Making Campaign Maps

JVisgaitis

Explorer
After the contest for the map for War of the Burning Sky, a lot of people have asked me my methods for creating my maps. I figured the best way would be to start a thread here. Before we start, we're going to need a campaign map to create. I don't want something overly complex, but if someone has a map they want created post it here and I'll use that for the tutorial. Otherwise, I'll just come up with something from Violet Dawn.

FunkBGR

Explorer
You could help me do my map -

From my notes:
My campaign world features a large central continent with a madagascaran-like island off the west coast. Along the top is a set of mountains, which is your stereotypical "northlands", while a vast plain spreads south until you get to a vast belt of green forest that stretches the length until reaching a mountain range. South of the forest is another flat plain on the west, with an island chain stretching off to the southwest, and a jungle to east.

I don't have much more beyond that, because it hasn't been fleshed out. I don't even know how large the continent is, because that's all that has been explored so far. But I could upload a hand-drawn diagram outline (it would look pretty bad, hence me needing help).

JVisgaitis

Explorer
FunkBGR said:
I don't even know how large the continent is, because that's all that has been explored so far. But I could upload a hand-drawn diagram outline (it would look pretty bad, hence me needing help).

That will work. Go ahead and upload it. I always work over a rough anyway...

terrainmonkey

First Post
maybe you could give this one a shot? i did it in one day for the start of a new campaign, and just threw a bunch of stuff together. looking at the maps for the burning sky you did i was amazed. i thought about getting into that competitions but when they started coming in, i just decided to stop. too many better maps than i could have ever done.

anyway, let me know.

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/terrainmonkey/?action=view&current=mindath2.jpg

FunkBGR

Explorer
Oh man - I can't find the larger version online, so I bet it's at the home computer.

I did this rough sketch two years ago as part of a website to give players an idea of relative geography. I also made a claim that I wasn't an artist (I think that's pretty clear). As such, I didn't fill in a lot of details in the areas.

The major forest in the middle is called the Greenwall - them's the elves. The island is called "Home", and inhabited by sailor halflings. The 'statue' symbol from old school red book D&D indicates capital cities of respective regions, which for the most part follow geographic features.

Bam! Good luck if you want to try it, and thanks!

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 172

JVisgaitis

Explorer
OK. I'll just do both and do a different style for each. One I'll do a more realistic hand drawn map like in Lord of the Rings (or my Burning Sky Map) and he other one I'll do in Photoshop using layers and styles (like my Castlemorn Map). I'll put both of the maps below. Do either of you have a preference to which map gets what style?

castlemornmap.jpg

burningskymap.jpg

terrainmonkey

First Post
i like the bottom one, for the style of the campaign setting i have in mind. the one up top has a more FR quality to it, and would look good for a generic campaign. my world is less "sophisticated" than FR, with a more Dark Sun feel to it.

if you were going to do one of my realms, Mindath, take your time. i know how doing freebies can sometimes be a chore. :)

Remove ads