Planescape, Inner Planes and Guide to the Astral Plane

Edheldur

First Post
I just got the PlaneScape BS, Planes of Chaos, Planes of Law and Planes of Conflict and, while haven't read them all yet, I am really impressed. So I was wondering if The Guide to the Astral Plane and The Inner Planes were worth getting (that is, IF I can get a copy of those for a reasonable price).

Banshee16

First Post
In terms of additional planar supplements, I like best, in order:

Guide to the Astral
Guide to the Ethereal
Guide to the Elemental Planes

The naming may not be correct....but those are the topics they cover...you'll have to search for the correct books.

As other posters have said, there was very little Planescape material that *wasn't* good. Most of that line was TSR at their best.

Banshee

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Edheldur said:
I just got the PlaneScape BS, Planes of Chaos, Planes of Law and Planes of Conflict and, while haven't read them all yet, I am really impressed. So I was wondering if The Guide to the Astral Plane and The Inner Planes were worth getting (that is, IF I can get a copy of those for a reasonable price).

If you like the Planescape boxed sets, then most of the rest of the line will probably be "worth getting" - a few of the non-mega adventures are a bit on the less impressive side, but the line as a whole pretty much rises to the standard that those boxed sets set. Even if you're not playing 2e, the books are more flavor and ideas than rules for the most part and are easily adapted to 3e play.

Edheldur

First Post
Jer said:
Even if you're not playing 2e, the books are more flavor and ideas than rules for the most part and are easily adapted to 3e play.
Actually, that is preciselly the reason I got the Boxed Sets. I love the 3E MotP mechanics-wise, but the flavor can't even compare to the original Planescape.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Be sure to pickup a copy of Player's Primer to the Outlands. It doesn't go into a whole lot of detail on the Gatetowns (I wish it had more info), but it's nice & has some info on a few Outlands locations.

On Hallowed Ground has a few nice maps of several of the Outer Planes. It's a good book about deities but I don't know if it's worth buying just for the maps. But if you like fluff about gods, this is a good read.

Also, several of the PS adventures are also nice to have for additional planar fluff. Off the top of my head, I would suggest:

Fires of Dis - for very cool Baator fluff taking place on the 1st & 2nd layers (including Tiamat's Lair!)

Deva Spark - kind of a campy dull adventure, but it has some ok encounters you could use to spice up a trip in Elysium.

If you are interested in Sigil fluff, there's a boatload more PS books you can pickup for good material on Sigil.

Clueless

Webmonkey
They're definately worth it - I can't think of too many Planescape releases that aren't worth it really. In the meantime you can also hit up planewalker for extra material or quick primers on obscure subjects. Chapter 7 of the PSCS is a Lot of in character information on Sigil as well for 'less canon' resources.

Edheldur

First Post
Clueless said:
...In the meantime you can also hit up planewalker for extra material or quick primers on obscure subjects. Chapter 7 of the PSCS is a Lot of in character information on Sigil as well for 'less canon' resources....
That's what I've been doing and what convinced me to get the boxed sets.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Those two books are really nice, and most of the details in the Inner Planes book have yet to be covered in any 3.x book. Great resource on the elemental planes and the energy planes. The Astral sourcebook is also great, both for the discussion of the plane itself, dead gods, and for the chapter devoted to the githyanki.

Banshee16

First Post
Shemeska said:
and for the chapter devoted to the githyanki.

mmmm...githyanki.....that was one of my favourite parts of the book. I absolutely loved the picture of the githyanki astral ship hunting down the astral whale..

And as to the guide to the ethereal, that station hanging in the middle of nowhere, at the edge f a tear in the plane to...somewhere else, was pretty cool.

Banshee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases