Who is Ashardalon?

victorysaber

First Post
I know he is a very powerful red dragon.

I know his tongue is a planar touchstone, a volcano in one of the planes.

I know he ruled part of the Prime Material once, that he fought the druidic Church of the Elements but had his heart destroyed by their leader, the druid Dydd.

I know he used a powerful balor, Ammet, as a replacement heart.

I know he invaded the Bastion of Unborn Souls in order to achieve immortality.

What other lore is there about Ashardalon?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
That sounds like a pretty complete listing of all the lore on Ashardalon as far as I can tell. If I'm not mistaken, Ashardalon was a unique creation of Bruce Cordell's for the Bastion of Broken Souls, and references to him have since appeared in the Planar Handbook and the Draconomicon.

Edit: Ashardalon might have appeared in other adventures in WotC's first adventure path. I'm not aware of any references, prior to Bastion of Broken Souls or afterwards because Bastion of Broken Souls was the only module in the series that I bought.

Last edited:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I think I saw the name in an older 2e source I no longer have but think it was just a name in passing. Its been a long time since I got rid of my 2e stuff in the mid-nineties.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
After some checking, it seems Ashardalon appears as a vestige in Dragon Magic. I'm not sure if it simply reiterates what is already known about the wyrm, or adds more details.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Darth Shoju said:
Isn't he also mentioned in Heart of Nightfang Spire?

Can you tell me where? He's definitely mentioned in The Sunless Citadel and both he and Dydd are part of the backstory to The Standing Stone. I've run both of these adventures in my long-running Freeport game which is due to end with Bastion (and my colossal red dragon mini!) so I'm quite keen on tracking down all these little bits of lore.

What does it say in Dragon Magic about him as a vestige?

Cheers

Richard

He's mentioned in Heart of Nightfang Spire. At the intro and the end of the adventure.

Spoiler below (highlight to see):
In fact, the heart of Nightfang Spire is his heart.

Remove ads