What happened to Izmir?

hopeless

Adventurer
What happened to Izmir?

In the first dungeons and dragons movie, Izmir was a massive metropolis that resembled Sharn from Eberron to a small degree (in that Sharn would make Izmir look "small").

Then when they made the sequel movie set a century later Izmir had now shrunk to the size of maybe a small city... so what happened?

Is there another Izmer a metropolis abandoned for some reason, just waiting to be explored, or has the Blackmoor setting released something to clear this up?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think they were just distancing themselves from the original movie somewhat, which is a shame, since the now-vanished D&D movie setting articles at the WotC site were pretty nice. I imagine the never-released setting book has had its electrons shredded as well. :(

teitan

Legend
hopeless said:
What happened to Izmir?

In the first dungeons and dragons movie, Izmir was a massive metropolis that resembled Sharn from Eberron to a small degree (in that Sharn would make Izmir look "small").

Then when they made the sequel movie set a century later Izmir had now shrunk to the size of maybe a small city... so what happened?

Is there another Izmer a metropolis abandoned for some reason, just waiting to be explored, or has the Blackmoor setting released something to clear this up?

What does Blackmoor have to do with it?

Henry

Autoexreginated
The movie was made by two different directors and writers, hence the disconnect. I don't think anyone released any explanation, but there are as half-dozen possible explanations one could make up to explain it (you just did the most obvious one above!)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Probably no reason beyond 'we need a way to tie this totally re-done movie to the first one for some obscure continuity (or contractual) reason, so we'll just use a few names and a character from it'.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Maybe they wanted to pretend that the first movie never happened? I know most of the D&D community would gladly do this ;)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I think they were just distancing themselves from the original movie somewhat, which is a shame, since the now-vanished D&D movie setting articles at the WotC site were pretty nice. I imagine the never-released setting book has had its electrons shredded as well. :(

They're still there, you just have to dig around a bit:

Journey Through Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie

Society of Sumdall

Some random Movie links

I know there was a thread either here at ENWorld or else on the Mystara board at WotC that posted some more links to those articles as well.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases