Cartography....Ultimate Tools Thread

Ulric

First Post
I've been reading this forum (Art Gallery, Cartography & Miniatures Painting) for a few weeks now and I've figured out what it is missing: a "tools discussion" thread. So many people seem to be using so many different types of software, tablets, color brushes etc. that it is very hard to learn stuff. So please tell us what tools you are using for what parts of your maps; even "I do everything with Photoshop" is fine. Let's discuss what tools people are using and the merits of each as it applies to map making. I'll start with a list of possible tools:

Photoshop (bitmap editor/manipulator)
CorelDraw (vector editor/manipulator)
PainterX
Graphics Tablets
GIMP (bitmap and vector? editor?)
Scanners
Campaign Cartographer 3 and Dundjinni

And I'll add a comment and a question (to give you an idea of the type of things I'd like to talk about: It seems to me that lots of hardcore artist types use PainterX and/or Adobe Illustrator and a Wacom tablet. What are your experiences with these tools and do you have any map examples you've made with these tools?

Thanks.

Demarest

First Post
Graph paper, mechanical pencils and colored pencils. I do everything by hand. And my maps are pretty good - I'd post them but I don't have a scanner. Oh, and then I color photocopy my maps so I can keep the originals and use the copies during play.

kensanata

Explorer
Most of the time, I use a pencil and paper, then scan it, stretch contrast so that the lines are black and the background is 100% white in the Gimp, and that's it.

I've been dabbling in the use of the Gimp & Inkscape for color maps, but that's mostly out of curiosity, since I wouldn't be printing them in full color for my players anyway.

Remove ads