ELH & Artifacts?

Okay, I'm out of the RPG field (since I'm auctioning off my stuff :) ), but I'm wondering if the ELH has anything about creating artifacts?

Specifically, I've been a fan of Saberhagen's Swords series (First to Third book of Swords, First to Eighth Book of Lost Swords, A Treasury of Swords), and I'm interested if anyone could do a conversion? I'd love to see them statted....

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Heretic Apostate said:
Okay, I'm out of the RPG field (since I'm auctioning off my stuff :) ), but I'm wondering if the ELH has anything about creating artifacts?

Nope. It specifically states that the creation of artifacts is out of the reach of mortal creatures, including epic-level creatures.

Zigmutt

First Post
but in D&Dg, you can attain demigod or God status. So, if you can convince a God to resign his throne for a couple days, you can the power to crteate the greatest stuff ever...

Crothian

First Post
But the magical items in ELH can easily be better then the power of artifacts. So, you can use their rules as guidelines to and then qualify the final result as an artifact so it can't be made again.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Crothian said:
But the magical items in ELH can easily be better then the power of artifacts. So, you can use their rules as guidelines to and then qualify the final result as an artifact so it can't be made again.

True 'dat!

A +5 holy wounding keen scimitar of brilliant energy may not be an artifact, but it is within the capabilities of a high enough epic level character and is equally as good or better than a lot of the artifacts that *are* out there.

So who needs to be able to create artifacts? Epic items are fine by me! :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Nightchilde-2 said:

True 'dat!

A +5 holy wounding keen scimitar of brilliant energy may not be an artifact, but it is within the capabilities of a high enough epic level character and is equally as good or better than a lot of the artifacts that *are* out there.

So who needs to be able to create artifacts? Epic items are fine by me! :)

Ah- but two things (perhaps minor in some DM's worlds)....I can easily destroy your +5 holy wounding keen scimitar while a similar artifact is indestructible (unless of course you can find the "secret" way to destroy an artifact forever). Plus, most artifacts still function in an antimagic field while magic items do not.

Dispel magic will also affect magic items, but not artifacts. :D

Last edited:

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Grazzt said:

Ah- but one thing (perhaps minor in some DM's worlds)....I can easily destroy your +5 holy wounding keen scimitar while a similar artifact is indestructible (unless of course you can find the "secret" way to destroy an artifact forever). Plus, most artifacts still function in an antimagic field while magic items do not.

Ah, yes, you are correct sir. That's the big downside.

Crothian

First Post
Grazzt said:

Ah- but two things (perhaps minor in some DM's worlds)....I can easily destroy your +5 holy wounding keen scimitar while a similar artifact is indestructible (unless of course you can find the "secret" way to destroy an artifact forever). Plus, most artifacts still function in an antimagic field while magic items do not.

Dispel magic will also affect magic items, but not artifacts. :D

I was suggesting uses the ELH rules as guidelines for building actual artifacts. I realize that a magical item has certain limitations that artifacts get past.

One thing people need to realize it that just becasue it's an artifact, does not mean it has to be powerful. In my world I have Dragon Daggers. One is crafter after every kind of dragon in existance. Non are powerful (the Red Dragon Dagger is basically a Dagger+1, Flaming). It's thier history that really makes them unique and coveted.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Crothian said:

I was suggesting uses the ELH rules as guidelines for building actual artifacts. I realize that a magical item has certain limitations that artifacts get past.

Yeppers- caught that Crothian (wasnt a brainfart like that other thread I posted in :D). And you are correct. They would serve the purpose most likely. I was just replying to the above post about how epic magic items are as good or better than artifacts.

One thing people need to realize it that just becasue it's an artifact, does not mean it has to be powerful. In my world I have Dragon Daggers. One is crafter after every kind of dragon in existance. Non are powerful (the Red Dragon Dagger is basically a Dagger+1, Flaming). It's thier history that really makes them unique and coveted.

Exactly. In my campaign there is a circlet (known as the Circlet of Contabrina). Contabrina was a witch that participated in the Eve of Abominations (that led to the War of the Magic-born) over 400 years ago. The circlet is an artifact in my world, but is by no means "powerful." It is the legend, history, and mythical quality surrounding it that makes it unique.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases