Is it a good idea to store Rotten Food in the Freezer?

Pbartender

First Post
Harmon said:
If it was me- I would not place a special basket or anything in the freezer, Id't just open the freezer, find the bag and toss it in the trash outside. If my wife complained I would say "I didn't want to forget. Sorry, I know you planned to take care of it. I was just trying to help,"

Or, "I'd rather have the garbage stink, than the freezer." ;)

Ambrus

Explorer
Heh. I thought I was the only one who ever did this. It simply occurred to me to do this one day to avoid the stinky-trash-can-for-a-week dilemma. My girlfriend thought I was a genius to have though of it as a solution. I don't pile the leftovers on top of the good food; I simply seal away the leftovers in two or three plastic shopping bags and tuck it into an empty corner by itself. The good food is likewise sealed away in its own packaging so there's never any crossover.

I don't see why anyone would consider this unsanitary; there's essentially no difference between scraps and the fresh food except for the hour or two it spent out of the freezer to be cooked and eaten. If you've ever refrozen leftovers and then decided to throw them out rather than eat them then you've pretty much done the same thing.

Harmon

First Post
Pbartender said:
Or, "I'd rather have the garbage stink, than the freezer." ;)

Fine point, but I would rather not start a fight with her. Compliment, show kindness, and be patient, and eventually she will see that its not a good idea.

xrpsuzi

First Post
Do you have a reliable disposal hooked into your sink?

It goes away before it has time to rot and stink, and lemons or seeped tea leaves (or coffee grounds) will neutralize any odors.

People pick up weird habits (and ways of thinking) from their family and treat it like gospel, so I understand you needing a scientific study in order to break the habit.

If it bugs you, I'd take another poster's advice and just take out the bad food to the trash. That way you aren't trying to change her behavior; you're simply changing yours to make your food space more friendly.

-Suzi

Last edited:

Goblyn

Explorer
Vraille Darkfang said:
If I tell her "Remember when you told me to make sure you never turn into your mother? Well you are doing it right now." I'm not sure what would happen, but I know a good deal of the alternatives are not pleasent.

Just happen to be holding a gun while you say it:D

Remove ads