Dungeonscape Answers

Razz

Banned
Banned
Well I just received my copy of Dungeonscape about an hour ago and have skimmed through it once. I've read everything on the Factotum class and made a quick scan through the rest. I will say, this is definitely better than Cityscape and I only wish Cityscape went more along the format in here.

So I can answer questions regarding the book, but I'll have to keep it light and minimal, at best.

I'll start with the Factotum, since I am sure everyone is curious. I'll begin with one word: cool.

It's a cool class to get into, and I've only a couple of problems with it, personally.

---The first is I believe they should receive more Inspiration Points than the table suggested, or at least allow your Intelligence bonus as a bonus to the number of Inspiration Points you receive. Such that an Intelligence of 18 grants an extra 4 Inspiration Points. (could be a good feat for them, I guess, since it's too late now)

---The second is I wish they had a sidebar explaining how the class can manifest psionic powers, too, and probably incarnum and martial maneuvers as well. If it's a jack-of-all trades, it should've had sidebars explaining how it can use material from other books.

---The final gripe is I wish there were some Factotum-specific feats for them, such as one to increase the amount of Inspiration Points received and others. A feat that lets them spend a full-round action to recover 1 inspiration point sounds like a neat feat to create.

Maybe Dragon Magazine will boast a Class Acts on these guys with some new stuff for them. (I hope you're reading this Jason Bulmahn *hint hint* Could be an interesting WE, too, for Factotums to gain access to material from other books like Tome of Magic and such)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FACTOTUM
Well, a basic rundown of this class is it has Medium BAB, d8 Hit Die, and good Reflex saves. They receive 6 skill points/level, and EVERY skill is a Class Skill for them. Yes, you've read that correctly. ALL skills are class skills. They're proficient with all Simple and Martial weapons, Light armor and shields (except tower shields). Intelligence is the main ability score for this class, with Strength and Dexterity coming in at a good second, and Wisdom is needed to better benefit from one of their class abilities (Opportunistic Piety).

They receive what is called Inspiration Points and start with 2 at 1st level and end up with 10 at 20th. At the beginning of each encounter, they start with all their Inspiration Points at their disposal. These points are used to activate almost all of their class abilities.

Some of their class abilities require only 1 point to be spent to activate, others require 2 or even 4 points. I'll start with their 1st level class abilities. They get Trapfinding, Cunning Knowledge, and Cunning Insight. Cunning Knowledge allows them to spend 1 inspiration point on a skill they have at least 1 rank in to gain a bonus to that skill equal to their class level. They can only do this once per day per skill. Cunning Insight lets them use 1 inspiration point before making an attack, save, or damage roll to add their Intelligence modifier to that roll. At later levels, they get the ability to use these points to gain dodge bonus to AC, deal +1d6 sneak attack damage, take an extra standard action, breach through damage reduction and spell resistance, take no damage from an attack, and choose 3 extraordinary abilities each day from any class (available for the class at 15th level or lower) to use for 1 minute (this ability is available at 19th level) and are used using your Factotum level as the class level. As for the divine aspects of the class, they don't gain any ability to cast divine spells, but they can channel divine energy to heal, harm undead, or turn undead starting at 5th level.

At higher levels they gain the ability to choose Sorceror/Wizard spells, different ones too, each day and can cast them as spell-like abilities once and once only. You can't even prepare the same one twice to do it twice. Their class level dictates the maximum spell level they have access to.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all I have for today. I'll be reading the book more thoroughly tomorrow at work and will be able to answer questions when I get home.

smootrk

First Post
Having all skills as Class Skills will make this a for sure dip class when trying to acquire a PRC with stiff skill requirements (that are outside of your main class).... not necessarily bad, but may change the anticipated level of entry of many PRCs.

Beckett

Explorer
smootrk said:
Having all skills as Class Skills will make this a for sure dip class when trying to acquire a PRC with stiff skill requirements (that are outside of your main class).... not necessarily bad, but may change the anticipated level of entry of many PRCs.

I figure anyone who would dip here for skills would have dipped a level of bard or rogue, so I don't think that will matter.

Where'd you get the book from, Razz? I've got a preorder at Amazon, and hoping to see it soon.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hmmm... interesting... sounds like the offspring of the AE akashic and some obscure magic system, but definitively interesting. But the name still rubs me the wrong way.

Questions:
Is there some new and interesting crunch?

What about the Rot Grub swarm? Well done?

There are some very Grimtooth-stylish traps in the Art Gallery, do they read that way?

Razz

Banned
Banned
Shade said:
How about a brief overview of the new templates? :D

ACIDBORN: Animals, Magical Beasts, Plants, and Vermin with the aquatic subtype specially bred to breathe and survive in acidic pools. Though they can never survive in normal water. They get a +4 Con, acidic breath weapon, deal 1d6 extra acid damage, immune to acid and poison. A sidebar explains how you can create alternate versions such as a Lavaborn creature.

DUNGEONBRED: Large Aberrations, Animals, Magical Beasts, or Vermin that are decreased in size in order to fit in dungeons and not require much maintenance to keep in dungeons. Good example was once such a creature eats a particular meal, it can forever sustain on the meal, which annihilates the need to acquire exotic meals for creatures that need it.

GUARDIAN: A template that enhances a creature's senses, giving it blindense, darkvision, low-light vision, bonuses to Search and Spot to make it a better sentry. Can be applied to Aberration, Animal, Magical Beast, or Vermin with an Intelligence of 3 or lower.

SENTRY OOZE: A template for oozes which grants them Intelligence and Charisma, making it an intelligent creature and acquiring skills, feats, and a reasoning mind. Susceptible to enchantment and mind-affecting attacks, but has a +4 bonus to saves against them.

HIVENEST MONSTER: This is a symbiotic combination of a Diminutive or Fine swarm with the Vermin type and a Plant, Undead, or Construct. Basically, the swarm lives within the creature and the two combine as one encounter. An attack from such a creature delivers damage and delivers swarm damage simultaneously, for example, as one of the template's abilities.

And, yes, the Rot Grub Swarm is a nice comeback for it. CR 6, infestation, and if you destroy the swarm a few of them are leftover to count as the dungeon hazard version of the creature.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Razz said:
ACIDBORN: Animals, Magical Beasts, Plants, and Vermin with the aquatic subtype specially bred to breathe and survive in acidic pools. Though they can never survive in normal water. They get a +4 Con, acidic breath weapon, deal 1d6 extra acid damage, immune to acid and poison. A sidebar explains how you can create alternate versions such as a Lavaborn creature.

DUNGEONBRED: Large Aberrations, Animals, Magical Beasts, or Vermin that are decreased in size in order to fit in dungeons and not require much maintenance to keep in dungeons. Good example was once such a creature eats a particular meal, it can forever sustain on the meal, which annihilates the need to acquire exotic meals for creatures that need it.

GUARDIAN: A template that enhances a creature's senses, giving it blindense, darkvision, low-light vision, bonuses to Search and Spot to make it a better sentry. Can be applied to Aberration, Animal, Magical Beast, or Vermin with an Intelligence of 3 or lower.

SENTRY OOZE: A template for oozes which grants them Intelligence and Charisma, making it an intelligent creature and acquiring skills, feats, and a reasoning mind. Susceptible to enchantment and mind-affecting attacks, but has a +4 bonus to saves against them.

HIVENEST MONSTER: This is a symbiotic combination of a Diminutive or Fine swarm with the Vermin type and a Plant, Undead, or Construct. Basically, the swarm lives within the creature and the two combine as one encounter. An attack from such a creature delivers damage and delivers swarm damage simultaneously, for example, as one of the template's abilities.
Wow. I can see using all of those (acidborn only in the more wahoo dungeons, but still, I can see doing it). Pretty impressive, since normally I give a big thumbs-down to most new monsters and templates.

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Razz said:
Maybe Dragon Magazine will boast a Class Acts on these guys with some new stuff for them. (I hope you're reading this Jason Bulmahn *hint hint* Could be an interesting WE, too, for Factotums to gain access to material from other books like Tome of Magic and such)

I might have some material that got cut that might find its way into a Class Acts article in the near future. I only got the book today myself and am still digging through it to see what stayed, what was cut, and what was polymorphed.

All and all though.. I am very pleased.

Jason Bulmahn
Co-Author of Dungeonscape
Death to the Iconics! :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases