Being a better thief

jason_gosse

First Post
My 14 level Githzerai ranger is a bit of a thief. When we go back to the city I plan for him to go on a little crime spree. Now what I need to do is find out how to improve my hide and move silently. I have the jack of all trades feet so I can pick locks but again I need to find away to increase that. I have 17 ranks in both hide and move silently. As well as a dex bonus of 11. Going to 13 after I get back to town and buy a manual of quickness and action. (We have a magic heavy campaign witch I like) so other then that is there any thing I can buy that may help me getter better scores in the hide and move silently. So far all I have found is elixirs of sneaking and of hiding that directly affect those skills.

Patlin

Explorer
If you're really good at sneaking, the enemy will probably only notice you if he rolls well AND you roll badly... so take 10 whenever possible.

monboesen

Explorer
So you have a +28 modifier on Hide and Move Silent (going up to +30 soon). I would think that was plenty in most games. Who do you expext to have Listen and Spot modifier in that range.

I guess you have an +11 modifier on Open locks (going to +13). Masterwork tools will net you a +2 bonus on top of that. For a decent +13(+15).

Dross

Explorer
There is the obvious items: Cloacks of elvenkind, rings of invisibility etc.

FRCS or another FR source book has weirdskill spell (which may have a counterpart in the spell compendium) that gives a +10 to a skill roll. 1st level cleric spell I think. Some type of item/potion with that would be helpful.

jason_gosse

First Post
monboesen said:
So you have a +28 modifier on Hide and Move Silent (going up to +30 soon). I would think that was plenty in most games. Who do you expext to have Listen and Spot modifier in that range.

I guess you have an +11 modifier on Open locks (going to +13). Masterwork tools will net you a +2 bonus on top of that. For a decent +13(+15).

Well some of my party members for one. my ranger is normaly the first one in the room and has been skimming from the top of the coins he finds.
But other then that I just want to have better scores I love to have better and better scores. I mean yeah 30 is sweet but 35 would still be better.

jason_gosse

First Post
Dross said:
There is the obvious items: Cloacks of elvenkind, rings of invisibility etc.

FRCS or another FR source book has weirdskill spell (which may have a counterpart in the spell compendium) that gives a +10 to a skill roll. 1st level cleric spell I think. Some type of item/potion with that would be helpful.

Yes I can't belive I never thought of not just the cloak of elven kind but the boots of elven kind. would give me a plus 5 on both. I not sure if I want to go with invisibility, I want some chance I will get cought on my lil thiving escapade but I have thought of a pass with out a trace potion as well as the elixer of hinding and of sneaking thats a plus 10 on both for one hour

Remove ads