Parting Gifts

Jemal

Adventurer
kinem said:
On diplomacy: As an old school player, I don't like to rely on die rolls for social skills. That's not to say the roll won't matter, but the effect on an NPC will not be automatic. Instead, I'll take into account how well you rolled when judging whether the NPC takes your words in a favorable or unfavorable light, and will roleplay the NPC accordingly. If your actual words are not diplomatic though, the roll won't save you. If your real-life mental skills don't match those of your PC, tough. If your roll is bad though, it could still count against you :p
Sounds good, I often give bonuses/penalties for how the player actually roleplays it..

The only problem with that is that people play D&D to do what they cannot do in real life. What if a person who's completely tactless and uncharismatic in real life wants to try being a smooth talker? He's screwed! I mean, would you give me penalties to spellcasting because I cant pronounce fordigulma and don't know the words to the fireball spell Out of character? Or would you tell someone their character missed on his Katana attack b/c they (the player) don't know kendo?
I agree social skills are different, but it can't be quite so cut + dried...

BTW, the DM will roll all dice.
I usually prefer this for PBP, also.

But since the PCs will get slaughtered anyway, I can afford to be generous.
*Insert maniacal laughter here* Don't tempt fate.
My RL gaming group specializes in destroying DM's, which is why I'm the only person left in the City of Gamers that will DM for them (Well, others try every once in a while, then remember why they stopped). The only way you can say a group'll get slaughtered is if either A) they're goign against something far too powerful (In which case they've still got about a 20% chance of survival, 5% chance of winning) OR B) you're going to ignore the rules 100% and just say "Bob dies"

Writing up Kurina now, btw.

kinem

Adventurer
Jemal said:
The only problem with that is that people play D&D to do what they cannot do in real life. What if a person who's completely tactless and uncharismatic in real life wants to try being a smooth talker? He's screwed!

Not completely. He can read books by Dale Carnegie or the like, improve his real-life skills, then come back to the game for the real test ;)

Jemal

Adventurer
I just realized your first post says not to completely stat out characters yet, until you've decided who's in... Have you made any decisions yet? Should I go ahead and post up Kurina?

kinem

Adventurer
There have been enough applications so I think I should move up the recruiting deadline. Recruiting will close to new applicants at 10:00 pm EST 3/15/07. If you have been lurking and still want to apply, post at least just to indicate interest before that time and I will allow time for you to submit something.

Don't post stats yet. So far (in no particular order) the applicants are:

Wrahn: Thurgan Deneval - Half-Orc Bard/Barbarian/Dragon Disciple. Freq: unknown
Clutching Yggdrasil: Zacharia Te'Ashun - Elf Paladin / Rogue. Freq: 5/week
Jemal: Kurina - Elven Female Ranger/Sorc/Horizon Walker/Arcane Archer. Freq: daily
Brother Allard: Willem - Human Fighter. Freq: daily
Lord_Raven88: ? - Dread Necromancer. Freq: unknown
Shayuri: ? - Paladin or Druid. Freq: daily
Voidrazor: Haessellekh - Elan Wizard / Psion / PrC. Freq: every 2 days

sans

First Post
I'd like to apply. I'll probably submit a cleric build.

I usually post once a day. Once every two days minimum.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
kinem said:
Raven: While the DD is generally considered a weak class, the dread necromancer is on the powerful side. You get light armor, the ability to heal yourself at will (if you are undead or take the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat; note a regular lich can NOT heal himself with his touch), up to 9th level spells, rebuke undead, and various extras like tougher animated dead.

But since the PCs will get slaughtered anyway, I can afford to be generous. I have reconsidered and would allow lich :p

If I did allow a necropolitan, it would be at +1 LA.
Um cool. I think :heh:

I was cerntain that you were going to turn me down so I started work on a Human Fleshwarper :cool:

But I'm happy to give the DN ago, I think he will be powerful, but potentially he wont have as many options as a normal arcane caster. I guess we'll see.

BTW way I should be able to post at least once every two days, possibly more.

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
OK, recruiting is closed to new applicants. Welcome, sans.

As of now, these applications have at least the minimum information, which is character name, personality, background, classes, and player post rate:

Jemal: Kurina - Elven Female Ranger/Sorc/Horizon Walker/Arcane Archer. Freq: daily

Clutching Yggdrasil: Zacharia Te'Ashun - Elf Paladin / Rogue. Freq: 5/week

Brother Allard: Willem - Human Fighter. Freq: daily

These applications are incomplete:

Wrahn: Thurgan Deneval - Half-Orc Bard/Barbarian/Dragon Disciple. Freq: unknown
missing: post rate

Lord_Raven88: ? - Dread Necromancer. Freq: every 2 days
missing: PC name, personality, background

Shayuri: ? - Paladin or Druid. Freq: daily
missing: PC name, choice of class

Voidrazor: Haessellekh - Elan Wizard / Psion / PrC. Freq: every 2 days
missing: class build

sans: ? - Cleric. Freq: every 2 days to daily
missing: PC name, personality, background

Selection:

It's always hard to select people for a game, and I know it's no fun to work on a character and not have it selected - it's happened to me and probably to everyone. But it's necessary to limit the number of players. Luckily there are always other interesting games popping up here.

I'll try to keep this game moving along and post rate matters, though most or all of you seem to post often enough.

I will make the final selections on or before Sunday, March 19. I'm not choosing yet because of the incomplete applications. If your application is not complete by Sunday evening, it will not be chosen. I will re-open applications if there are not at least 4 complete applications by then. But I expect to choose a total of 5 PCs. Have fun!

Shayuri

First Post
I was waiting to see where the other apps would go before settling. Since it seems like we have a paladin already, I shall go with my druid concept.

Shayuri: 'Grandfather' - Druid - freq: Daily

Voidrazor

First Post
Since Tainted Scholar is (quite reasonably) out, I'll just go with Wiz 7 / Psion (Seer) 3 / Cerebremancer 10. In terms of post frequency, I'd like to clarify. While my response time is only every other day or faster, I've played a lot of online games over the years, but never dropped one once started.

sans

First Post
Yolo Hallowberry, "The Red Halfling", Humble servant of Fharlanghn
Neutral Good Halfling
Cleric 18 / Heirophant 2
Domains: Protection, Travel

[sblock=background]
The best way to understand Yolo Hallowberry is to first understand why he received his nickname, "The Red Halfling". The reason for the nickname is obvious. Yolo dresses in bright red garments: a shimmering crimson cloak, scarlet tinted breastplate, and dark red leggings with matching boots. He obviously wants to attract attention, but why? For what reason? Answer these questions, and one finally understands Yolo Hallowberry.

Recall that at the beginning of the Second World War, the Main Road was overloaded with countless refugees fleeing from every major city in Bylan and Chovia.

At first, the refugees were easy targets for greedy bandits. Later, the poor travelers were set upon by the Sasoguese who relished violence and showed no mercy. At the worst times, the enemy army would massacre vast numbers of refugees in order to supply bodies for their undead divisions. After the war, as the refugees returned home, monsters of all variety would attack. Though malnourished, the refugees were such easy prey. Even the largest of beasts could have it's fill.

Among all this hopelessness, a few brave and compassionate heroes defended the refugees. Always outnumbered, the defenders risked everything and many died for the cause. One such defender was Yolo. Throughout the war he patrolled the Main Road, and lived among the refugees and sacrificed everything to defended them.

One might be asking how all this relates to the Yolo's red garb and thus to his nickname. Please allow one more digression.

Before the war, the fishermen of Green River held a fishing contest every spring. Yolo grew up in Green River and watched many of these contests. During the fishing contest, the contestants used long poles on which one end was tied a long piece of string. At the end of the string, was tied a barbed hook. The idea of the contest was to try and coax fish into biting the hook. The fisherman who caught the heaviest fish would win. In order to lure the fish into biting the hook, the contestants would tie pieces of bright red yarn onto the hook.

So now one sees how this all relates. Yolo was a piece of bright red yarn floating in a vast stream of refugees. The bandits, the Sasoguese, the monsters were fish distracted into chasing "The Red Halfling."

Finally, the questions presented above can be answered.

Why does Yolo Hallowberry wear bright red garments?
To attract the attention of monsters.

Why does Yolo want to attract the attentions of monsters?
To save the lives of the helpless.

Hopefully, one now truly understands Yalo Hallowberry, "The Red Halfling".
[/sblock]
I typed up this background from 2:00AM to 3:40 AM. I sure hope it does not sound lame when I read it tomorrow afternoon :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases