Shattered Sea Chronicles, Book I: Festival of the Dead

pathfinderq1

First Post
EvolutionKB said:
"Good then," Redbeard says to his new companions, stuffing a sausage link into his mouth, "do we need to prepare anything, or are we good to go?"

"I believe I need nothing for the moment save my armor and traveling gear, which is upstairs. It sounds as if we have a lead to follow, and we may as well be about it before any more of these creatures pop up to interrupt the festival. If you will grant me a few moments, we can head out." With that she sketches a rough and unpracticed bow to the inspector, then turns to make her way back upstairs.

OOC [sblock] If not stopped, Johanna will head back upstairs to put on her armor and gather her gear and other weapons. She will be back downstairs and ready to go in about ten minutes- by which time I figure Redbeard will have finished off all of the remaining breakfast, so we will be able to head out. Anybody else coming?[/sblock]

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Nameless Psion

I believe I have everything that I need.” Says the Psion as he double checks his gear. Satisfied that everything is where it should be he looks back up to the group with a smile and says, “Good to go!

Fenris

Adventurer
"Yeah, I'll need me gear as well." adds Broderick who reappears shortly, with a gleaming steel shield, scale armor and a host of weapons scattered around him.

Imerak

First Post
Larren turns up his nose a bit. "Sewers? Oh well, I guess it can't be helped. I travel light, but I still have some stuff upstairs that I need to get." He smiles at his newfound companions. Well, this is turning out to be quite the adventure.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

"Aye," Redbeard says, "I be ready." He flicks his leather armor to accent his words. He wipes his mouth on his sleeve, but only manages to smear the strawberry jelly into his beard. He then stands up and stretches, his back cracking several times. His eyes open wide as if he forgot something, and he reaches down to the table and grabs a couple pieces of bacon and shoves them into his belt pouch. At his new companions various glances, he merely shrugs and says, "We may be down there awhile."

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
EvolutionKB said:
"Aye," Redbeard says, "I be ready." He flicks his leather armor to accent his words. He wipes his mouth on his sleeve, but only manages to smear the strawberry jelly into his beard. He then stands up and stretches, his back cracking several times. His eyes open wide as if he forgot something, and he reaches down to the table and grabs a couple of biscuits and shoves them into his belt pouch. At his new companions various glances, he merely shrugs and says, "We may be down there awhile."

OOC: See post 85. You done got beat to the biscuits Red! ;)

May 2, 1106 CR

Haversham certainly has no objections to the party preparing themselves, and waits patiently for the few moments it takes them to get ready. Larren takes just a few more moments than he'd thought, and is the last one to make it downstairs. Interestingly, Lysana is missing during the same period of time.

The older adventurers sit at their table, watching. Then as the party is about ready to go, Morris comes over, with a leather bag in his hand. He gives Larren the look fathers often give to doubtful sorts who hang about with their daughters, then opens the bag. "Take two each, then. They are some potions that you might find handy." Each potion is clearly marked, "Cure Light Wounds."

Once they have their potions, Haversham takes them outside, to where a dwarf soldier is waiting. The dwarf takes one look at the crew, and snorts. "Come on then, you lot. Time's a-wasting, and I'd just as soon you get yourselves killed quickly, so that my lads can get a bit of axework in."

With that cheery thought, he leads them through the city, to an old dry cistern near where Larren and the nameless one fought the zombies. The maintenance door at the bottom is open, and a ladder has been placed. The dwarf leads the way down, and about 50' down a very well built sewer tunnel, to a place where the tunnel wall has been breached from the other side. Half a dozen dwarven soldiers stand about, half with waraxes and shields, the other half with heavy crossbows in hand.

The irascible dwarf points at the hole, and says, "There ye be. If ye get eaten by som'mat in there, try to scream loudly so that we know yer done for. Best yell when come back this way, too, so one of the lads doesn't shoot you."

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

Redbeard gratefully accepts the healing potions and attaches them to his belt. "Thank ye Morris", Redbeard holds out a pudgy and dirty hand.

Upon stepping outside, Redbeard gives a sharp whistle, Polly comes down and lands on his forearm. He talks to the bird, "I be thinkin' ye don't wanna come w' me. Dark, n'closed, 'n smelly down there, but try okay?" Polly looks around and bobs her head.

"So this be the hole eh?" Redbeard pulls a sunrod out of his backpack in preperation. "What 'appened to the undead that were killed here earlier? Were ye able to identify who they were b'fore they, uh....died."

pathfinderq1

First Post
Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
The irascible dwarf points at the hole, and says, "There ye be. If ye get eaten by som'mat in there, try to scream loudly so that we know yer done for. Best yell when come back this way, too, so one of the lads doesn't shoot you."

The sight that Johanna when fully armed for battle was quite a different impression than she gave when socializing in the tavern. The heavy hide armor made her look bulkier, more imposing- and there were all of those weapons... There was a harder edge to her demeanor as well, a sort of feral eager look that was a bit unsettling. Her voice was still the same, though, and she managed to thank Morris for the healing potions with good grace before she stowed the vials in a convenient belt pouch.

As they made their way through the city, she took in the sights as they passed with the obvious gawking of one unused to such a bustling setting, but once they reached the tunnel and the cistern she seemed to grow more focused, less wide-eyed. She had a bit of trouble making her way down the ladder with all of her weapons and gear, but finally managed the descent. As the group made its way down the tunnel to the guard post, she kept taking glances at the roof above them. She had been underground a few times, but not this deep- if there was a roof over her head it was usually part of a building. Here one could feel the weight of the stone overhead- it didn't frighten her, exactly, but it was new and different.

Once they reached the guard station , she peered for a moment into the tunnel beyond. As Redbeard asked his questions, she busied herself with final preparations- adjusting the heavy spiked gauntlets, stripping away the protective guard from the tip of her longspear, and checking to make sure her other weapons were easily accessible. And, of course, she scanned her companions once more, noting what each of the men wore for armor or carried for obvious weapons.

Once Redbeard had his response, she spoke up. "Well, it looks like this is most likely your type of terrain, since I don't think any of us is a trained trapfinder," she began, looking at Broderick. "If you want to take the point, I'll back you up- if it widens out we can fight side by side. Redbeard and Larren, you two can take the back- either side by side, or whichever of you has sharpest eyes as rear guard. And you can take the middle, and hold the light- that way you can support either side of the group if need be." The last comment was directed to the psion, whose light armor made him the most vulnerable in Johanna's estimation, and whose offensive abilities (besides the obvious crossbow) she understood least well. "That ought to get us started, though we'll adjust if we run into something tricky. Do any of you have any alternative plans, or shall we head in?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases