Ashin's Commission, RA Style--Michael Alone

Rystil Arden

First Post
*He does not see the corpses of the patrol in front of the mine. He does see some sort of tracks, but he can't really follow them or distinguish them--he's no woodsman.*

ajanders

Explorer
Michael advances nervously into the mouth of the mine, flaming brand in one hand, hammer in the other.
If the brand even looks like thinking of going out, he retreats to the outside.

Are there ore carts? Storage cabinets for tools or supplies (like torches or lanterns?)

How big is the mine entrance and the shaft? Can he cast enlarge here safely?

ajanders

Explorer
Michael attempts to calm his nerves by singing a cheerful (if secular) song.

As I went out to fair Orussus
(At the hour of deep midnight)
I came upon a halfling maiden washing her feet by candlelight.
First she washed them, then she dried them, over a bed of amber coal.
In all my life I ne'er did see a maiden with hair upon her sole.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*There are ore carts here, mainly overturned, and several cracked shelves near the entrance that may have held simple supplies. The shaft is fairly wide, at least at this point, and it looks like an Enlarged Michael could fit without even squeezing yet.*

ajanders

Explorer
"What for the toorah loorah lally,
What for the toorah loorah lay?
What for the toorah loorah lally,
What for the toorah loorah lay..."

Michael looks at the shelves, still murdering the tune quietly under his breath.
Someone cleaned off the shelves...to go exploring?
He looks at the ore carts meditatively, then humming, struck by a thought.

Say the patrol came here. Say they were greedy, either by Fallonese policy or by the nature of man. Say they came to the mine, grabbed some extra torches, got some of the stored ore, and took it...where?

And Michael snorts.
"Forget where, try how?"
It seems unlikely they put it all in their hip pockets and deserted. Well, Zaeryl would think it likely.

He looks at the orecarts. Are they empty and overturned, or spilled and overturned? If spilled, what did they spill?

"Cover?" he ponders to himself.
Perhaps the patrol was chased in here by something and overturned the carts to form a blockade.
Perhaps the patrol chased something in here that overturned the carts...

Michael wishes he'd had this idea before he started singing.
He quickly checks on the position of the orecarts before he withdraws from the mine.
Do they block the way in, or out?
Are there any bodies scattered around?

If there's nothing else much to discover, Michael retreats outside, finds a nice thorny bush, and camps under it.
While he has light, he cuts pine knots for torches.
Lots of torches.

Shoulda been a ranger...

Rystil Arden

First Post
*The carts seem to be empty and overturned, as if their contents had already been gathered and they were waiting here for further use. They don't really form an effective barrier, though they are somewhat in the way. There don't seem to be any bodies scattered about, but a lucky search reveals a small amount of blood scuffed against the ground near the overturned carts as if a bleeding body was dragged slightly or a bleeding man was limping or crawling across the ground.*

*Michael heads out and camps near the thornbush, preparing for the night ahead.*

(OOC: No watch orders, then, since he's alone, so he's going to legitimately be asleep in the open with no backup or lookout except the demon horse for eight hours, right?)

ajanders

Explorer
Not "Next to the thornbush".

Under, or perhaps inside, the thornbush, as in, "crawled into the heart, on the inside of all the pointy parts".

If necessary, some pruning will be done with the dagger and some poking will be endured: he can always plug his passage with the cut branches later.
Getting in will not be fun, but he figures if he has no fun climbing in when he has a knife to cut and light to see, any flesh eating monsters will have even less fun, particularly when he pulls his dagger out and stabs at them in a frenzy.

Unless he missed any convenient abandoned shacks, it seems safer than caves. There are, of course, ways to find out if something lives in the cave you want to camp in.
You can throw in a rock.
That way you get to see the dire grizzly bear that eats you.

The demon-horse is hobbled outside the thornbush. With Michael's luck, it probably helps him further into the thornbush with a kick.

Extra prayers for the night. Sometimes it would really help to be a mason.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Okay--the trouble is there aren't any big 'briar-patch' size thornbushes in the nearby area--it is mostly rocky and only has small shrubs and sparse brush. Will Michael risk scouting around for a long time to look for a better thornbush or will a small one do?)

ajanders

Explorer
Michael looks remorsefully at the fourth thornbush and regrets all those third helpings years ago.

Cave then.

He turns back along the cliff face and begins to lead his horse, covering ground as quickly as he can.
He needs a small cave or a large thornbush: whichever comes first.
The cave gets some rocks pitched into to see if anyone complains, then Michael moves in, tethers his horse, and tries to block the entrance off a bit with rocks and thornbushes.
He does't want to close it entirely, but he'd like a little privacy.

Hope I left enough time for all this.

Michael will get a secure camp first, then cut pine knots.
He may not have enough time to cut pine knots this evening.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Looking around carefully, Michael finds a few prospect caves, but only one that he is convinced is shallow and has no back passageways that might lead to something worse deeper under the earth. Blocking the entrance off with plenty of rocks and a little bit of brush, he sets up camp and feels so tired that he may have to worry about the knife slipping if he tries to cut pine knots, so he eventually drifts off to sleep.*

*Much as Michael hates the demon horse, it is no surprise that it bothers his sleep in the middle of the night with whinnying and snorting and a general ruckus. As he comes closer to a state of general consciousness, he hears a soft sinister scratching sound at the other side of his rock barricade.*

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases