Dungeon Crawl Classics - like 'em?

Korgoth

First Post
How have people's experiences been with Goodman's Dungeon Crawl Classics series? They're the one thing in 3E that still excites my interest from time to time. The only one I've looked at is The Dread Crypt of Srihoz, which I bought basically because of the Otus cover. It actually looks like a real killer.

Treebore

First Post
No, I hate all 23 of the ones I own with a deep, black hate that consumes me night and day.

Actually I find most of them "Good", a couple are "Ho hum", and the others I like a lot. Tastes vary though, because I have read posts from people who loved the ones I found Ho hum (Bloody Jack's Gold) and good (Mysterious Tower), and disliked the ones I thought were exceptionally good (Crypt of the Devil Lich and DCC 12.5).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If you like the source material -- they're basically big love letters to the classic 1E and BD&D dungeon of the earliest years -- you're pretty much going to love Dungeon Crawl Classics.

If the classic modules don't do much for you, these won't either.

Me, I love 'em. What's more, I think in many cases, Goodman's folks improve on the material that inspired him (and them).

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Most of them are quite good. Although I probably only have about 10 of them.

I really like how the vast majority can be dropped into your game with no hassle. Although with the advent of their campaign setting, I worry that will not be the case in future products. Though the only one I think that might apply to is that Whiterock, which apparently has major NPCs from that world playing some role in it (at least they made the cover art, of the product)

Ant

First Post
I recently finished running a small party through The Mysterious Tower. It was an absolute blast and we all enjoyed it a great deal.

Admittedly, I did make some changes here and there and it was amusing to uncover one player's intense hatred of
"illogical dungeon traps"
but overall we all gave it a big thumbs up.

Edit: Added spoiler tag just in case

Last edited:

The Cardinal

First Post
I love 'em - they actually got me to start a new campaign (at Level 0), just so I could enjoy the DCCs and the wonderful setting Goodman Games has build around them (DCC35)!

spectre72

First Post
I am currently running a campaign using many DCC set in a modified version of Eberron.

The thing that my group likes about the adventures is that we grew up playing many classic adventures, but we have all played them.

Along comes DCC and writes adventures inspired by the early classics.

So I can insert a DCC and suddenly we feel like we are playing those classics again, but they are new and fresh.

Things like Into the Wild, Talons of the Horned Gods, the Mysterious Tower, and the Dragonfiend Pact.

They are not perfect, but I have never found a single published adventure that was.

IronWolf

blank
Our DM has run us through several DCC adventures. Our group finds them fun and it fits our style quite well in most cases. I own a DCC adventure, but have not run it.

Qualidar

First Post
I've only read two: Aerie of the Crow God, which was said by many people here to be one of their best (at the time, anyway) and Shadows in Freeport, which I bought for my love of Freeport, and which I hadn't heard any advance word. I thought Aerie was good enough, with a descent enough adventure locale and interesting challenges. It was the reprint, so it was bundled with a sequel adventure, which was fair. I felt Shadows was very bad: an uninteresting and illogical dungeon crawl. On top of that, it had nothing to do with Freeport, pirates, or anything vaguely reminiscent of what I expected from a "Freeport" module, so I felt mislead and ripped off. Given that history, I don't really think the DCC line is for me. I might pick one up in a discount bin sometime and give them another try, but I'm not running out to get any more. I tend to like Dungeon (magazine) adventures a lot better, though, so your tastes might not match mine.

~Qualidar~

Remove ads