Pet Food Company Recalls Dog and Cat Food

Darth K'Trava

First Post
For those of us Enworlders who have cats and dogs.

MenuFoods Recall Article

Link to the company's website: Menufoods

From what it looks like, it seems to be mainly canned food. Although I should bring up to the vet on Tues if the same symptoms, mainly vomiting, is something similar from feeding all my cats a bag of Chef's Blend dry food..... They're not eating it anymore.

The details are pretty scary ... traced the root cause to the wheat, which was processed in Canada from wheat imported from China, where it had been treated with a chemical equivalent to rat poison -- a chemical that will kill a pet in very small quantities.

Chimera

First Post
My Story in all this;

On December 10th, my 15 year old girl began vomiting. She couldn't keep anything down.

On December 12th, I awoke to her howling like death. I came out to find my 4 month old kitten boy extremely lethargic, barely able to move. I was running late for work and only had time to run for medicine for the girl, so I decided that I'd take the kitten to the vet the next day.

When I came home from work, he was dead.

The vet's first question was about Poison. I certainly didn't have anything in my house that I was aware of! It was a huge shock and hard blow with no answers.

My girl suffered on. Vet tests a week later showed nothing wrong (viral, feline leukemia test, kidney function, liver function). I undertook heroic efforts to save her, but she ultimately died in early February. Her kidneys and liver had failed at the end.

Last Thursday (3/22), I got an e-mail from PetSmart PetPerks, saying that their PetPerks records showed that I had indeed purchased some of the affected product. (Score one for corporate record keeping and customer loyalty programs!)

Now I'm trying to contact one of the firms filing a class action suit, but their e-mail and site seem to have some problems. I am certainly willing to testify if the suit is tried locally.

The loss of my two cats was a hard blow, coming after losing my pride and joy, my 20 year old boy, in June. As my lease is up at the end of May, I decided against even thinking about new cats until later when I knew where I'd be living. I was (and still am) intent on moving, because I've lost three cats in this place. It's also hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

However, Life had other plans. Just before two major snow storms in early March, an 8-12 month old female cat wandered into my parent's garage 20 miles from here. They tried calling Animal Control and the Police, but neither would come and get it. So I took it "temporarily", until they could find the owner. Ten days and nearly two feet of snow later, no one had made any efforts to look for the cat, put up signs or canvas the neighborhood. There were no ads in the papers. I called my mother and said "No more looking, she's mine now".

Her name is Raido, meaning to travel or a journey.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I'm really sorry for your loss, man. :(

I'm happy though to see that the universe has set itself right and a cat in need has a new loving home.

frankthedm

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
The details are pretty scary ... traced the root cause to the wheat, which was processed in Canada from wheat imported from China, where it had been treated with a chemical equivalent to rat poison -- a chemical that will kill a pet in very small quantities.
What surprises me is the Big names of Eukanuba and Iams were part of this. This will sound horrible, but cheap pet foods cutting corners and winding up with a situation like this I could picture, but IME folks buy The Big Names to avoid even the thought of the slightest possiblity of this Worst Case Senario.

One buys the name brand for peace of mind. This case almost invalidates that, almost because a lot of those pet food names sound like 'off brand bargains'.
buzzard said:
Just so people know, I called Iams after being informed of this, since that's what I feed my dog, and I have a new bag waiting to be doled out. It's apparently only the wet dogfood. Iams said that their dry products weren't affected.
If a pet food brand I bought for my pets was recalled for something like this, I would not be feeding my pets that brand ever again. What happed was a shining example of a mistake only seppuku can make up for.

Last edited:

frankthedm said:
What surprises me is the Big names of Eukanuba and Iams were part of this. This will sound horrible, but cheap pet foods cutting corners and winding up with a situation like this I could picture, but IME folks buy The Big Names to avoid even the thought of the slightest possiblity of this Worst Case Senario.

One buys the name brand for peace of mind. This case almost invalidates that, almost because a lot of those pet food names sound like 'off brand bargains'. If a pet food brand I bought for my pets was recalled for something like this, I would not be feeding my pets that brand ever again. What happed was a shining example of a mistake only seppuku can make up for.

What most people don't know that this case brings out is that the "Big Names" really aren't -- they were all subcontracting to Menu foods to produce their receipes.

I'm just glad my wife is a pet food nut, and feeds only organic food or home-cooked food, where she can clearly identify the ingredients. She's done that for years because of our dogs' food allergies, and these problems just reinforced that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases