Ranger Favored enemy(s)

Jackylhunter

First Post
How do you rule this:

1 ranger has 2 favored enemies: Outsider (Evil) +4, and Outsider (chaotic) +2.

If he runs into a Demon (Chaotic evil, outsider), does our ranger get a +6, or just a +4 (the highest value)??

I'm in a campaign with LOTS of devils and demons running around, and I'm looking for anything I can use to keep from being worked over. Thank you.

smootrk

First Post
Not sure about RAW ruling, but I would likely only grant the highest of the two. Essentially the same bonus (Ranger Favored Enemy) so I would be invoking 'stacking bonuses' as my rationale.

drdevoid

Explorer
No, you take the highest bonus

Favored Enemy (Ex)
At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2.

If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy, the ranger’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.

Voadam

Legend
Jackylhunter said:
How do you rule this:

1 ranger has 2 favored enemies: Outsider (Evil) +4, and Outsider (chaotic) +2.

If he runs into a Demon (Chaotic evil, outsider), does our ranger get a +6, or just a +4 (the highest value)??

I'm in a campaign with LOTS of devils and demons running around, and I'm looking for anything I can use to keep from being worked over. Thank you.
Since they don't stack you might want to take [Evil] and possibly [native]. Evil covers both devils and demons, while native covers all the tiefling servitors and other planetouched.

Remove ads