Paladin Variant Traits And Variant Aasimar Race Questions

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Very long question, with an introduction to the issues, followed by the actual questions. Forgive my verbose nature, I write in my spare time; I tend to overelaborate.

Alright, here's the scenario - I intend to create a paladin, in case whatever party I find myself with is short a fighter or a healer (or both). But, being me, with my infernal inability to conform to the norm (that's a catchy little phrase), I have to do something differently. Nope, Core Races and Classes aren't for me. Even if it's a change as insignificant as Hill Dwarf to Mountain Dwarf, I gotta be me. So, the paladin so far -

RACE - Faded Aasimar (please contribute cooler name ideas)
__________________________________________________ _

Faded Aasimar Racial Traits

- Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Con. (The penalty to Constitution balances the otherwise downsideless traits of an Aasimar, with the explanation that as the divine influence fades over the generations, so does some of the body's vitality. Being accustomed to divine power and having it slowly fade away is tough on Constitution, but not crippling. Faded Aasimar are simply a little more frail than Aasimar; they lose little of their wisdom or charisma. Penalizing Dexterity or Strength wouldn't make sense - Celestials aren't clumsy or weak, but their ties to another plane might have an odd effect on mortal offspring. Balanced, as far as LA is concerned, and still very well suited for a Paladin.)
- Native Outsider. (A little strange, but not a major asset. Vulnerable to anti-outsider abilities and effects, invulnerable to effects that affect only humanoids. Not a huge factor in determining LA.)
- Medium Size. (Nothing odd here!)
- 30 ft. move speed. (Again, nothing new.)
- Darkvision 60 ft. (One of the only non-diminished Aasimar traits. Great, but not major.)
- Light as a Spell-like Ability, once per day. Caster level equal to ECL. (Daylight is a little on the heavy side for determining LA, and Light is just a step below. A useful, but not gamebreaking skill, especially when usable only once per day. Simply means that if you need to see color for an hour or so, you can.)
- +1 to Listen and Spot checks. (Half those of an Aasimar, similar to the difference between Elves and Half-Elves. If you think that it would be fair to bring it up to the full +2 without incurring an LA, let me know.)
- Resistance 2 to acid, cold, and electricity. (Reduced from the high levels of the Aasimar to a reasonable level. Rarer energy types, so it's a big feature of the race, but I think it still manages to coast in with no LA.)
- Automatic Languages: Common and Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan. (Same as Aasimar, but with more emphasis on Common, and less on Celestial.)
- Favored Class: Paladin. (A perfect fit.)
__________________________________________________ _

OK, the rundown for the race is this: same as the Progression class for Aasimar as seen on the Wizard's website, with two differences: Half the skill bonuses, automatic bonus to Wisdom, and a penalty to Constitution for balance. On the Wizard's web site, this race is given no LA, and the option to become a full Aasimar with one level. This is the same, save for the aforementioned differences and no option for gaining the full Aasimar traits. As such, I think it works with no LA, but I think cutting the skill bonuses might be a little harsh. So, should I keep the full bonuses, or would that raise the LA to +1?

They are not "Half-Aasimar", as that implies a split of power, rather than a gradual weakening due to a further genetic removal from the celestial in the family. Oh, and feel free to use this race if you like it - same rules apply to Faded Tieflings and the like. Penalty to Constitution, full ability adjustments, halved skill bonuses, and the rest is under the progressions article on the Wizard's site.

Now, for my main question: My Paladin will utilize a plethora of variants, most notably the Paladin of Freedom variant class (instead of immunity to fear with Aura of Courage, immunity to compulsion with Aura of Resolve, a CG alignment, slightly altered spell list, and Bluff replaces Diplomacy as a class skill. More fun to play, I'm chaotic by nature. All variants found on the Crystalkeep website, under Base Classes PDF). Also added are the Sword of Celestia ability substitution (mount replaced by free special weapon, increases in power, eventually becoming a +2 Holy Lawful [Chaotic in my case] weapon at level 20) and the Aura of Sanctity ability substitution (ability to Turn Undead replaced by Aura of Sanctity similar to Aura of Courage, except that it grants immunity to Compulsion, Instant Death, or Petrification and bonuses to saves to those nearby).

My questions are...

1. When the Sword of Celestia ability states that the Celestial Weapon becomes a +2 Holy Lawful weapon, does that imply a +2 Magical Weapon, thus giving a bonus to attack, and a Holy weapon, doing extra damage to evil creatures and has Good subtype with a +2 enhancement cost, and a Lawful (or in my case Chaotic) alignment, for purposes of overcoming damage reduction, OR... Does it imply that the weapon is Holy and Axiomatic (in my case Anarchic), thus adding a further +2 (+4 for extra traits total, + 6 overall) to the weapon's total enhancement? OR is it a miswording, and the weapon is only a +2 enhancement, along with being of Good and Lawful alignment, for purposes of damage reduction?

2. As for the Aura of Sanctity, I chose it because I don't want to limit my effectiveness to Undead. This ability gives me better overall power, but the question remains: Immunity to Death effects, or Petrification? I already have immunity to Compulsion, but I'm torn. Instant death is nice to avoid, but I have little experience with petrification. Is it as big a pain as Death effects? Which would result in better, well, results?

3. Opinion on the variant race, please. It's more or less the same as the Wizard's variant, I see no reason why it shouldn't lack an LA. Also, opinion on the skill cuts, I think that I could probably keep 'em at full without much impact.

4. Miscellaneous question - is Brilliant Energy a good addition to a weapon? I know it KILLS effectiveness against Undead, but I intend to get someone to make me a Warhammer of Disruption, so that's not an issue. I'm just wondering if I should shoot for a Halberd of Brilliant Energy later on.

Much thanks for reading through this, detail is important to me.

Last edited:

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Hey, umm, is anyone going to help with this? Sorry to seem needy, but this is an important question that I need answered before my next game. I won't be able to contact my DM for a bit, so if nobody knows, its OK, I'm just worried that my post escaped notice, and it took a while to write...

- Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Cha, -2 Con.
- Size and Type: Medium Outsider (Native)
- Speed: 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision.
- Spell-like Ability: Light (1/Day) as a 1st-level caster or a caster of his class levels, whichever is higher.
- +2 to Listen and Spot checks.
- Elemental Resistance: Resistance 5 to one of (Acid, Electrical, or Cold), chosen at creation.
- +2 bonus on saves vs. Petrification.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Paladin.

That's about the high end of LA +0.

1) +2 Holy Anarchic (weapon).
2) Death Effects.
3) Go with my version, as Level Adjustments are the suck; no, really. Avoid them like the plague.
4) Go with a Brilliant Energy Greatsword and a Greathammer (Races of Stone) of Disruption.

-TRRW

Last edited:

Nazhkandrias

First Post
I think that resistance 5 to those elements is a bit much for LA +0, so I was going to keep that at resistance 2. Also, the bonus to petrification saves isn't used for an Aasimar, so I'll probably leave that out. Taking that stuff down seems to justify Darkvision 60 ft. and the +2 to Wis and Cha and the -2 to Con, don't you think? That seems about right.

I agree, I hate LA's. As for the Holy Anarchic thing... It didn't state that it was Anarchic or Axiomatic, it just said Lawful AND Holy. Is that just a miswording? I wouldn't get the Anarchic trait until level 20 anyway, but I just need to know.

And is the Greathammer 2-handed? The main reason I picked the Warhammer is because it's a good 1-handed bludgeoning weapon. I wanted to be able to use it with a shield (giving a little more versatility with combat style; 2-handed powerhouse or shielded defender) without having to take a feat for a hand-and-a-half exotic weapon. And why Greatsword? Wouldn't a Halberd work just about as well, considering the lower price, ability to pierce, trip capability, and ability to be set against a charge? I'll take that for two less damage and 40 more GP.

Oh, and thanks for answering the question. It's not that I was trying to bump a post up like a noob out for attention, I just have a game coming up and my DM likes to know class features in advance.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Nazhkandrias said:
My questions are...

1. When the Sword of Celestia ability states that the Celestial Weapon becomes a +2 Holy Lawful weapon, does that imply a +2 Magical Weapon, thus giving a bonus to attack, and a Holy weapon, doing extra damage to evil creatures and has Good subtype with a +2 enhancement cost, and a Lawful (or in my case Chaotic) alignment, for purposes of overcoming damage reduction, OR... Does it imply that the weapon is Holy and Axiomatic (in my case Anarchic), thus adding a further +2 (+4 for extra traits total, + 6 overall) to the weapon's total enhancement? OR is it a miswording, and the weapon is only a +2 enhancement, along with being of Good and Lawful alignment, for purposes of damage reduction?

My understanding is that the Lawful portion means that it can overcome DR/Lawful, NOT that it is Axiomatic. So it is a +2 sword that also has the Holy special ability (a +2 bonus equivalent) that overcomes DR/Lawful.

Nazhkandrias said:
3. Opinion on the variant race, please. It's more or less the same as the Wizard's variant, I see no reason why it shouldn't lack an LA. Also, opinion on the skill cuts, I think that I could probably keep 'em at full without much impact.

Custom designing your own race, with an eye one what class you want it to fit in? Has your GM ok'd this? It looks a bit potent for LA +0, but maybe on-par with the dwarf.

Nazhkandrias said:
4. Miscellaneous question - is Brilliant Energy a good addition to a weapon? I know it KILLS effectiveness against Undead, but I intend to get someone to make me a Warhammer of Disruption, so that's not an issue. I'm just wondering if I should shoot for a Halberd of Brilliant Energy later on.

Brilliant energy ignores non-natural armor. So it's really only useful against plate-mail wearing opponents. If you think the majority of your opponents are going to be encased in that sort of armor, it might be a good investment. Also, I'd like to add that if you added this to your "special +2 holy lawful" weapon, that would make it the equivalent of at least a +8 weapon (+2 enhancement +2 for holy +4 for brilliant energy +? for lawful).

Much thanks for reading through this, detail is important to me.[/QUOTE]

Nazhkandrias said:
Well, I wasn't really putting in a RACIAL bonus to petrification saves. Aura of Sanctity grants immunity to death, compulsion or petrification as a class feature. And I think that resistance 5 to those elements is a bit much for LA +0, so I was going to keep that at resistance 2 and maybe bring Listen and Spot bonuses to +2. That seems about right. Anybody disagree or have info on my other questions? The main one that has me thinking is the Sword of Celestia one.

Oh, and thanks for answering the question. It's not that I was trying to bump a post up like a noob out for attention, I just have a game coming up and my DM likes to know class features in advance.

Resistance to *one* of those elements. Also the racial bonus on petrification is a hold over from other celestials that I'd assumed baseline aasimars recieved (which they don't, so feel free to scrap it). Resistances that don't fit into the standard 5/10/15/20 system are hard to judge, so it's an all (5) or nothing (0) game.

Rereading the description, I think Icy had it right about the Lawful property.

- Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Cha, -2 Con.
- Low-Light Vision.
- Spell-like Ability: Light (1/Day) as a 1st-level caster or a caster of his class levels, whichever is higher.
- +2 to Listen and Spot checks.
- Energy Resistance: Choose one of (Acid, Electrical, or Cold). Gain Resistance 5 to that energy type.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.

Once more, with feeling. Your original example is a strong LA +1, so I'd advise toning it down a bit, more along the lines of my second attempt; keep the flavor without all the things pushing it into the LA +1 range.

-TRRW

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Yeah, that seems perfect. Except for the stats - don't they seem a little low? Constitution is a tough penalty to take, it isn't really balanced out by a minor bonus like Wisdom or Charisma. None of the racial features are screamingly awesome, so I think balanced stats is about fair. I like that part about choosing one resistance - gives a sense of individuality to the race. But still, the Wizards of the Coast website (official article) gave a +2 bonus to all resistances for a no LA Aasimar, so I think that the 5/10/15/20 rule isn't of major issue. Resistance just cuts out 2 damage from an attack of the type, so subtracting isn't too tough to do or judge. My idea -

- Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Con.
- Low-Light Vision.
- +1 to Listen and Spot checks.
- Energy Resistance: Acid 2, Cold 2, Electricity 2.

I think that puts it at a +0 LA on par with most common races. The stats are balanced, so they really don't affect the LA too much. A bonus to Cha doesn't justify a penalty to a big stat like Con or Str, but a bonus to Wis and Cha fits nicely.

And my questions about the weapon are answered, thanks.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
Care to post a link to the WotC LA +0 Aasimar?

-TRRW

Here is one:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

From the Savage Progressions article. Simply take only the “base” race (and no LA) and don’t take the racial level (no hit die for them if note).

Also pages 190 and 191 of the Player’s Guide to Faerun cover another couple of options for “planetouched”.

One uses negative levels and the other makes them susceptible to things that affect both outsiders and humanoids. (Called Lesser planetouched)

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Oh, sorry I didn't post that sooner! Thanks, Irdeggman. Yeah, I was basing it off of that, but messing with it a bit. I was reluctant to give up the bonus to Wisdom. Plus, on a roleplaying note, I didn't want to play a low-powered Aasimar. I wanted a character with a unique lineage, possessing a VERY distant relationship with a celestial being (as such, he blends into human society a bit more, but retains his divine connection). Not a Half-Aasimar, but maybe someone who had an Aasimar as a great-grandmother and an angel as a great-great-great-great-GREAT-grandfather. Hence, the modifications. Enough to separate the two, but not completely different ideas.

The only real differences is better balanced stats (I hate giving even small bonuses to stats with no balance, and penalizing Intelligence or Charisma wouldn't make any sense at all, so another had to be added to justify Constitution, a more understandable loss), replacement of Darkvision (a powerful ability, to be sure), and halving the skill bonuses (as with half-elves, the power has diminished, but not dissapeared).

Remove ads