the Holdmistress of this place styles herself legitimate, and the use of human guards lead me to agree with you that they at least want to appear legitimate, then they would have trouble not to meet the emissary of Lord Pician and Holdmistress Niobe of Earling, yes?"

*Lasair produces an expensive and official looking letter with an ornate noble's seal on it and winks.*

Richard Rawen

First Post
OOC sorry, my timing got thrown as I had the post done but was distracted before I submitted :p /OOC

Manzanita said:
"Listen, sweetie, I'm not much of a dancer. If there's dancing to be done, you'll have to do that yourself. It looks like me an' Lasair will go up and check out this keep. Anyone else want to come?"
Rowan moves to Richard, and speaks to him softly. "Look, man. This will be dangerous. Look after my horse for me, will ya?" Rowan also hands Richard his bow. "I'll take my guisarme and my heavy flail. Rinya can keep my greatsword for now. I'll be expecting to see the rest of you attack and sack this place if you don't hear back from us by lunch tomorrow."
Richard is interuppted by Lasair before he can respond to Rowan.
Rystil Arden said:
"Then I would have none of your honour," Lasair replies,
Richard visibly stiffins at this insult... his face turns dark and he only barely hears the remainder of the womans speech.
Rystil Arden said:
"All folk worthy of respect have vhal, though fewer do so in these lands that I have seen...still, I have seen vhal in noble lords and ladies and in simple tradesmen, merchants, and peasant-folk, and even in bandits. But if the Holdmistress of this place styles herself legitimate, and the use of human guards lead me to agree with you that they at least want to appear legitimate, then they would have trouble not to meet the emissary of Lord Pician and Holdmistress Niobe of Earling, yes?"

*Lasair produces an expensive and official looking letter with an ornate noble's seal on it and winks.*
Richard turns his dark gaze from the prattling woman, mastering his temper, he turns his back to her and speaks quietly in return to Rowan, his eyes narrowed.
"If that's what you want, just watch yourself. I hate to see us split up like this, our numbers keep dwindling and our offensive power is unlikely to mount any real threat against a fortified tower in my opinion, but again, it is your choice."

Taking Rowans' bow and arrows, he stows them upon his mount to be easily accessed. He then begins tending Rowans mount, and will lead them both to water when he's done. His mood is obviously dark, yet his care of the horse is gentle, though quickened somewhat.

Last edited:

Remove ads