Heart of Artifice: Part I--Engineered Enigma

Rystil Arden

First Post
"That sounds great, thank you. Let me go fix you all something first though--it would be rude of me to have our guests wait through lunch!"

*Elizabeth heads off and arrives shortly after with a tray of sandwiches, a small plate with various sorts of cheeses, and five glasses of wine. She sets a setting in front of each of them, even Anvuss unless he protests, as well as herself and one for the Professor.*

"I figured something light and simple is good--you are doubtless going to continue on today, so just enough to energise but so much as to induce lethargy or cramps. I hope you enjoy! Meanwhile, I'll go check on my beloved--perhaps he needs help cleaning up...Oh Digory, you rascal!" she smiles warmly, her expression and her tone full of love despite her slight chiding sentiment, and she heads upstairs.

(OOC: You guys can talk behind her back now if you want to say "I think she's a templated Half-Dragon Succubus Paladin!" or something ;) Otherwise, I can also skip to when they come down--wanted to give a chance though before I did that)

Velmont

First Post
OOC: Happy to see that I don't slow down that game ;)

Kharas listen to Anvuss and decide not to take position in the discussion yet. Deal one person at a time if you want the best deal have told him a dwarven merchant a day. It seems to apply here.

Looking at Elizabeth, he felt a bit uneasy. not only she looks unaturally perfect, but for a none dwarf, he found her lovely, and that disturbed him, as she seems more like a human phantasm.

As she leave, Kharas take a sandwich and take a bite. "I'll get out the pieces and start to reconstitute it." Kharas take sthe large bag and takes out teh pieces. "What do you think about her... there is something strange."

Rystil Arden

First Post
*The sandwich is excellent, a delicious blend of meats, cheese, and spices that shows off the maker's culinary prowess without being overly ostentatious or showy.*

*Kharas starts putting back the pieces in the arrangement he remembers that the three Artificers agreed upon back at Helen's home.*

Erekose13

Explorer
Aethelus is used to such social situations and does his best to maintain his manners, though it is rather difficult not to oggle. The other two might not understand, but she is an amazingly beautiful woman. He chuckles a moment when he thinks of the dwarf and warforged and how much they are missing out, but then tries to refocus his mind to the task as hand.

"Thank you very much for your hospitality, Ms. Elizabeth. These sandwiches are delicious. Will your husband be joining us soon?" he asks seeing her return without him.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Hmm? She isn't back yet ;) I gave you time to gossip about her, as Kharas did, or chat about it--let me know if you're ready for me to skip to when they come down)

Patlin

Explorer
While Anvuss engaged in much speculation about their current hostess, he doesn't see any reason to render that speculation into speech without more data.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Then it seems that you are ready--feel free to add in out-of-time-synch bits, even if your post comes after this one. I am notoriously lenient on that because I understand the difficulties of PbP!)

*After a while, they hear the sounds of footsteps descending the stairs, and two people turn the corner and enter the room together--Elizabeth and a somewhat short, slightly balding middle-aged man who is evidently the Professor. They're walking together affectionately, his arm around her and her head snuggled against him, her gaze utterly adoring as she steals a quick kiss before they take their seats in front of the two adjacent vacant sandwiches. Elizabeth retrieves the Professor's food for him and hers for herself and then sits down next to him with a smile that quickly disappears when her thoughts turn from her husband to the reason for the visitors' appearance.*

"Did something really happen to Lucy?" the Professor asks, concern evident in his features, "Please, tell me everything!"

Erekose13

Explorer
(ooc: sorry I thought she went upstairs then came back with sandwiches, missed that she disappeared again to get her husband.)

While she is upstairs, Aethelus asks his friends, "Any hypotheses yet?" Though he has not formulated any at this time, he would still be open to following particular lines of discourse when they did reappear.

~~

When the professor descends he greats the man with respect, "My sincerest apologies Professor, but yes something unfortunate has befallen Lucy. We were called by your... your ex-wife, when she discovered several strange constructs in her daughter's room. She managed to immobilize one, but the others escaped. It seems that Lucy was taken by the ones that flew away. We are trying our best to find your daughter sir. Our best lead is this damaged construct and we were hoping that with your knowledge you might be able to help." he says with a serious but delicate tone.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Kidnapped by constructs? That sounds ominous! Oh dear, oh dear, I thought maybe she had just gone to play with her friends or something while Helen was at work and Helen was just getting over-excited, but this sounds much more nefarious..."

"Can I see it?"

*He takes a look at Kharas's sorted pieces.*

"Your thoughts, dearest?" the Professor offers Elizabeth a chance to speak first.

"The design is passingly similar to several of our blueprints, especially these mithral wings, but a careful analysis proves that they are fundamentally different, despite surface similarities. Also, the inner gear material is exotic and doesn't match either the ordinary steel chassis or the wings."

"Excellent, darling--you are brilliant as usual," the Professor replies enthusiastically, kissing her on the lips.

*Kharas notices based on the Professor's expression that Professor Henley had already thought of all that but is proud of Elizabeth all the same. He probably let her go first because he wanted her to get a chance to originate a good idea, and he loves her and wants her to feel confident and proud.*

"Now then, based on the evidence pointed out by my dearest Elizabeth, as well as analysis of that mark, which seems to hold passing similarities to my own as well, I would think that this must be a clumsy attempt by someone to frame me or Elizabeth or both for the kidnapping. Whoever did so must have been hoping that the Watch or whoever got involved wouldn't notice the difference. I could never believe Helen would do anything like that, and besides, the framing attempt fails if competent Artificers check out the crime scene, and she hired you, so that rules her out..."

*His voice becomes grave.*

"Actually, I think I know what the problem is. You see...there was this dark tome being held in the Morgrave University library, but it was stolen, and I'm going to need you three to find it for me...Can you--"

*Elizabeth starts giggling delightedly as if at some joke.*

"Oh you! Stop!"

*The Professor grins and pulls her close for a side-hug.*

"Sorry, sorry. Just trying to diffuse the tension, my love," he turns to the others, "That was a bit of topical humour--it seems like every third day something exactly like that happens with a tome. Not this time--unfortunately, I don't actually have any ideas."

Last edited:

Remove ads