Recosting Magic Items in MIC = Blatant Power Creep...er..Power Charge?

takasi

First Post
Yes, Blatant Power Creep is an oxymoron. Power Charge?

I know the book's not out yet, but it sounds like readjusting the cost of magic items could open a floodgate of more powerful players.

takasi

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
All fear the power creep of more player characters owning ropes of climbing!

Ropes of climbing can break games designed for use rope skills.

Then again, in some campaigns I've banned sunrods; they take the fun out of torchbearers...

JustKim

First Post
I'm all for it. I was considering doing away with magic item sales in an upcoming game, because any unique or quirky item is naturally going to be sold for something more efficient.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
takasi said:
Ah yes, I remember the R series of 1E modules very well: R1, The Lost Rope of Cadell, R2, The Rope of the Reptile God, R3, Castle Rudens. It all went to hell in a handbasket when TSR repackaged them all together as R 1-3, Go Piss Up a Rope, but the original duotone cover ones were classics.

Then again, in some campaigns I've banned sunrods; they take the fun out of torchbearers...
The TB series, I remember it well ...

Deadguy

First Post
JustKim said:
I'm all for it. I was considering doing away with magic item sales in an upcoming game, because any unique or quirky item is naturally going to be sold for something more efficient.
I don't think that that has to be true. Some observations based on my own experience and that of friends:

(1) think about the PCs when offering unique things. Pretty obvious I know, but if the item requires quite a bit of retooling by the PCs before getting much use, they'll probably not use it. So if no-one uses shields, then offering a really cool one might not elicit much joy.

(2) A mismatch between what the DM thinks is quirky and what the players do. Things with unreliable powers that are meant to be used in life-threatening situations can often seem dangerous to the PCs rather than interesting. It's the PCs who die when the DM's quirky item screws up in a fight.

(3) The item would displace typical items that are useful to a PC of a certain class, For example whilst it might be interesting to offer a magical belt useful to fighters, the player knows he can get more reliable mileage from a typical belt of giant strength.

When I use quirky items I try and make them things that do stuff that they can't typically craft or commission for themselves. And if an item causes problems to a PC I make sure it offers commensurate advantages too. Some quirky items accepted by PCs so far include:

(i) a set of bracers that allow their wearer to hear the voices of spirits. It offers a bonus on certain Knowledge skills (not something normally available in my games), but if the wearer fails a Will save he becomes confused by the voices for 1 round as the voices overwhelm the wearer. Acceptable because they had a special bonus even if flawed.

(ii) a sword that must taste blood before it can be sheathed again. Sometimes awkward as the player learned what it would drink from. But in return the first blow struck after it is drawn counts as from a Wounding weapon. Acceptable because this was an effect that the PCs couldn't get yet.

(iii) an implantable item that is transforming the user, but in the meantime is operating as a ring of sustenance with side benefits. Acceptable as offering unusual benefits.

So I reckon it is doable, but it takes some effort. PCs won't, I agree, find any old magical item useful. Then again I am not sure that was the case in the past either - I recall older characters having items gathering dust in bags of holding, for want of any useful application.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
the essay on recosting magic items makes me want to give the book a second look, far more than any of the items had. The big six types of items really does have an impact on my game
and not in a good way, it worse if the DM ( like I have been recently) is following the wealth guidelines so that the player's chance at new items is limited by the fact he is hauling around a 48k crystal ball, even though the druid could cast scry 3x per day. Admittedly the crystal ball would occasionally behave strangely (ie plot device) and had a name "orb of knowledge" and backstory. I eventually stopped counting it as part of his wealth, and that worked better -as it was only used twice.

Remathilis

Legend
I hope they do something to reduce the need for the "regalia" of items every character I see has...

Braces of armor or armor (mithril chain shirt, mithril breastplate, or adamantine full plate) to provide AC bonus. Later, Robes of the Arcmagi are popular.
Stat-Booster Item (gauntlet/belt, gloves, headband, periphat, amulet, or cloak) appropriate to class.
Cloak (or vest) or resistance to saves.
Ring of Protection on one hand. (other ring varies).
Boots of Striding and Springing (+10 move)
Amulet of Natural Armor (unless wearing a con amulet or a wisdom periphat)
Floaty mithril heavy shield or a ring of force shield.

There are so many cool magical item (cloak of the bat! Bracers of Archery! Boots of the North) but we routinely see PCs buy/make these common (and boring) items because they improve the core functions (AC, saves, movement, ability scores) at the expense of more flavorful stuff.

Dire Bare

Legend
takasi said:

Are you serious? Games designed around rope skills and the art of torchbearing?

Okay.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases