Research metamagicked spells?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It seems to me that most metamagicked spells are weaker than spells of their spellslot level. It also seems that certain feats are used with just one or two spells at most. The wizard might sonically substitute and empower a fireball, but that's his main damage spell. Why should he spend two feats, when he could just research a 5th level spell? Even if he has to research higher level versions of cat's grace and fox's cunning or whatever, it is probably a wise investment considering the usefulness of feats.

Take that empowered fireball. It takes up a 5th level spell slot. 5th level spells automatically have a base save DC of 15 + Int modifier, as compared to 13 + Int modifier. And their damage caps are generally 15 dice, not 10 dice. And there are nifty extra features (delayed blast fireball, for instance, includes the effect of a "delay" metamagic feat- which is worth +3 spellslots).

Say we make a soundball (20' radius) that does 1d6 + 1 hp damage per level of caster (max 15d6 +15). Wouldn't that be a reasonable 5th level spell? At 10th level this "greater soundball" would do an average of 45 hp of damage. The empowered, sonically substituted fireball would do 52.5 hp; a little better. But the gap gets closed within a few levels. At 15th level the greater soundball would do 67.5 hp damage. That's significantly beyond the empowered fireball, and within spitting distance of a double empowered fireball (70 hp). And with a better save DC.

Arguably the empower and energy substitution (sonic) metamagic feats are among the best, if not the best, feats for a wizard to take. But I would suggest that it is a better investment for a wizard to develop new spells than to metamagick old ones.

drowdude

First Post
Well, there is something of a precedence for this set in Magic of Faerun, in regards to Energy Substitution at least... Scintilating Sphere is just an electrical version of Fireball (the errata even fixes the difference in range).

Also, as something of a side note (since this *is* the House Rules forum ;) ), I allow Sorcerers to learn metamagicked versions of spells. For instance, a sorcerer could learn Twinned Magic Missile as a 5th level spell.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
There is the Mystic PrCL that hasaa really cool ability to learn metamagiced spells as normal spells. Something like that.

Just remember that researching new spells is expensive and time consuming. Otherwise it should be fine.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Yes, it is expensive and time consuming. But if time and money could get you a feat, don't you think people would jump at the chance?

Additionally, you could peddle your spells to other wizards, and defray your costs.

Crothian

First Post
It doesn't get you a feat. It gives you one spell that acts like it has a feat. Remeber, first you have to get this past the DM. So, researching your 5th level soundball takes 5 straight weeks of access to a fully stocked wizard library, 5000gp of research cost, and the spellcraft roll DC 15. However, that's for researching a known spell. Your spell is unknown. What 's the cost? Well, it doesn't say.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
No, it doesn't give a feat, but if I don't spend a feat on energy substitution: sonic, or empower, then I can spend it on something else. End result: one feat.

And I think that if substituting energy or empowering something is well enough understood that it can become second nature (wizards can make the necessary adjustments to the spell when they prepare it), that it can't be too hard to research.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases