The Logic (or Lack of) in D&D

We had a slightly strange yet funny moment in my D&D session last night. The Sorcerer was Flying and Invisible. He flew over the top of the Yuan-Ti and Kobold that the party was fighting so I asked him to make a Move Silently roll to see if they can hear him.

The player thought it was a bit silly since he wasn't actually doing anything besides flying in a straight line but I ruled that he might have items knocking together in the wind and making some noise.

The player rolled reasonably well and told me his Move Silently check. Just as I was about to roll the baddies Listen checks, he said, "Wait, I get a +5 due to my Boot of Elvenkind." The whole table cracked up laughing! :lol:

As illogical as it seemed that a pair of boots helped you fly more silently, I still let him keep the +5 from them and he went past the baddies without them noticing.

From a reality point of view it really doesn't make sense but I have gotten to the stage now where I realise that D&D rules and their ability to simulate reality diverge in many places. I accept that and just don't worry whether or not it makes complete logical sense. Of course, this is a place where people throw around Fireballs, fly around and and fight Dragons and other strange beasts. Reality in a D&D world is obviously very different to ours.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Olaf the Stout

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
In our old campaign, this sort of thing was always explained as "FM". F***ing magic. No further explanation was possible, or, usually, necessary.

In my game, the hierarchy for handling any situation is:

1. Common Sense.
2. Rules.

I don't think I'd have asked for a roll at all, in this situation. I definitey wouldn't allow elven boots to modify the roll. The rules are your servant, not your master.

My $0.02, for what it's worth...

It *is* called Move Silently, not Walk Silently; ergo, you would have to make such checks even when not Walking. There'd be a hefty bonus in the above situation, though.

Also, the Boots provide a bonus not because they're soft and make less crunchy noises when walking, but because they provide a magical sound reducing field. That's how I'd play it, anyway.

-TRRW

theredrobedwizard said:
Also, the Boots provide a bonus not because they're soft and make less crunchy noises when walking, but because they provide a magical sound reducing field.
Aha! I finally understand why people wearing elven boots always look like they're shouting and screaming to make themselves heard! It's kinda like the "talking with headphones on" thing... :D

Philotomy Jurament said:
In my game, the hierarchy for handling any situation is:

1. Common Sense.
2. Rules.

I don't think I'd have asked for a roll at all, in this situation. I definitey wouldn't allow elven boots to modify the roll. The rules are your servant, not your master.

My $0.02, for what it's worth...

I reasoned that a roll was needed because there could quite easily be wind blowing you around up there. The character in question was carrying a spiked chain. I imagine that it could make quite a bit of noise as it jangled around.

I also reasoned that the boots should modify the roll because of a reasoning much like the Red Robed Wizard suggested. They are magical.

Olaf the Stout

Sir Elton

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Olaf the Stout

When I run campaigns, I stress about wind patterns, the Coriolis effect, dumb things like Supervolcanoes, etc. I'm a Simulationist. So, yeah, I would say: "no, you don't."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases