Shark World Inc

alsih2o

First Post
don't forget lemmings! but since this is fantasy and all the mean dudes are under water you could have fishes that suicidally throw themselves ashore.....an easy source of food for the landlubber brave enuf to venture that close to an aquatic rampage!

Y'know what's really weird? I was only half paying attention to this thread. Then Saturday I went to play a game with some friends of mine (I didn't know they were gamers previously; this was our first game) and --you guessed it-- we had a tropical island homebrew. After one adventure, they decided to pass the DMing on to me (I guess I really impressed them? :confused:

Anyway, suddenly this thread is a goldmine for ideas as I have to DM a homebrew that I didn't start and didn't really have any concepts for...

Crothian

First Post
This thread started the same way. IT wasn't that serious, and now that we are getting into the actual facts of the situation things are starting to get tough so any ideas you have feel free to post them on up.

Actually, I was more along the lines of mining the thread for ideas...

Our first adventure had a city that was just crying to be Freeport with another name, though. That may be an interesting thing to add...

Crothian

First Post
Freeport would make a good addition. However, it'd end up being the largest city above the waves. Not that that's a bad thing.

Good idea, I'll have to think how to fit it in.

Aeolius

Adventurer
For a bit of light reading, I might recommend the "official" info on the Pinnacles of Azor'alq, at: Greyhawk Mysterious Places

Envision 200 stone pillars, each a quarter of a mile in diameter at the surface of the water, none farther than 2 miles from its neighbor. It makes for a very crowded 30 mile hex. :D

I just posted Chapter 93 of "Beneath the Pinnacles of Azor'alq". If you'd like a link, or would like to drop in on my Tuesday night BPAA chat, you'll find my e-mail address on my BPAA homepage.

Edited to change: "all within 2 miles of one another" to "none farther than 2 miles from its neighbor".....whoopsie ;)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
So, what the heck is an underwater city going to be like? It's going to be built in three diminesions since everyone can swim up as well as laterally. It can be dug into the silt and ground, or be built alone an underwater cliff. Coral could be used as a building supply. It doesn't grow very fast naturally, but magic could be used to greatly increase its groth, shape it, and make it more stabl;e. There can be great kelp gardens and coral used as a natural barrier. THey can be lined with many poisonous creatures (the most poisonous of all creatures are underwater).

Crothian

First Post
alsih2o said:

i could see a huge array of cliff dwellings in an underwater rift. camo would be easy, 3-d access would be easy.

That would be cool. They could even top it off to allow a layer of silt to cover the trench for the perfect camo. They would have alternative entrances and possible a labrynth of tunnels.

drowdude

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Y'know what's really weird? I was only half paying attention to this thread. Then Saturday I went to play a game with some friends of mine (I didn't know they were gamers previously; this was our first game) and --you guessed it-- we had a tropical island homebrew. After one adventure, they decided to pass the DMing on to me (I guess I really impressed them? :confused:

Anyway, suddenly this thread is a goldmine for ideas as I have to DM a homebrew that I didn't start and didn't really have any concepts for...

Hope you find some ideas here that you can use JD.

(Oh... and sorry for hijacking your thread over in the Meta forum :p :) )

Remove ads