What tricks do you use to cut down on NPC prep time?

RedFox

First Post
Don't multi-class them unless absolutely necessary.
Don't Template them unless absolutely necessary. Likewise, don't Template AND Multi-class them at the same time or you're in a world of hurt.
Give them a generic package of gear from either the DMG or the PHB2. Add in one or two unique items if you need to, to make things interesting.
If they're going to be recurring, put down their overriding motivation and keep it in mind at all times. If they've got some overriding concern, it's easy to come up with their reaction to most any situation. Just make sure you have the "why" nailed down tight.
Use a character generator if at all possible. It speeds NPC building by quite a bit.

Job

First Post
I use NPC Designer. It is by far one of the easiest pieces of D&D software to use, accommodates a huge variety of NPC races, classes, levels and templates, and it spits out stats in a variety of formats.

NPC Designer Homepage

I then import that NPC into my DM Genie application to manage the campaign. :)

Hurm

Crothian

First Post
Cheat

Seriously, I'll make up stats on the fly and not care if they follow the rules rather then spend time statting out NPCs. I get the stats close to what they should be, the game runs fast, and everyone has fun. NPC prep time is better spent with who they are and my NPCs are not defined first by their stats.

Ron

Explorer
I write them to be dramatically correct, not by the book. I am always impressed how some people, such as John Cooper, care so much about the correctness of the stat block. I may admire his work but I don't think it is necessary. I don't care much about the stats as long as they sound good for my purposes.

Writing a NPC has little to do with skill points and number of allowed feats. Writing a NPC is all about the right stats to do whatever the DM thinks is dramatically appropriated to that character.

I usually choose a level, take note of the saving throws and BAB, which I immediately adjust to what I think it would be necessary (if necessary, I calculate latter the abilities). I write the hit points taking in account the level of the character and the story need (sometimes I adjust it during play), choose some feats I think would be cool, sometimes I write a couple of skills that might be useful and, when needed, I choose some spells to be prepared (leaving a few to improvisation). Finally, I equip the NPC based in whatever is needed often anticipating the impact after the players take the loot. Characters like this are usually with some unspent skill points and feats, while magic books are still open to be defined. Still, players will rarely notice any difference to BtB NPC. With practice, you just write it in a couple of minutes and it is ready to go.

FireLance

Legend
If I'm sending the PCs against an organization composed of individuals with similar skill sets (a cabal of shadar-kai dread necromancers, for example), I advance the NPCs between adventures at the same rate as the PCs. If the 1st-level PCs meet a 1st-level shadar-kai dread necromancer in their 1st-level adventure, they will meet a 2nd-level shadar-kai dread necromancer in their 2nd-level adventure. This way, I break up NPC creation and advancement into bite-sized stages and I seldom have to create high-level NPCs from scratch.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Tip #1: Don't use NPCs

Tip #2: Use the blocks out of the DMG.

Tip #3: Use the blocks in prestige class descriptions

Tip #4: Don't overcomplicate. Do they really need two points in some skills?

Cheers!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases