Dragonlance Unconverted Dragonlance creatures

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Ravenmantle said:
The astral dragon is no longer considered part of official continuity and I think the ice bear is just a standard polar bear or perhaps a dire or advanced version of the polar bear.

Right. There were a lot of creatures we never bothered to convert because they were, for all intents and purposes, an old creature with some random extra thing added that wasn't really all that exciting.

One of the cool things is that the original modules were a haven for MM2 and FF creatures from 1st edition. Literally dozens and dozens of weird and wonderful monsters from those books that hardly saw use anywhere else.

Cheers,
Cam

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Brilliant, thanks for the updates Ravemantle and Cam. I've removed a whole bunch of creatures from the list. (But not the ones removed from continuity because, technically, they remain unconverted creatures...)

Cam, I can't see the shimmerweed anywhere in the KoD errata document. What am I missing?

Big Mac

Explorer
Thanks to Cam and Ravenmantle for coming here to help.

Cam Banks said:
A lot of these are either already converted (with a new name) or not considered part of continuity (like the astral dragons and kodragons) and thus won't be converted.

...and...

Cam Banks said:
Dragon, Astral, Unmated - Dragon / No longer in continuity
Curotai - Aberration / No longer in continuity
Dragon, Spider - True Dragon / No longer in continuity
Spider Horse - Aberration / No longer in continuity

I know that a few things (like Wild Elves) are not treated as "official" anymore, but there is bound to be someone out there who wants to use the few monsters that MWP and the Whitestone Council don't like. :D (Bad Dragonlance is still Dragonlance and needs your love as much as good Dragonlance! ;) )

How about these get converted, but have a warning note added to them to let people know that they conflict with other elements of the Dragonlance universe? That way fans can make up their own mind.

...and if Echohawk is willing to do all the crunchy work, you can leave DL's "ugly monsters" to him and send all the fans of these creatures over here! It seems like a win-win scenario to me. :D

Cam Banks said:
Dwarf, Zakhar - Humanoid / Races of Ansalon, Dark Dwarf

What about the size issue raised by Echohawk? Should 3.X Zakhar Dwarves be pumped up to normal Dark Dwarf size or should the Dark Dwarf stats be adjusted down to create small size creatures?

Cam Banks said:
Shimmerweed - Plant / Now a hazard; Key of Destiny errata supplement

Here is the link to save Echohawk time:
Errata: Key of Destiny

Cam Banks said:
Hurdu - Humanoid / Not converted, use lizard folk
Ice Vampire - Undead / Not converted
Weapon, Living - Construct / Not converted
Chaos Sentinel - Elemental / Not converted

Aha! So there are still a few that need to be done. I don't feel quite so bad about the half-a-million unconverted SJ monsters now. :D

I didn't see Hurdu mentioned. Is it an alternative name for Fastclaw and Warclaw versions of the Zhakar Lizards. I don't have Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn, so haven't heard of them.

Big Mac

Explorer
Echohawk said:
Cam, I can't see the shimmerweed anywhere in the KoD errata document. What am I missing?

I can't see them either. And I can't see them mentioned in the Key of Destiny Errata thread in the Dragonlance Forums. (I've even looked for things with similar names, in case this was a name change issue.)

Did you mix this up with one of the other errata or do I need to go to Specsavers?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Thanks Dragonhelm. I was able to eliminate five more from the list by checking the Nexus Bestiary. Only 13 unconverted creatures left for Dragonlance now.

Big Mac

Explorer
Dragonhelm said:
If you do convert any other DL monsters, please feel free to submit them to the Nexus.

I'd actualy turn Dragonhelm's invitation around and make it a request, Echohawk. If you know of any conversions that are missing from the Nexus Bestiary, please submit them to the Nexus.

Dragonlance Nexus is the leading DL fan website (and according to the WotC forums it is the official Dragonlance website). People are going to go looking for conversions over there. While your own conversion project is a good place for people to look for all D&D monsters, it makes sense for Dragonlance Nexus to have a copy of everything possible.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
The Nexus is perfect for those monsters MWP wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, yes. :)

Echohawk - I'm somewhat misremembering. I know we had shimmerweed planned for Key of Destiny, but it looks like it never made it even into an errata document! I will see if I can find the original writeup and I'll pass it on to the Nexus.

Cheers,
Cam

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Echohawk said:
Thanks Dragonhelm. I was able to eliminate five more from the list by checking the Nexus Bestiary. Only 13 unconverted creatures left for Dragonlance now.

Excellent! Glad I could be of help.

You might check out our forums at DragonlanceForums.com and see if you can get the community to give a hand. They love doing projects like this. :)

Cam Banks said:
The Nexus is perfect for those monsters MWP wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, yes. :)

As always, I appreciate the support. :)

Big Mac

Explorer
Cam Banks said:

Dragonlance Nexus - built by tinker gnomes - run by gully dwarves! :p ;)

Dragonhelm said:
You might check out our forums at DragonlanceForums.com and see if you can get the community to give a hand. They love doing projects like this. :)

I can highly recommend hunting down the threads in those forums that have fan artwork. There are a bunch of artists that are doing artwork for the Dragonlance Lexicon (Dragonlance Nexus's encyclopedia of all things DL) and the Dragonlance Nexus Bestiary. If you ask nicely they might make a picture of some of these unconverted Dragonlance critters.

Remove ads