Feat choice

werk

First Post
Having trouble deciding on 2 first level feats for a human theurge in training. I'm starting him at third level, and already picked divine metamagic-extend for that feat, but I'm really torn on the other two.

Right now I have endurance and diehard. It sounds stupid, but I'm thinking, as primary healer/caster for the group, it could save the game at some point...but it's just not sitting right. I'm also aching to take improved initiative, infinitely useful, but fairly lacklustre.

PC is going to be OLD, so will have low str and dex and con, and as a theurge I won't be casting offensively very much.

Any advice on two feats that work well at low level but remain useful all the way up?

There are some feats in either Races of Destiny or PH2 (maybe both) that let you re-roll a failed save. That's a pretty good ability that remains useful throughout your adventuring career.

DaveyJones

First Post
werk said:
Having trouble deciding on 2 first level feats for a human theurge in training. I'm starting him at third level, and already picked divine metamagic-extend for that feat, but I'm really torn on the other two.

Right now I have endurance and diehard. It sounds stupid, but I'm thinking, as primary healer/caster for the group, it could save the game at some point...but it's just not sitting right. I'm also aching to take improved initiative, infinitely useful, but fairly lacklustre.

PC is going to be OLD, so will have low str and dex and con, and as a theurge I won't be casting offensively very much.

Any advice on two feats that work well at low level but remain useful all the way up?

you do know that improved init is the most taken feat in the Monster Manual, right? followed by weapon focus.

with a low dex you are gonna be slow on init. and easier to hit. plus have a bad reflex save.

but as the primary caster it is probably better for you to pick a speciality. examples being blaster, ranged ray guy, transformer, summoner, etc...

and then build your feats around what you want to do.

so if you are gonna stay out of the fights. you might want to work on buff spells. or tricks to transform the battlefield. like web or grease or ways to get things open or locked that are magical.

Xanterith

First Post
Practiced Spellcaster - CDiv or CArc - Very valuable for multiclassed spellcasters. Basically you get the 3 levels from priest added back onto your Arcane spells.

werk

First Post
DaveyJones said:
so if you are gonna stay out of the fights. you might want to work on buff spells. or tricks to transform the battlefield. like web or grease or ways to get things open or locked that are magical.

Gee, ya think? :p Just kidding.

Yes, this is a buffer, healer, AoE theurge. My primary plan, right now, is to buff the party monk, who shares my religious zeal, to the teeth with my extended buffs and ladel on healing as needed.

Xanterith said:
Practiced Spellcaster
This is more of the stuff I'm looking for, I think. I could take this twice and at least my caster level wouldn't lag behind.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
werk said:

You answered your own question. You have no choice but to choose Extend Spell as your feat, unless you want your prior choice of Divine Metamagic to be useless.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
If starting at third level, go with

Extend spell
Extra Turning
Divine Metamagic-Extend.

Unless of course you have Nightsticks.

Practices spellcaster is going to do you no good at 3rd level, so it might be a good 6th and 9th level feat, or even a bit later. You will be feat starved, so maybe putting one in your first level slot might be better than the Extra Turning.

werk

First Post
Mistwell said:
You answered your own question. You have no choice but to choose Extend Spell as your feat, unless you want your prior choice of Divine Metamagic to be useless.

I guess I was so giddy that the DM allowed it that I had overlooked that technicality.

I think EyeontheMountain has it. I may not take extra turning yet, because, well, I don't have enough divine spells to use all my turns as is.

What's a nightstick? ...besides a tonfa.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases