Research Costs for Spells

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Ok...sorry if this has been talked about else where, but after a Forum search I couldn't find anything.

I know that Wizards get their 2 spells/level free as part of their "ongoing research", but then when I look in the SRD/PHB it also says under both the Arcane Magic & Divine Magic that characters can also research/create unique spells never seen before.

SRD said:
Independent Research: A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.

My question that I can't seem to find an answer for would be: How much does said research cost?? Is it just the 100gp/spell level like it would be to scribe the spell into their spell book should they find a scroll of it?

My assumption is that, yes, you could take this new spell as one of the two free ones per level as a wizard or 1/lvl as a sorcerer, but what if you wanted to research it independantly of those spells? Also relevant for Clerics & other divine casters who get their whole spell list automatically, but wish to supplement it...

Thanks!

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
shilsen said:
See DMG pg.198.

Ahh, thanks! I couldn't find my DMG, so I was just using the SRD. Guess they can't put the whole thing into the SRD eh? I'll look it up when I finally track the book down.

BTW, I love Cedric! You should do some more fiction with him, those stories are great! :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Salthorae said:
Ahh, thanks! I couldn't find my DMG, so I was just using the SRD. Guess they can't put the whole thing into the SRD eh? I'll look it up when I finally track the book down.

The SRD does leave out a lot of stuff, and the troublesome bit is when they'll just drop a relevant sentence from a spell or other rule, which changes the interpretation completely.

In short, you need to spend a week of research per spell level, spend 1000 gp per spell level, and make a Spellcraft check of DC 10 + spell level at the end.

BTW, I love Cedric! You should do some more fiction with him, those stories are great! :)

Thanks. Unfortunately, what with my other work and writing the story hour for my campaign, I don't really have time for it. But I do have one instalment in the pipeline. I've been playing Cedric in his pre-paladin days in a monthly game and he will likely achieve paladinhood in the next session (coming up in 2 weeks). I've got a bit of a writeup for the process, and once he does, I'll change it to fit what happens and then throw it up on the Cedric thread.

[pimping]But if you like Cedric, maybe you should check out my campaign story hour too. Cedric's an NPC there, though with very little face time[/pimping]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases